Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy On If A Client Is Offered A Spot And Declines??
trix23 02:09 PM 05-07-2017
Had 3 tours over the weekend, total of 4 prospective clients to enroll for this upcoming week. One told me today that they don't think it's a good fit. Another one after I told her she was accepted told me that they found a nanny instead, not even a day after the tour (after a quick inquiry-tour turnaround) of her telling me that they needed someone last minute.

I told one of the family that was interested that I don't have availability for them and now I look stupid because this one lady didn't enroll. Do any of you have policies on someone is offered a spot and they decline? are they not allowed to inquire again or...?
Unregistered 03:57 PM 05-07-2017
I think Black Cat might have insight!
childcaremom 04:12 PM 05-07-2017
It depends. I would look at the reasons why I didn't offer them a space. If it was hours, age, full vs part time, perm vs temp, etc.... those can change over time.

If I didn't feel like it was a good fit due to different views on parenting, policies, etc, then my answer would probably not change.

Keep interviewing! The right fit is out there. If nothing else, it's good practice to hone your techniques at asking the right questions of your potential clients and presenting your policies.
childcaremom 04:13 PM 05-07-2017
Also, being that you have a few spots, you could always 'try out' a client, too. If you are on the fence about a potential client, you could do a trial period with them to see if it is a good fit, prior to offering them a permanent contract.

I do not have a trial vs permanent contract but there are some providers on here who do (BlackCat is one I think) and may be able to offer you some insight.
LysesKids 05:36 PM 05-07-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Had 3 tours over the weekend, total of 4 prospective clients to enroll for this upcoming week. One told me today that they don't think it's a good fit. Another one after I told her she was accepted told me that they found a nanny instead, not even a day after the tour (after a quick inquiry-tour turnaround) of her telling me that they needed someone last minute.

I told one of the family that was interested that I don't have availability for them and now I look stupid because this one lady didn't enroll. Do any of you have policies on someone is offered a spot and they decline? are they not allowed to inquire again or...?
I learned the hard way not to say "sorry you aren't getting the spot" to a family that interviewed until I have a firm offer from the family I was offering the spot too (signed contract & $$ for first month in hand)... came back to bite me in the A** one too many times. Now I give potentials a max 24 hrs to sign & pay before I pull the offer, so I can offer it to the next in line.
trix23 05:53 PM 05-07-2017
I meant that a family I offered the spot to declined.

They inquired, toured, and wanted to enroll within 36 hours. Then said "no".
LysesKids 04:22 AM 05-08-2017
I meant that a family I offered the spot to declined.

They inquired, toured, and wanted to enroll within 36 hours. Then said "no".
that's why I have the 24 hr rule Trix... if they don't pay within that time frame I move on, I don't hold spaces for a yes I want it - it's not given to a client until they pay for a spot that way I don't tell another family it's already gone unless it actually is.

5 years ago I had 8 families wanting my one open spot just before Christmas... it literally came down to one mom getting to my house 5 minutes before another with payment; never seen a mom break down and cry over 5 minutes before, but everyone knows I don't hold spaces without payment. When I have 2 or 3 clients that are a good fit, it's first pay, first contracted
daycarediva 05:31 AM 05-08-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I learned the hard way not to say "sorry you aren't getting the spot" to a family that interviewed until I have a firm offer from the family I was offering the spot too (signed contract & $$ for first month in hand)... came back to bite me in the A** one too many times. Now I give potentials a max 24 hrs to sign & pay before I pull the offer, so I can offer it to the next in line.
this.

I have an intent to enroll form, I hand it to them, and they pay the deposit right then. Saying 'yes we want the space' and PAYING for it are two entirely different things.
finsup 06:44 AM 05-08-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
this.

I have an intent to enroll form, I hand it to them, and they pay the deposit right then. Saying 'yes we want the space' and PAYING for it are two entirely different things.
Yup! I learned the hard way too. You could always try contacting the family you declined and say that due to a change in plans, you now have a space if they are still interested. Chances are the answer will be no, but if they like your program enough and wanted to be on the wait list, you may be able to still take them!
CityGarden 10:15 AM 05-08-2017
I would not accept them later.... if they decide to reapply.

