Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Almost Afraid to Mention This to Parents
Shawn 04:27 PM 06-22-2016
Hey everyone.

Maybe it's just a problem for me.

I love teaching young children. I was a preschool teacher before starting my own daycare.

I spend a lot of time teaching children. Not just numbers, colors, and so on. But I really work hard to make sure my little "co-workers", will have the grounding they need to do well once they begin school. I'm sure 98% of us here can give this same testimony.

So it kind of upsets me once some parents actually realize how much their children know. It's usually after I have pointed things out to them. They will ask me if I believe their child is "really smart". I'm afraid to agree.

It's as if some parents believe the child sooo smart and developed such advanced intelligence all on their own. The next step is to pull them out of daycare to place them in an actually preschool center. I am told, " She is so smart. We want to put her in a preschool so she can learn more".

It just bothers me. It feels like you do so much and just aren't given any credit. I guess my 20 years of working in early childhood and not to mention a B.A. in Early Childhood Education Administration has nothing to do with the level of knowledge my dck's have after spending 50 hours a week for 3 years with me.

Oh. well. I can only do what I can. I do feel well knowing that my babies are pretty smart cookies.
JackandJill 05:03 PM 06-22-2016
I know exactly what you mean! I have a little 2 yr dcg who loves music, so we sing all.day.long! It is great Her mom was happy she knew so many songs, and told me it was probably from letting her watch YouTube nursery rhyme videos at home.

I got this tip from another provider, we call it "Car Talk". So now at pick up I put out a white board on a stand by the sign out sheet. On it I wrote all the different things we learned or talked about that day (songs we sand, learning games we played, if we did a fire drill that day). That way parents can talk about it on the way home. More importantly it also shows that each day that we talk about a new concepts or learned a new skill.
kendallina 06:40 PM 06-22-2016
I agree with PP. You really need to educate parents on all the activities that you are doing and all the things the kids are learning. I have a sheet that I put above the cubbies that lists the activities we did that day and I also have a facebook page where I post pics of our activities. The parents love that they get to see what their kids are doing and honestly, it helps to retain parents when they're really informed of what's going on.
Ariana 07:08 PM 06-22-2016
I am actually quite surprised, and please don't take this the wrong way, but that a person of your level of education is teaching them these things when early childhood research shows time and time again that PLAY is the most important success marker for children. If you truly want them to succeed in school, let them play. Stop trying to impress parents who don't care anyway and let kids be kids.

I personally do none of this stuff in my daycare. Maybe you are mandated to teach this stuff I don't know but I would stop. I also have parents say "did you teach them this or that" and I proudly say NO!
KiddieCahoots 07:21 PM 06-22-2016
I have to agree with Ariana, stop telling the parents about their wonderful "snowflakes"!
The more you promote their children, the more you will have this problem.
Not attacking you in anyway
Take a look at how you are translating the whole to the parents.
Keep in mind, (as often as we get carried away with our emotions) we are the teacher/educator.
AmyKidsCo 08:03 PM 06-22-2016
Meh, I don't think it matters what you say.

Around here many parents want their children in "school" (group centers) so they can "learn something" when they turn 3 because even though I'm more qualified, more educated, and have more experience than the majority of "teachers" in group centers, I'm "just a family child care provider" (=babysitter) because I work in my home.
Mike 08:22 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Meh, I don't think it matters what you say.

Around here many parents want their children in "school" (group centers) so they can "learn something" when they turn 3 because even though I'm more qualified, more educated, and have more experience than the majority of "teachers" in group centers, I'm "just a family child care provider" (=babysitter) because I work in my home.

In many cases, it's true.
After all, how can a child care provider help kids learn when they only see the kids for 50 hours a week.
Josiegirl 03:13 AM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I am actually quite surprised, and please don't take this the wrong way, but that a person of your level of education is teaching them these things when early childhood research shows time and time again that PLAY is the most important success marker for children. If you truly want them to succeed in school, let them play. Stop trying to impress parents who don't care anyway and let kids be kids.

I personally do none of this stuff in my daycare. Maybe you are mandated to teach this stuff I don't know but I would stop. I also have parents say "did you teach them this or that" and I proudly say NO!
I missed something there. Don't we all strive to 'teach' these kids? I teach them colors, shapes, etc. I'm not teaching them their multiplication tables or anything. But everything they learn, it's through active play, conversation, interaction. IF they show an interest I'll help them form letters or work on cutting, etc. I've used words such as chrysalis and exoskeleton lately, just because they've asked and we've had the opportunity to experience it firsthand through our caterpillars. We learned that worms don't have a nose or ears but they see, hear and smell things in a much different way than we do. I stick to very basic things and try to give them knowledge at their level. I think we all do that.
Josiegirl 03:16 AM 06-23-2016
And I completely agree that you're always going to have parents that still label us babysitters and all we do is watch their kids. They have little idea of what we truly do. But then you've got parents who praise your efforts and know their children picked up a lot of learning in our care. And you're always going to get parents who are quick to get them into 'real school' for one reason or another.
Shawn 07:08 AM 06-23-2016
Good Morning Everyone.

I appreciate all comments. And it takes a lot to offend me. Especially, after I have put my own butt out there.

I agree with all that is said. I actually DO have daily reports and things posted to show what we are learning thru out the day. My dcp's rarely pay attention to any of it. I have monthly newsletter that isn't read by most. I use to have dcp's who looked for those things. I hope to gain new parents who expect it.

I do allow children to "PLAY". For me, every moment is a learning opportunity. I teach thru planned and random activities.

