Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-13-2020, 11:56 AM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 397
Default Need Help With a Letter Please

This is a little early to post, but it was on my mind and need help with wording please

A little background - I allowed dcf to drop off early and pick up late (before I open and after I close - at no extra charge) for the past 2 years when dcm schedule changes in May. It was only supposed to be as NEEDED. Silly me. I got taken advantage of and dcm was dropping off early and picking up late when dcd was home and more than capable of dropping-off/picking up his child - but just didn't want to. Dcm would also show up before opening on days that I wasn't expecting her early, so that was nice I also ended up taking dcg to a mom event at my son's school with us because I thought she needed care. Nope, dcd was home the whole time. Incidents like this happened several times.

Needless to say, I will not be allowing late pick-ups this year. It was only 8-12 minutes past closing when she would pick-up, but that seemed like forever when I have dinner to make and my own family to spend time with. I'm okay with the early drop-offs as long as it's approved before hand.

Any advice on a professionally worded letter? Should I explain that I have my own family and things to do after work and that's why it's no longer an option? I almost feel like I need to give a reason so they are more understanding and aren't wondering why I'm taking that option away from them this year.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,036
Default

Policies are easier to enforce when you do it consistently. If you are not willing to enforce them then do not have them.

Sounds like it is time for a new contract, to me. One that you enforce.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-13-2020, 12:14 PM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Policies are easier to enforce when you do it consistently. If you are not willing to enforce them then do not have them.

Sounds like it is time for a new contract, to me. One that you enforce.
I'm usually very good at enforcing my policies. I was just trying to be kind and help this family since it was only supposed to be an occasional thing. It was a lesson learned.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2020, 12:21 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
This is a little early to post, but it was on my mind and need help with wording please

A little background - I allowed dcf to drop off early and pick up late (before I open and after I close - at no extra charge) for the past 2 years when dcm schedule changes in May. It was only supposed to be as NEEDED. Silly me. I got taken advantage of and dcm was dropping off early and picking up late when dcd was home and more than capable of dropping-off/picking up his child - but just didn't want to. Dcm would also show up before opening on days that I wasn't expecting her early, so that was nice I also ended up taking dcg to a mom event at my son's school with us because I thought she needed care. Nope, dcd was home the whole time. Incidents like this happened several times.

Needless to say, I will not be allowing late pick-ups this year. It was only 8-12 minutes past closing when she would pick-up, but that seemed like forever when I have dinner to make and my own family to spend time with. I'm okay with the early drop-offs as long as it's approved before hand.

Any advice on a professionally worded letter? Should I explain that I have my own family and things to do after work and that's why it's no longer an option? I almost feel like I need to give a reason so they are more understanding and aren't wondering why I'm taking that option away from them this year.
I wouldn't even go into any type of detail as to why you can or can't accommodate and simply adopt the attitude of "just because I did, doesn't mean I always can"

Tell the parent;

Dear DCP

As of Monday, January 13, 2020 I will no longer be able to accommodate early opening or late closing. Please make sure you arrive at or AFTER 7:30 a.m. and BEFORE 5:00 p.m.

Early arrivals will not be accommodated and fees will apply to any late pick ups. Thank you for your adherence to these policies.

Signed

Daycare Provider That's Tired of Being Taken Advantage of


If the parent continues to ask why, just continue to say "It no longer works for me" or "I am no longer able to accommodate." (DON'T apologize for it either )
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2020, 12:24 PM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I wouldn't even go into any type of detail as to why you can or can't accommodate and simply adopt the attitude of "just because I did, doesn't mean I always can"

Tell the parent;

Dear DCP

As of Monday, January 13, 2020 I will no longer be able to accommodate early opening or late closing. Please make sure you arrive at or AFTER 7:30 a.m. and BEFORE 5:00 p.m.

Early arrivals will not be accommodated and fees will apply to any late pick ups. Thank you for your adherence to these policies.

Signed

Daycare Provider That's Tired of Being Taken Advantage of


If the parent continues to ask why, just continue to say "It no longer works for me" or "I am no longer able to accommodate." (DON'T apologize for it either )
Thank you! That sounds easier than trying to explain it and leaves no room for negotiation
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2020, 12:48 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
I'm usually very good at enforcing my policies. I was just trying to be kind and help this family since it was only supposed to be an occasional thing. It was a lesson learned.
I completely understand. BTDT.

My thought was that after two years it may be hard to keep them from seeing it as a contract violation on your end, a "NO" as they probably don't remember that it was extra. They may now see it as the normal, expected service and become high conflict with any changes to it.

Hopefully, it won't happen that way for you. It did go that way for me and a new contract was the solution that worked across the board.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2020, 03:06 PM
jenboo's Avatar
jenboo jenboo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,106
Default

If you decide to continue early drop offs, make sure you add a hefty fee.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:18 PM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 550
Default

I learned this same lesson about 2 months ago. What was supposed to be an occasional late pickup turned into 2 day, then 3 and then all 5 days. A whole 30 minutes after I closed for at no extra cost when parents were off around 4:30-5 and they weren’t coming until 6pm. I finally put my foot down and they put in their notice. At that point I didn’t care. I was taken advantage of for 2 years so good riddance. I was so relieved. So once the new year came I gave everyone new, more stringent contracts and spoke with each parent and said I will enforce all my policies and I will no longer allow early drop offs or late picks ups FOR ANY REASON. Good luck! You deserve to be respected.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2020, 07:26 AM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 397
Default

Thank you everyone for the replies!

I've decided not to allow early drop-offs either. I just had way too many issues last year and I don't want to deal with it again.

This board is a lifesaver! It's really helped me find my backbone when I need it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enforcing policies - consistency, late pickup letter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Letter of the Week kelsey's kids Curriculum 14 08-29-2013 06:50 AM
Help Writing A Final Payment Due Certified Letter Little Star75 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 04-24-2013 09:18 PM
Abigail Or Anyone? Need A Term Letter! marniewon Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 02-10-2011 11:00 PM
Need Feedback On Letter Please marniewon Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 23 01-27-2011 11:03 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming