Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Say...What To Say :(
small_steps 04:04 PM 04-04-2013
I'm in a position where I can't afford to lose any kids right now. However, I also don't want to be walked on. I've got one set of parents that, as a courtesy, I open for at 5:30 a.m. In return they pick up early. I don't open until 7a.m. to everyone else. She will show up at 6 or 6:15 sometimes. I only have them 2-3 days a week so I really don't mind getting up and taking them early but when she shows up 30 or more
Minutes late it really ticks me off. I love my sleep! To think I could've gotten 30 minutes more of
It irritates me to no end.

Also, have another parent constantly just 1-2 sometimes 5 minutes late. I know sometimes it's just a couple minutes but at 5:30 I'm ready to close up shop and every minute after seems to drag on!
Like I said, I can't afford to lose anyone right now but I do want to address it. My backbone seems to have abandoned me. What would you say to them to let them know it isn't ok? And do you have any pre-thought out responses for when a parent texts you last minute and say "we will be a little late today". Just want to be prepared next time. I'm so sick of this.
daycarediva 04:18 PM 04-04-2013
I would send home a notice/reminder stating that if they are going to be more then 15 minutes late dropping off, you require a text/phone call or whatever and that from now on, you will be enforcing late fees. I don't think it would hurt to just pull Mom aside and say "Hey, I don't mind getting up so early to open for you, but if you are going to be late can you please let me know the night before?"

When someone texts me that they are going to be a few minutes late they get a "Your contracted pickup time is 5:30 (or whatever it is), the late fees are as follows..."
rmc20021 04:27 PM 04-04-2013
I have been having a horribly rough, stressful past two weeks. I was also in a position I could not afford to lose ANYBODY. BUT...I finally decided to take the chance and bear down hard on all these parents who seem to think it's ok to do the off the wall things...not show up, no call or anything...not pay on time...late pick ups...not give me schedules in advance so I was cluelss when the kids would arrive, or get picked up.

I took the chance and it seems as though it's paying off. ALL my parents seem to be getting it now and I expect things will start going more smoothly. Sometimes you just gotta take a chance and hope it doesn't backfire. Expect to get some flack when you suddenly put your foot down, but if you stand by what you say they will either come around or you'll figure out you're better off without them...even if it means losing some money.
AmyKidsCo 08:29 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
I have been having a horribly rough, stressful past two weeks. I was also in a position I could not afford to lose ANYBODY. BUT...I finally decided to take the chance and bear down hard on all these parents who seem to think it's ok to do the off the wall things...not show up, no call or anything...not pay on time...late pick ups...not give me schedules in advance so I was cluelss when the kids would arrive, or get picked up.

I took the chance and it seems as though it's paying off. ALL my parents seem to be getting it now and I expect things will start going more smoothly. Sometimes you just gotta take a chance and hope it doesn't backfire. Expect to get some flack when you suddenly put your foot down, but if you stand by what you say they will either come around or you'll figure out you're better off without them...even if it means losing some money.

I had to write a letter a couple of months ago because I was having similar problems. I was really nervous but all of the families responded positively. One family that had a habit of last-minute early drop off or late pick-up asked "What do you need from us?" I think most parents are happy to work with us as long as we approach them the right way.
Laurel 03:43 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by small_steps:
I'm in a position where I can't afford to lose any kids right now. However, I also don't want to be walked on. I've got one set of parents that, as a courtesy, I open for at 5:30 a.m. In return they pick up early. I don't open until 7a.m. to everyone else. She will show up at 6 or 6:15 sometimes. I only have them 2-3 days a week so I really don't mind getting up and taking them early but when she shows up 30 or more
Minutes late it really ticks me off. I love my sleep! To think I could've gotten 30 minutes more of
It irritates me to no end.

Also, have another parent constantly just 1-2 sometimes 5 minutes late. I know sometimes it's just a couple minutes but at 5:30 I'm ready to close up shop and every minute after seems to drag on!
Like I said, I can't afford to lose anyone right now but I do want to address it. My backbone seems to have abandoned me. What would you say to them to let them know it isn't ok? And do you have any pre-thought out responses for when a parent texts you last minute and say "we will be a little late today". Just want to be prepared next time. I'm so sick of this.
When they arrive at 6:00 say "Oh I noticed that sometimes you are coming at 6 or 6:15. If you don't need me to open at 5:30 anymore I could use the extra sleep so if I don't hear from you by 9 p.m. the night before I'll assume you aren't coming until 6 and won't be available till then." Big smile.... (you might not want to use such a run on sentence though )

I totally understand the feeling of them not arriving at 5:30 on the dot because I used to feel the same way. I decided to let it go but for no longer than 5 minutes because anybody can get stuck in traffic or have something come up and be a few minutes late. I decided to stop stressing about just a few minutes. I would address anything over 5 minutes though which I did before.

I was open until 5:30 but one parent needed me till 6:00 so I charged them an extra $10 a week (not much) to stay open for them. I guess all the other parents just thought I was open till 6 so they would be coming 5-15 minutes late as well. I sent home a note explaining that I close at 5:30 but was willing to work until 6 for the extra fee. Magically, everybody came on time from then on. One even apologized. She honestly thought I was just open till 6 cause she saw the 6 boy still there when she came 10 minutes late.

I know other providers who also charge an extra fee for opening or closing late for families. I just had an issue with this myself because I do have a family who is paying me an extra $10 for that last half hour but has been leaving it off the check for the last 3 weeks. I used my backbone the other day and dad is bringing the $30 today. They had been giving it to me but then just stopped. Sheesh.

Laurel
Reply Up