Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Needed Please...
VAmomof4 07:05 PM 04-01-2020
Advice needed! I know this subject is worn out but I have a DCM that is a schoolteacher and in our state school has been canceled for the rest of the year. My daycare is still open to the parents if they want to bring the kids they have all expressed that they want to keep them home. This one DCM doesn’t want to have to pay full price for service that she’s not using. I have explained that in the contract that if I’m open she needs to pay regardless of her attendance. I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot because I know I can’t find another replacement right now. Would you meet her halfway just to have at least half the payment coming in or would you drop her completely?
Michael 08:23 PM 04-01-2020
I think you've already answered your own question. You need to keep her at this time. Work out a short solution that is particular to your contract revised to handle a pandemic.
Unregistered 09:14 PM 04-01-2020
If you discount for one parent (one who is still being paid), will you then need to offer the same discount to all of your other clients? Is it less of a hit to possibly have one leave, rather than give 50% off to all parents?
Cat Herder 03:59 AM 04-02-2020
"they want to keep them home" - "doesn’t want to have to pay full price for service that she’s not using"

Is your school canceled for the rest of the year? Most are, now. Is she really going to come back full-time for the summer if it is? Have you told your CCR&R that you are open and welcome having an essential worker sent your way?

Personally, I would term her. I'd resent her and want to teach her that she is in no way special or even likable at this point.

She has the choice to attend. She is simply being selfish and entitled. There is no way I'd welcome her back into my home. None.

"I don't want to." - That would be the only answer I'd have for her.

Sorry if that is not helpful. One slot would not be worth the resentment I'd feel every time I heard her voice or saw her face.
VAmomof4 07:02 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"they want to keep them home" - "doesn’t want to have to pay full price for service that she’s not using"

Is your school canceled for the rest of the year? Most are, now. Is she really going to come back full-time for the summer if it is? Have you told your CCR&R that you are open and welcome having an essential worker sent your way?

Personally, I would term her. I'd resent her and want to teach her that she is in no way special or even likable at this point.

She has the choice to attend. She is simply being selfish and entitled. There is no way I'd welcome her back into my home. None.

"I don't want to." - That would be the only answer I'd have for her.

Sorry if that is not helpful. One slot would not be worth the resentment I'd feel every time I heard her voice or saw her face.
We are closed for the remainder of the year. I know I will feel resentment towards her if I give her the discount but I’ve also been in her shoes where I’ve had to pay for something that I’m not getting so I understand where she’s coming from. My contract does state “childcare fees will not be adjusted for late arrival, early pick ups, or missed days.” I do believe that covers me for continuing to be open and her choosing not to bring her kids. She is my most “difficult”parent. I’m just about at my breaking point to say ok just so I don’t have to deal with her until August when school resumes 😜
VAmomof4 07:06 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If you discount for one parent (one who is still being paid), will you then need to offer the same discount to all of your other clients? Is it less of a hit to possibly have one leave, rather than give 50% off to all parents?
I would not offer it to the other parents. I was thinking of drawing up a new contract for the remainder of her time.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by VAmomof4:
We are closed for the remainder of the year. I know I will feel resentment towards her if I give her the discount but I’ve also been in her shoes where I’ve had to pay for something that I’m not getting so I understand where she’s coming from. My contract does state “childcare fees will not be adjusted for late arrival, early pick ups, or missed days.” I do believe that covers me for continuing to be open and her choosing not to bring her kids. She is my most “difficult”parent. I’m just about at my breaking point to say ok just so I don’t have to deal with her until August when school resumes 😜
Feeling bad and doing business are two different things.

If your contract says they must pay and she doesn't want to pay then consider her withdrawn from care.

Its no different than deciding to no longer pay a gym membership. Once payment stops, so does the membership so...

I understand the difficulty too but it still doesn't change that your contract says differently.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 04-02-2020
Plus, if you bend now she will always expect it as I see everything that comes up in the future being considered a "special circumstance" for some
AmyKidsCo 01:36 PM 04-03-2020
I've given this a lot of thought and my decision is that as long as I'm open and the parents are working FT they need to pay me 100%. If *I* get sick and have to close I won't charge (it's in my parent handbook) but if I have to close for any other reason and the parents are still working I'll charge something, maybe 50%. If a parent asks for a discount because they lost their job or their hours are cut I'll work with them.

If I were in your situation, assuming both parents are working FT, I'd let the parent know she was welcome to give her 2 week notice but there's no guarantee she'll have a spot when this is over. (I wouldn't take her back, even if I did have an opening.) BUT I'm also full, so losing 1 child wouldn't be a hardship. If you need some income you could offer a 50% discount.
coloradoprovider 02:45 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Feeling bad and doing business are two different things.

If your contract says they must pay and she doesn't want to pay then consider her withdrawn from care.

Its no different than deciding to no longer pay a gym membership. Once payment stops, so does the membership so...

I understand the difficulty too but it still doesn't change that your contract says differently.
Agreed! Let her know when she can pick up her child's things.
Tags:burn out, enforcing policies - consistency, entitlement, full time to part time, parent - changes contract, resentment, tuition not based on attendance
Reply Up