Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Weekly Themes
DaycareMom 08:53 AM 01-07-2014
How do you come up with weekly themes?

I did a letter of the week, but now we have gotten through the alphabet. I was thinking of doing numbers next, but then what?

I am not looking to do a preschool curriculum or anything like that, but just a general learning theme for the week.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. TYIA!
littleblossoms 08:56 AM 01-07-2014
What about colors, shapes, snow theme for me this week, animals, matching cards
DaycareMom 08:57 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by littleblossoms:
What about colors, shapes, snow theme for me this week, animals, matching cards
I should have mentioned we have done colors and shapes too.

Matching cards?

How do you decide what your theme will be?
Annalee 09:07 AM 01-07-2014
Our themes are The New Year, Polar Animals, All About Martin Luther King, and Snow this month. We intertwine letters, number, shapes, colors, etc. into every theme. Sometimes I use The Mailbox, sometimes I just choose themes I want to use. I also go through my books and will set up a monthly calendar based on each book for the day and provide activities that go along with it. Usually, we have 4 topics each month. Science, math, literacy, multicultural, etc. activities are intertwined as well.
Blackcat31 09:11 AM 01-07-2014
Our topics or "themes" happen naturally through adult-child interactions and situations that allow for teachable moments.

Everything is potential curriculum for young children.

I don't plan for anything too far in advance.

I use the discussion time (or circle time) we have with the kids to decide what our activities for the week will be but that's as far as I look ahead.

Sometimes a topic lasts only a day or two and other times it can be weeks on end.

Depends on how interested the kids are and how deep they want to go.
littleblossoms 09:28 AM 01-07-2014
I go with flow of what the children interest are.

for snow theme we did - cut shapes of snow flake and the paint or color
read snow books
Bring some snow in and spray food coloring in and they had a blast with it
Fill snow in bottle and wash it melt
Cat Herder 10:05 AM 01-07-2014
This weeks themes are "Wet, Sticky and Not Mine" "Stop digging in there!!" and "Don't eat that!!!"

Otherwise known as wipe with tissue, drop into waste can, wash your hands, dry with paper towel, toss in waste can.... Rinse/Repeat.

I use a canned program, too... but these types of things seem to present themselves...

I did add some tags below for other threads with awesome theme ideas..
butterfly 10:17 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
Our themes are The New Year, Polar Animals, All About Martin Luther King, and Snow this month. We intertwine letters, number, shapes, colors, etc. into every theme. Sometimes I use The Mailbox, sometimes I just choose themes I want to use. I also go through my books and will set up a monthly calendar based on each book for the day and provide activities that go along with it. Usually, we have 4 topics each month. Science, math, literacy, multicultural, etc. activities are intertwined as well.
this is what I'm doing this school year too. I have weekly themes and build off of that idea to teach the academics. I typically pick themes that fit the season. For example, the fall months we did a week of apples, pumpkins, leaves, thanksgiving, snow, christmas, ice, etc.

The possibilites are endless for both your theme and what you teach within that theme. Sometimes I'll hit the library or pinterest to get some fresh ideas to match our theme. The Mailbox, mentioned previously is very helpful too.
Lianne 10:26 AM 01-07-2014
Most of my themes are connected to the holidays, season or weather within that month. November tends to be the one month in the year that I can do random themes and I just pick which ones I want to do based on my group's ages and interest.
melilley 10:34 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
this is what I'm doing this school year too. I have weekly themes and build off of that idea to teach the academics. I typically pick themes that fit the season. For example, the fall months we did a week of apples, pumpkins, leaves, thanksgiving, snow, christmas, ice, etc.

The possibilites are endless for both your theme and what you teach within that theme. Sometimes I'll hit the library or pinterest to get some fresh ideas to match our theme. The Mailbox, mentioned previously is very helpful too.
this is what I do as well.

What is The Mailbox?
butterfly 10:37 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
this is what I do as well.

What is The Mailbox?
http://www.theeducationcenter.com/ It's a magazine of sorts that you can order. Our library has it so I usually get if from there. I did have someone purchase a subscription for me this year so I'm excited to have it arrive in my mail. You can also access additional materials online. It offers great ideas and printables. I love it - use it all the time. It offers theme ideas too...
Annalee 10:51 AM 01-07-2014
http://www.theeducationcenter.com/ It's a magazine of sorts that you can order. Our library has it so I usually get if from there. I did have someone purchase a subscription for me this year so I'm excited to have it arrive in my mail. You can also access additional materials online. It offers great ideas and printables. I love it - use it all the time. It offers theme ideas too...
The Mailbox magazine comes from the website you listed.
http://www.theeducationcenter.com/
Annalee 10:54 AM 01-07-2014
Sorry, posted the wrong quote with my answer to The Mailbox! Been a long day!
melilley 11:04 AM 01-07-2014
Thanks Butterfly and dapb45! It looks neat, I think I'll sign up for the Little Learners newsletter!
Tags:theme, theme - construction, theme - farm, theme - forest, theme - jungle, theme - pirate
Reply Up