Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-07-2019, 03:19 PM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default Family Asking for Refund

Hi! So I closed Friday due to a stomach bug going around that I just could not get rid of. I had someone throw up Monday in childcare and then again 2 more on Thursday. There were several kids out on and off the last 2 weeks due to some form of virus that was causing diarrhea and vomiting. On Thursday afternoon, sometime after lunch, when the 2nd child threw up for the day I decided I was going to close Friday so I could sanitize and air out the daycare room. My polices state that if I close, a parent does not pay. Iíve never been faced with this situation where I need to close to not deal with another child throwing up. (I had another mom text me on Friday that their child started throwing up as well) anyways, the parent asking for a refund is the same parent that brought their child on Thursday when their child went to bed throwing up weds night (which is against my policies) but I didnít find out until later that day. How do I go about this? I obviously donít want to refund anyoneís money but when people donít keep their sick kids home, I am forced at some point to close to get things under control. Whatcha ladies say?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
Hi! So I closed Friday due to a stomach bug going around that I just could not get rid of. I had someone throw up Monday in childcare and then again 2 more on Thursday. There were several kids out on and off the last 2 weeks due to some form of virus that was causing diarrhea and vomiting. On Thursday afternoon, sometime after lunch, when the 2nd child threw up for the day I decided I was going to close Friday so I could sanitize and air out the daycare room. My polices state that if I close, a parent does not pay. Iíve never been faced with this situation where I need to close to not deal with another child throwing up. (I had another mom text me on Friday that their child started throwing up as well) anyways, the parent asking for a refund is the same parent that brought their child on Thursday when their child went to bed throwing up weds night (which is against my policies) but I didnít find out until later that day. How do I go about this? I obviously donít want to refund anyoneís money but when people donít keep their sick kids home, I am forced at some point to close to get things under control. Whatcha ladies say?
Have you discussed the fact family knowingly brought child against illness policies with family prior to them requesting a refund?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Have you discussed the fact family knowingly brought child against illness policies with family prior to them requesting a refund?
This is a termination level offense.

However, if you want to keep them (even though they broke your illness policy), you must follow your policies and refund the money. You are the one making and enforcing the policies. If you are not going to enforce them, you need to remove them from your contract. Two wrongs don't make a right.

"My policies state that if I close, a parent does not pay."
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-08-2019, 03:42 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
This is a termination level offense.

However, if you want to keep them (even though they broke your illness policy), you must follow your policies and refund the money. You are the one making and enforcing the policies. If you are not going to enforce them, you need to remove them from your contract. Two wrongs don't make a right.

"My policies state that if I close, a parent does not pay."
Yikes technically their child couldn't attend anyways cause their child threw up on Thursday right? I would go with something like that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:04 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Have you discussed the fact family knowingly brought child against illness policies with family prior to them requesting a refund?
I did bring it up to them as far as it was against the illness policy and next time he will be refused at the door. I was polite about it and just let it go. This was Thursday evening and they sent me a text Sunday asking for a refund.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 AM
redmaple's Avatar
redmaple redmaple is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 179
Default

Maybe refund for the closure and issue notice to end care.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:19 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,870
Default

Consider changing your policy to include up to 5 personal sick days per year, paid.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:54 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Consider changing your policy to include up to 5 personal sick days per year, paid.
I actually did just that. I was going to give the new contract at the end of the year to all existing families but all new families were going to receive this new contract.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:00 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
I actually did just that. I was going to give the new contract at the end of the year to all existing families but all new families were going to receive this new contract.
Perfect. That will take so much stress off of you.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:26 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
I did bring it up to them as far as it was against the illness policy and next time he will be refused at the door. I was polite about it and just let it go. This was Thursday evening and they sent me a text Sunday asking for a refund.
I would tell the family you are not terminating them for KNOWINGLY bringing a child against your illness policies and therefore will not be issuing a refund as you are both taking a hit.

You by having to close and be out funds from other paying families (who had nothing to do with THEIR disregarding the illness policy) and them by not having daycare the day you closed.

I see that as a fair outcome.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,843
Default

I would follow my policy and see it as a lesson learned. You did not enforce your sickness policy on Thursday so it is neither here nor there in my opinion. You allowed him to attend. Print out your contract revision and hand it out as soon as possibld with sick days included
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I would follow my policy and see it as a lesson learned. You did not enforce your sickness policy on Thursday so it is neither here nor there in my opinion. You allowed him to attend. Print out your contract revision and hand it out as soon as possibld with sick days included
I would normally agree however, OP wasn't aware they were breaking policy until AFTER child had already been there that day so OP did not knowingly accept child or waive her policy.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I would normally agree however, OP wasn't aware they were breaking policy until AFTER child had already been there that day so OP did not knowingly accept child or waive her policy.
Exactly this. I was brought up when they picked up that DCB also got sick the night before, before bed. Thatís why I didnít feel that a refund should be given.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
Exactly this. I was brought up when they picked up that DCB also got sick the night before, before bed. Thatís why I didnít feel that a refund should be given.
Ah ok I got confused by your post further down saying you discussed it but allowed him at daycare, sorry!! I understand now that you discussed it once you found out. How did you find out? The kid told you and parents fessed up?

In that case I agree with not issuing a refund for deliberately breaking the contract.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Ah ok I got confused by your post further down saying you discussed it but allowed him at daycare, sorry!! I understand now that you discussed it once you found out. How did you find out? The kid told you and parents fessed up?

In that case I agree with not issuing a refund for deliberately breaking the contract.
The parents fessed up when they picked up the child the next day. I ended up not issuing the refund and telling them why. They replied ok, thanks but Iím sure they arenít happy. Iím also not happy that I had to clean up vomit and sanitize everything but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-08-2019, 10:46 AM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,820
Default

I used to work for my dad when I was a kid. I asked him for a raise and he said "How's about I just let you keep your job?". Reading this post made me remember that. "How's about I just let you keep coming to my daycare?"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Mom2Two's Avatar
Mom2Two Mom2Two is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: U. S. A.
Posts: 1,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I used to work for my dad when I was a kid. I asked him for a raise and he said "How's about I just let you keep your job?". Reading this post made me remember that. "How's about I just let you keep coming to my daycare?"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Mom2Two's Avatar
Mom2Two Mom2Two is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: U. S. A.
Posts: 1,851
Default

I started having a "body fluid" fee partly for this reason. It doesn't bother some parents if their child pukes at your house or pees through their underwear that they're not really ready for.

I charge $20 because that's about how much pain I feel as I'm Lysoling my carpet or furniture and Chlorox wiping my bathroom floor after I stripped off their pee-soaked socks and washed their legs with soap. But it's also to discourage parents from bringing barfy kids.

I'm thinking of raising it to $25.

The other issue for me would be that they deliberately brought a pukey kid. That would be a big damper on a relationship for me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enforcing policies - consistency, refund

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cancelling On A New Family For A Current Family Kapick Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 03-06-2017 01:19 PM
SO Wants Me to Term Family logged out for privacy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 01-20-2014 02:37 PM
Family Childcare Training Crystal Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 10-22-2010 01:48 PM
New Family momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 06-09-2010 02:16 PM
Understanding Family Daycare Regulations Joni Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 03-12-2008 03:23 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming