Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Got a response to my child care ad, but this is weird...
MaritimeMummy 02:46 AM 08-03-2012
So I checked my email this morning and noticed a perfectly lovely response to my child care ad.

"Hello! I have a 2.5 year old, and am currently looking for part time/occasional childcare.. I am looking to get a part time job myself, and your daycare sounds like it could be a perfect fit for us.
What is your daily rate? Do you still have the spot open?

Thank you,

(*Potential Client*)"

I had a beautiful response written out when something hit me...I recognize this name for some reason. So I checked out a local childcare group on Facebook that I am part of that I had never advertised in, ad lo, there she is, she has the most recent post to the wall:

"I'm _______, 20 years old - looking to provide occasional/part-time/or full time childcare in my home in _________ area *(exactly the same as my location, FYI...likely just down the road from me)* for children (infants) up to the age of 3.

We have a toy room, which overflows into our living room. We enjoy arts and crafts, as well as outdoor walks and play! (weather permitted)

I have a two year old son myself, and I've also had experience babysitting other children. I am available to babysit overnight, during the day, evening, whatever you may need!

For more details or to ask questions, feel free to email me

*I can provide Child Abuse Registry and Criminal Background checks.

*References available upon request!"

What on earth should I make of this?! She sent me the email 8 hours ago, posted that to the wall 7 hours ago. Should I ignore this or email her back and ask what her intentions are? Part of me is thinking she wants to snoop out my day care...! What do you think?!
joysjustlikehome 03:19 AM 08-03-2012
I think I'd come right out and ask her if she changed her mind about opening her own child care. ~Joy
MaritimeMummy 03:32 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by joysjustlikehome:
I think I'd come right out and ask her if she changed her mind about opening her own child care. ~Joy
I just looked...she posted the exact same ad on Kijiji. Would you be honored or a little freaked out if you knew that someone was trying to pose as someone needing care to check our how you run your day care? I'm wondering, if I play dumb, if she'd let it go so far as to meeting with me? LOL
Kaddidle Care 03:38 AM 08-03-2012
I think she's fishing for rates.
MaritimeMummy 03:47 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I wish people would just be honest! If she wants to start a home day care I have no problem helping her get started with questions, but this posing as a potential parent irks me!
DBug 04:18 AM 08-03-2012
"Hi ---,

It's so good to hear from you! It's me, KHiltz! I live down the road from you. I heard through the grapevine that you were planning on doing daycare yourself? What made you change your mind? I'd love to meet with you! We could compare notes. What were you going to charge for your daily rate? Would you be willing to show me your contract & policies? I've been wanting to do a little market research, and I've been meaning to contact you to talk shop.

We should get a cup of coffee sometime! When's good for you?"

That would be my response. A little passive-agressive, yes, but it would force her to be honest with you .
MaritimeMummy 04:27 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:
"Hi ---,

It's so good to hear from you! It's me, KHiltz! I live down the road from you. I heard through the grapevine that you were planning on doing daycare yourself? What made you change your mind? I'd love to meet with you! We could compare notes. What were you going to charge for your daily rate? Would you be willing to show me your contract & policies? I've been wanting to do a little market research, and I've been meaning to contact you to talk shop.

We should get a cup of coffee sometime! When's good for you?"

That would be my response. A little passive-agressive, yes, but it would force her to be honest with you .
Ha! That sounds...so cool! I just spoke with a friend of mine who is also in that same FB group and when I mentioned this to her she said, "I should go undercover and do the same thing TO HER, ask her her rates, etc". LOL. I don't like to snoop and I don't like when others snoop, it looks *really* bad, like you should be ashamed of your daycare or something!

I like the idea of being forward but in a friendly way. :-)
EchoMom 04:38 AM 08-03-2012
I guess I just assume that some of the inquiries I've gotten are from other providers trying to get info from me. And I'll be honest, I've done it too. Sometimes I've been an imposter, and more recently I realized, wait, why do that, why not just say I'm a provider as I really am and say I want to network and just ask outright politely. I've gotten really nice responses from some people, and no response at all.

