Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Front Door Etiquette
Unregistered 12:16 PM 12-05-2019
I'm really getting annoyed in the mornings with the first arrival of the day pounding on my front door and front window. Knock nicely once or twice I'll get to the door as quickly as I can. I may be putting the dogs away or heaven forbid I'm in the bathroom. Pounding won't get me to the door any quicker. Do I send out a letter or post a note on the door you break it you buy it? The door is mainly glass with wood frame and very old our whole house is old. I'm worried one of these days the glass with shatter because of the rude pounding.

Same rude parent waits in front of the house with their loud truck running for 15-10 minutes before opening time. I also find that rude.

Ways to nicely address the pounding on the door issue? Anyone have similar issue?
Cat Herder 12:26 PM 12-05-2019
Face to face. "Knock it off or find somewhere else to go."
AmyKidsCo 12:49 PM 12-05-2019
Can you get one of those Open/Closed signs for the door? Post the Closed side until opening time. Maybe something that obvious will help...
Rockgirl 07:06 PM 12-05-2019
I tell new parents when they enroll that I open the front door and turn on the porch light at 7:30–that’s the signal that I’m open.
LostMyMarbles 04:43 AM 12-06-2019
I had to same situation. A dad would come 10 minutes before I opened. Also had a very noisy van. I informed him the first time that I did not open until 7 o’clock. The next day he showed up in my driveway at 10 to 7, and proceeded to let his noisy vehicle run for 10 minutes. I had to inform him that he couldn’t even be on the premises until 7 o’clock. That put an end to it.

Kindly inform that parent that they cannot be on the premises Until You are opening time.
Ariana 05:20 AM 12-06-2019
Face to face “please stop knocking so loudly in my old door” and explain to him what you explained to us...you are coming as fast as you can, relax!! I would then post a big sign on the door. Terminate if he violates it.

People like this dint read news letters!
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 12-06-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm really getting annoyed in the mornings with the first arrival of the day pounding on my front door and front window. Knock nicely once or twice I'll get to the door as quickly as I can. I may be putting the dogs away or heaven forbid I'm in the bathroom. Pounding won't get me to the door any quicker. Do I send out a letter or post a note on the door you break it you buy it? The door is mainly glass with wood frame and very old our whole house is old. I'm worried one of these days the glass with shatter because of the rude pounding.

Same rude parent waits in front of the house with their loud truck running for 15-10 minutes before opening time. I also find that rude.

Ways to nicely address the pounding on the door issue? Anyone have similar issue?
I don't understand the need to "nicely" address a rude parent.

Clearly they have zero respect for you or your family so I'm with Cat Herder on this one.

Tell them firmly and clearly:

"Knock it off or find somewhere else to go."

Nice would be the last thing on my mind.
maelb05 06:54 AM 12-06-2019
My issue is parents who let their children continuously pound on my door until I get to the door. Then when I open the door, the child says "what took you so long?" The parent smiles and says something like "they love knocking on doors" or "they were so excited to get here". Okay, but how about teaching them manners and how to speak politely?
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 12-06-2019
Originally Posted by maelb05:
My issue is parents who let their children continuously pound on my door until I get to the door. Then when I open the door, the child says "what took you so long?" The parent smiles and says something like "they love knocking on doors" or "they were so excited to get here". Okay, but how about teaching them manners and how to speak politely?
~Opening door: "Oh my goodness DCM, why would YOU allow Johnny to pound on my door like that?"

DCM: "Oh he just loves knocking on doors"

You: "I'm sure he does but it would be alot more tolerable and acceptable if you taught him to knock lightly and wait verses allowing him to pound so rudely."

DON'T ever feel like you are being rude when addressing a rude behavior.

Calling parents out for things like that is important in my opinion as it helps them understand how their actions or lack of actions while parenting affect others. It's an important lesson all parents should know.
Cat Herder 07:20 AM 12-06-2019
We teach people how to treat us.
Unregistered 10:50 AM 12-09-2019
I would tell this person that I open at XXX time and to NOT come knocking on my door before then. I would also tell them that one normal knock is enough and if I don't come in a couple of minutes to knock lightly again. That pounding on my doors and window will not be tolerated and will lead to termination. I would also tell them not to show up at my property until opening time and that leaving their vehicle running is not allowed!
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, rude behavior
Reply Up