Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wahhhhhh :(
KristinsHomeCC 01:23 PM 09-11-2015
Well, I just lost my favorite DCK due to my child biting her twice in the last 5 weeks. I am so sad. I am buying the book "No more biting" and am going to read it to that little sucker 10 times a day. I CANNOT lose income because of this. He is 20 months tomorrow. Aw man this blows!!

He doesnt do it out of anger. I dont believe it is attention seeking either. He will do it (try to do it beause I shadow him 99% of the time) when another kid is going to try to grab a toy from his hands he will go to bite their hand. Its almost like anytime a part of another DCK is around his mouth, he goes to chomp. Hes got all his teeth so no teething. I say NO BITE very firmly after I remove him from the setting and sit him down. I am so sad and at a loss what to do!!
daycare 01:27 PM 09-11-2015
darn what a bummer

sorry to hear that. I have never had a biting issue, so I don't have any good advise to give you, but I know others will chime in and provide some for you!

hugs, things will get better soon.....
Josiegirl 03:12 PM 09-11-2015
He got pulled after being bitten 2x in 5 weeks? I understand(kind of) from a parent's perspective but wow, from a provider's perspective that stuff happens! And it sounds like you've done all you can to prevent it!
Hope dck isn't around any other children because when you get kids together.....
Yes, I've had biters, some only do it once, 2x, and some have a hard time stopping. Not much you can do except shadow, separate, and hope they pass through that period as fast as they can.
I'm sorry. That just sucks.
childcaremom 03:55 PM 09-11-2015
I don't know if this would have made a difference...

But what I've done in the past is to have the biter be my shadow completely for a week. 100% of the time.

Then slowly reintroduce them to the group and monitor them closely.

I also let parents know what my plan is so that they know that I am taking it seriously and have a plan in place to (hopefully) prevent it from happening again.

Good luck! My son bit once. That was the worst convo I had to have with a parent.
BabyMonkeys 04:06 PM 09-11-2015
I have one that is 20m and I've had a rough time with him wanting to bite a 14m. He bit him twice in 2 weeks, both times leaving a nice bruise, once on the face. Thank God he didn't break the skin. He had been my constant shadow for a couple of months and the 1st time I left him alone for a second he bit him again. I was sure the mother was going to pull, but thankfully she didn't. It's rough because I still can't trust him.

How old was the dck? The 20m only bites the 14m, because he is the only one that tries to steal his toys.
Laurel 05:06 PM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
He got pulled after being bitten 2x in 5 weeks? I understand(kind of) from a parent's perspective but wow, from a provider's perspective that stuff happens! And it sounds like you've done all you can to prevent it!
Hope dck isn't around any other children because when you get kids together.....
Yes, I've had biters, some only do it once, 2x, and some have a hard time stopping. Not much you can do except shadow, separate, and hope they pass through that period as fast as they can.
I'm sorry. That just sucks.

My grandson did it too while in my care. 2x in 5 weeks doesn't seem like that much to me either. I agree, it happens.

One other thing you can do is to have a long sleeved shirt/pants at your house the bitee's size. That makes the impact less if it does happen. I have told the bitee's parents that and one sent her child in protective clothes and one didn't. For the one who didn't, I provided them but redressed him at the end of the day.

I was really lucky in that the child that was bitten's parents didn't think it was much of a problem. She reminded me that her first child I had years ago was the biter while her second child was the bitee. I had forgotten all about that!

Laurel
Tags:1 year old, biting
Reply Up