I think it's really hard in this job because we have NO colleagues and NO one to bounce ideas off of, unless you're on this forum. :P But there's nothing to compare to in your area and so, at least for me, I don't want to be dishonest, but as someone just starting out, you want to learn about other businesses in the area, not to "steal" from them but to genuinely learn. At least in my area, it can't possibly be stealing because demand is overwhelming and there are plenty of kids to fill up everyone's spots!
Crazy8 05:17 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I agree with Kaddidle! Definitely fishing for rates. I would call her out on it - respond that you know she's a provider in the area and if she wanted to compare rates and share notes she can just call you honestly. Surprised she even used her real name in her email to you!
Countrygal 12:06 PM 08-03-2012
Yep, I think I'd be honest but nice. Even offering to discuss any questions she might have if you feel led to.

I've gotten a call or two that I've suspected were just "rate seekers" - people who have their own dc and checking out everyone else's rates. That's why I don't put my rates on my webpage or give them out over the phone unless I've talked to the person quite extensively. Come see what I have to offer, then we'll discuss rates.
MyAngels 04:02 PM 08-03-2012
I think there are a lot of providers out there who will pose as clients to fish for rates in their area because it's actually illegal to come out and ask - one provider to another - about rates.
MaritimeMummy 09:01 PM 08-03-2012
We've had a few emails.

I had responded:

"Hi _____,

You are looking for child care? I noticed you just posted an ad on the Babysitter's group on Facebook (which I am also a member of) that you are looking to do in-home child care, and noticed the same ad you've just posted on Kijiji. So forgive me, I'm confused.

I do have a casual/part-time space available if you are indeed looking for child care.

Thanks,

KHiltz"

She then responded:

"Hey KHiltz,
Ideally I would like to take in a child or two so I can stay home with my son while making a bit of money, because childcare of course is expensive when I will only be making minimum wage. Ideally this is what I would like, however I am also keeping my options open and trying to find childcare so that I can also begin applying for work."

So then *I* responded just now:

"Hi Rachel,

Have you been doing home day care for long? If not, would you like me to help you get started? If you have any questions on starting up, feel free to ask, I don't mind comparing notes.

My space is going to be first come, first served obviously, so if finding child care for your son is a high priority for you now then certainly, we can discuss the possibility of having your son come here. However, I do have people interested in the space to start immediately so I would need to know your intentions. To be fair, when you responded to my ad asking about my child care services at the same moment that you advertized your own child care services, it was extremely confusing.

You asked earlier what I charge. My rate is $30 a day based on a 9 hour day, $10 an hour for anything over and above 9 hours.
(I just decided that I am going to start doing this so this is the first time I actually stated this to anyone, LOL)

I hope that helps, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask. :-)

KHiltz"

I just didn't know what else to say. "yeah, so you maybe want child care but you maybe want to do childcare yourself?" I mean, gotta make a commitment one way or another, lady!
EchoMom 05:39 AM 08-04-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I think there are a lot of providers out there who will pose as clients to fish for rates in their area because it's actually illegal to come out and ask - one provider to another - about rates.
Why is it illegal to ask?
MyAngels 08:02 AM 08-04-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
Why is it illegal to ask?
It's against federal antitrust laws. There's a good explanation of what we can and can't do on Tom Copeland's blog here: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...are-rates.html
MaritimeMummy 06:08 AM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
It's against federal antitrust laws. There's a good explanation of what we can and can't do on Tom Copeland's blog here: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...are-rates.html
This sounds more the rule in the US, not Canada, where the home day care laws are pretty different. :-)
MyAngels 08:46 AM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
This sounds more the rule in the US, not Canada, where the home day care laws are pretty different. :-)
Good point - I never checked your location when I posted that .
winecountrydaycaregal 11:19 AM 08-06-2012
Oh my goodness. It for sure sounds like she is snooping. She wants to know your prices and set up. Weird. Personally, i would call her on it!
winecountrydaycaregal 11:22 AM 08-06-2012
Ooh, that's good. Maybe passive aggressive but it also says you are not going to put up with anything but you are going to be "nice" about it.
Unregistered 09:24 PM 08-06-2012
I shall google everyone first before giving them my time of day. I shall ask questions first to varify their intentions. Some people can be so low. Karma will bite them they waste someone esles time they about to know the feeling. This crap just happened to me today!!! So annoying!!!
Reply Up