Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Common Core
Thegrayghost1966 12:01 PM 02-19-2014
I know this is a daycare forum but. I follow a Facebook page that is against Common Core. I am sure you have heard, depending on where you live, things such as kids having to pass a reading test in 3rd grade or be held back. Parents have no say, no pass, no 4th grade. Each 3rd grade teacher, in my state, must make a portfolio on each 3rd grader. If a child doesn't pass the test it is possible that with that portfolio they could appeal and if the child meets certain requirements could go on to 4th grade. There is lots of talk about parents opting their children out of testing. Anyway, there was something posted on this Facebook page from Child Care Aware. Could this trickle down to daycare providers?

Before I chose to stay home and get my daycare license I worked in a public school. Last year I saw Kindergarteners being made to do things most weren't developmentally ready to do. Frustrated teachers, frustrated children and little learning from it.

Please, if you aren't up on Common Core, read all about it. For the record, my state has chosen to not call it Common Core but when it is all said and done, it is the exact same as Common Core. Oh and here is the link to the Child Care Aware.

http://usa.childcareaware.org/sites/...f_032113_0.pdf
Annalee 12:12 PM 02-19-2014
Originally Posted by Thegrayghost1966:
I know this is a daycare forum but. I follow a Facebook page that is against Common Core. I am sure you have heard, depending on where you live, things such as kids having to pass a reading test in 3rd grade or be held back. Parents have no say, no pass, no 4th grade. Each 3rd grade teacher, in my state, must make a portfolio on each 3rd grader. If a child doesn't pass the test it is possible that with that portfolio they could appeal and if the child meets certain requirements could go on to 4th grade. There is lots of talk about parents opting their children out of testing. Anyway, there was something posted on this Facebook page from Child Care Aware. Could this trickle down to daycare providers?

Before I chose to stay home and get my daycare license I worked in a public school. Last year I saw Kindergarteners being made to do things most weren't developmentally ready to do. Frustrated teachers, frustrated children and little learning from it.

Please, if you aren't up on Common Core, read all about it. For the record, my state has chosen to not call it Common Core but when it is all said and done, it is the exact same as Common Core. Oh and here is the link to the Child Care Aware.

http://usa.childcareaware.org/sites/...f_032113_0.pdf
Sadly, I think it already has trickled down to daycare. I do not like common core, either. I haven't heard about the portfolio for third graders in my state, but I have a 4th and 6th grader of my own and both are constantly telling me if they are not proficient on three of the four subjects on TCAP (which is a week long testing venture that happens every April) they will not move to the next grade. Even though I feel my children will pass the TCAP, that is too much stress to place on students. I feel testing is NOT an accurate way to test all students knowledge, but common core is built around out of the box thinking/testing.
Thegrayghost1966 12:17 PM 02-19-2014
Sadly, it isn't a way to test all students. I have a 7th and 9th grader and they both struggle with test taking and always have. Kids can't be kids anymore but must endure the stress of adults.
Jack Sprat 12:35 PM 02-19-2014
I like CC in that it does encourage deeper thinking, understanding that numbers are more then just numbers that they actually represent something, and a broader vocabulary.

However!!!! It is not for every child. It's no better then NCLB. Once again I feel people are trying to put a child in a square when they may fit better in a circle or sphere haha! Our district is spending an insane amount of money and time preparing for CC. I haven't heard about the portfolio for 3rd grade in our state. I will ask dcm who is 3rd grade teacher.
Annalee 12:46 PM 02-19-2014
I am all for learning and going deeper with thinking but when a 4th grade teacher tells me if a student can prove 2 + 2 is 5, then the answer will be 5, I am thinking WHAT?????
Jack Sprat 12:55 PM 02-19-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I am all for learning and going deeper with thinking but when a 4th grade teacher tells me if a student can prove 2 + 2 is 5, then the answer will be 5, I am thinking WHAT?????
I do agree! For us as adults its hard to think that way. I think its going to create a lot of struggles at home as well. How can parents help kids with homework (which is increasing due to CC) if they weren't taught that way.

Here is a math problem from a 1st grader doing CC.

Nicky counted 8 blue birds. She counted 7 yellow birds. Which addition sentence shows how many birds Nicky counted in all?
a) 10+8=18
b) 10+7=17
c) 10+6=16
d) 10+5=15

It wants the child to understand that 15 can be reached by different methods. Now this for the average student may be okay. But, a child with learning issues this is going to send them for a loop at least it did with the kids I worked with.

I understand what you are saying! Please remember its legislation that need to hear the concerns, as well as teachers. Honestly, though the teachers are probably doing/teaching the way they have been told teach. The CC way.
Reply Up