My education and years experience is not to be a "babysitter". (My 50K in student loans remind me every month.) I enjoy teaching children. I do understand that as long as I work from home, I'm considered a "Babysitter". I actually do more teaching from my home daycare then I did working in a center.

Since I've received my degree, I have been told I was over qualified to work in a center and offered less income to work as a center director. So I choose to do it from home.

I'm no longer caring for children under 2 years old so I have to do more to attract those families who value my program as a learning environment. Those who will keep their children with me until they are ready for Kindergarten and not preschool.

Thank you for your responses. Some times I have to be reminded that I'm not alone.
Fiddlesticks 07:20 AM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I think this is the big misconception of play-based learning. While the children are indeed playing all day, the teacher has put a lot of work into the construct of the day. For example: when we are learning about community helpers, the children are read stories about community helpers, and are playing with dress up clothes that relate to the theme. The writing center might have envelopes and "stamps" and then the letters are put into a mail bag and the children then deliver the mail. Boxes are turned into buses and police cars. Forts are turned into hospitals and schools. We talk about the parents' jobs, and how they help the community. We bake cookies for the garbage haulers, and tour the fire station. The children are not just left to go play, but are allowed to play and explore in a carefully planned and constructed environment. The main difference between play based learning and traditional "classroom" learning is that the children are rarely sitting, and there are significantly longer blocks of free play time. But the amount of teaching is equal, or possible more in the play based environment, it takes a lot of work to make learning look like play.

That being said, I have a degree in education and am a licensed pre k-6 teacher, and my daycare children still go to all day preschool at 4 so they "can get the school experience." One parent even told me that her daughter is just so happy and comfortable here that it is like a second home, and she needs her in preschool so she can learn to be with people she doesn't know. Kindergarten used to be half day to get children ready for school. Then kindergarten went to all day, so there was half day preschool to get children ready for kindergarten. Now there is all day pre k for four year olds, so… Eventually parents will just be dropping their children off at school on their way home from the hospital.
Cat Herder 07:22 AM 06-23-2016
I think you may have simply been hit by the pendulum swing.
Controlled Chaos 07:55 AM 06-23-2016
I used to have this problem - the "my child magically taught himself all these nursery rhymes, colors, and how to tie his shoes! He's a genius!!!"

Now I do a monthly newsletter with a what we will be focusing on in language, math, science and self help. I put pics of the "learning" moment on FB, text them to parents and talk about them at pick up. Now parents know I am awesome

I am also a mostly play based program.
JackandJill 08:30 AM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I think this is the big misconception of play-based learning. While the children are indeed playing all day, the teacher has put a lot of work into the construct of the day. For example: when we are learning about community helpers, the children are read stories about community helpers, and are playing with dress up clothes that relate to the theme. The writing center might have envelopes and "stamps" and then the letters are put into a mail bag and the children then deliver the mail. Boxes are turned into buses and police cars. Forts are turned into hospitals and schools. We talk about the parents' jobs, and how they help the community. We bake cookies for the garbage haulers, and tour the fire station. The children are not just left to go play, but are allowed to play and explore in a carefully planned and constructed environment. The main difference between play based learning and traditional "classroom" learning is that the children are rarely sitting, and there are significantly longer blocks of free play time. But the amount of teaching is equal, or possible more in the play based environment, it takes a lot of work to make learning look like play.

That being said, I have a degree in education and am a licensed pre k-6 teacher, and my daycare children still go to all day preschool at 4 so they "can get the school experience." One parent even told me that her daughter is just so happy and comfortable here that it is like a second home, and she needs her in preschool so she can learn to be with people she doesn't know. Kindergarten used to be half day to get children ready for school. Then kindergarten went to all day, so there was half day preschool to get children ready for kindergarten. Now there is all day pre k for four year olds, so… Eventually parents will just be dropping their children off at school on their way home from the hospital.
This is perfectly said, I really couldn't agree more with everything you wrote!!

I think so many people think we just do our laundry while the kids have a free for all When in reality, we have spent time and energy to make learning situations out of every game and book we read! I agree that kids should be allowed to play all day long, but that doesn't mean I am not showing and teaching as we go!
Leigh 08:38 AM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Shawn:
Hey everyone.

Maybe it's just a problem for me.

I love teaching young children. I was a preschool teacher before starting my own daycare.

I spend a lot of time teaching children. Not just numbers, colors, and so on. But I really work hard to make sure my little "co-workers", will have the grounding they need to do well once they begin school. I'm sure 98% of us here can give this same testimony.

So it kind of upsets me once some parents actually realize how much their children know. It's usually after I have pointed things out to them. They will ask me if I believe their child is "really smart". I'm afraid to agree.

It's as if some parents believe the child sooo smart and developed such advanced intelligence all on their own. The next step is to pull them out of daycare to place them in an actually preschool center. I am told, " She is so smart. We want to put her in a preschool so she can learn more".

It just bothers me. It feels like you do so much and just aren't given any credit. I guess my 20 years of working in early childhood and not to mention a B.A. in Early Childhood Education Administration has nothing to do with the level of knowledge my dck's have after spending 50 hours a week for 3 years with me.

Oh. well. I can only do what I can. I do feel well knowing that my babies are pretty smart cookies.
I had a mom tell me several weeks ago that her son (4) taught himself addition. NOPE, he learned that here. I don't do preschool, NOTHING formal at my home, but we learn while we play here, and when there's an interest in something, we explore it. She thinks he needs PreK. He's getting what he needs here, but she doesn't see that. How does she really believe that the kid taught himself his alphabet, addition, colors, etc. over the last 3 years?
Tags:credentials, master teacher permit, parents - don't appreciate, play based vs planned curriculum, teacher viewpoint
Reply Up