Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hiring an Assistant...
NoMoreJuice! 03:40 PM 05-07-2014
Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, the hubs was going to be my second provider at my daycare. After three weeks of this, he has decided it is not his cup of tea (can you blame him? Sometimes this job stinks). I think it's just being confined to the house or the nearby park, or the monotony of the routine.

Anyway. I have already enrolled extra kids, so when he goes back to work, I will be left with too many kids for my capacity table. I have decided to hire an assistant.

My questions for those experienced with hiring, training, and maintaining an employee:

1. How do you interview? The first interview I conducted I felt I treated as a daycare parent interview, where I showed them all around and told them about the program. I thought I would just get a good vibe from a nice person that I thought I could work with, but I want to get more detailed.

2. What are some very specific questions you feel it is important to ask a potential hire?

3. How strict are you with tardiness, etc? Do you have an employee handbook that you follow? Is it difficult to be a "boss" and how do you maintain your employer-employee relationship?

4. Is $8.50 reasonable to pay them, followed by a 6 month $.50 raise?

5. Any other super important things or sage advice/wisdom you can share with me?

Thank you all!!
Tags:assistant
Up