I also do not consider a position filled until the contract & payment are submitted.
trix23 11:14 AM 05-08-2017
All very good ideas. So how do you implement it? Like they need to write checks at the tour? And would you deposit the $ now or after it's confirmed that they enroll?
trix23 11:24 AM 05-08-2017
Lyseskids, do you offer a spot only to parents you want to work with and then of them, whoever comes first gets it?
LysesKids 11:55 AM 05-08-2017
Lyseskids, do you offer a spot only to parents you want to work with and then of them, whoever comes first gets it?
I take ones that fit with the families in care & have a similar mindset... and yes if I offer the spot at the meet & greet. By that time I have already chatted on the phone for at least an hr finding out needs etc. so there isn't a whole lot of discussions lol

Step #1: Read my entire website and send me your contact info if you agree with my policies & fees; I will then call you and set up a meet & greet.

This "face to face" is the 2nd interview (phone call being #1) and will be set on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursdays only at 6pm or later. The purpose is so you can get a chance to see my home and address any questions that you may have. I do ask that you call 3 hours before a scheduled appointment to get the exact address. If I don't receive a call at least 2 hrs prior, I will assume you have cancelled the meet & greet

Step #2 Paperwork. You will receive all the registration paperwork once I have a signed contract or Intent form. To much paperwork was going out the door never to return home, so I don't give it out unless I know for sure a family is on board

Step #3 Payment. Your child's space will not be guaranteed until a signed contract is in my hand along with the non refundable first months fee. Spots will be considered open & available and I will continue to interview families until requirements are met.

Simple, and saves me headaches having to go over every little thing at the meeting. I never give out the address until I get that call... I also don't print out paperwork until the call either; ink is too expensive lol
LysesKids 11:57 AM 05-08-2017
All very good ideas. So how do you implement it? Like they need to write checks at the tour? And would you deposit the $ now or after it's confirmed that they enroll?
Nope, no checks... cash or credit only & the $$ stays in an envelope in a lockbox until start date on contract; deposit goes towards first month of care but is non refundable if they decide not to attend after signing
AmyKidsCo 01:20 PM 05-08-2017
If you want to enroll the family that was interested I'd contact them and tell them an opening unexpectedly became available. You don't have to say why.

My policies only cover if a family enrolls and changes their minds. The enrollment fee and first tuition payments are non-refundable so they wouldn't get any of it back. I don't have policies about if families who say they'll enroll then change their mind before doing the paperwork and paying the fees.

I definitely wouldn't give a second chance to a family who said they wanted to enroll then didn't.
trix23 03:21 PM 05-09-2017
I told her something like "thank you for your interest. we also offer a $x referral bonus to you and to a client you refer after they enroll for 8 consecutive weeks".

i was feeling like this all day that day, though:
LysesKids 08:43 PM 05-09-2017
I told her something like "thank you for your interest. we also offer a $x referral bonus to you and to a client you refer after they enroll for 8 consecutive weeks".

i was feeling like this all day that day, though:
Yeah, I wouldn't sign that family because they aren't respecting you & you essentially are begging them to sign now (I have been desperate, but I learned that begging families to sign is not good in any way)... keep interviewing & get $$ upfront before telling another family NO
hwichlaz 07:12 AM 05-10-2017
I think I have a different view. I don't expect people to jump on board in 24 hours. I WANT them to have time to tour other daycares and choose the one that will be the best fit for their child. I just tell them that I CURRENTLY have these openings, and I can't gaurantee that I will still have them when they are ready to sign. Clients that won't be a good fit, are told that I don't think this is the place to meet their needs. Then the clients that ARE a good fit get the spot on first come first serve with paperwork and money.
trix23 08:35 PM 05-11-2017
LysesKids, I offer referral bonuses even if the one who referred didn't enroll here as incentive to let others know about my program.

Even when desperate, I don't get. I just waive a fee
Tags:holding spot policy
Reply Up