Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD new baby into EVERYTHING
Emsdayhome 08:01 AM 09-06-2013
Ok so my new dck is adorable. He's wonderful and sweet and compliant , patient, etc. He's another dream baby (I'm spoiled....I know it) BUT....he is into everything. and I mean...EVERYTHING. If I turn my back, he's licking the electrical socket (....yeah.....licking it) and trying to stick his arm into my central vac outlet. Thankfully I limit our play to the playroom, which has now become the daycare (big open loft space on the second split floor of my house) otherwise...I'd be going crazy trying to get him out from wherever he gets wedged. He got stuck under a coffee table yesterday while I was putting everyone's shoes on at the front door (he's 10months and crawling) . I have my caregiver corner set up here in the daycare room, and have a small table where I keep my laptop (mini one), reference books, reports, etc. He somehow fished the computer cord out (I THOUGHT I had it tucked way out of the way ) and stuck it in his mouth and started sucking on it. His poor mother...haha I can only imagine what he gets into at home.

So- what should I be doing to get him to stop this behaviour now, rather than drag it out? Right now I just say " No, danger!" and "we don't touch that" and remove him and put him back over where he should be sitting, and he doesn't like it one bit. Doesn't last long, but I wonder how often he's told no at home lol....

So, advice? tips? other than buying MORE childproofing kits.... (I never needed so much as a baby gate for my 4 children...ever!)
butterfly 08:06 AM 09-06-2013
to licking the socket! That's terribly dangerous and should be covered if you are doing daycare. Outlet covers are dirt cheap. I'm talking a couple bucks.

I don't mean to flame you but if you are doing daycare, everything should be baby proof or somehow totally off limits to the child even if they were left to roam.

Get a play yard, baby gates, etc. - search thrift stores or craiglist.
Brooksie 08:07 AM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
to licking the socket! That's terribly dangerous and should be covered if you are doing daycare. Outlet covers are dirt cheap. I'm talking a couple bucks.

I don't mean to flame you but if you are doing daycare, everything should be baby proof or somehow totally off limits to the child even if they were left to roam.

Get a play yard, baby gates, etc. - search thrift stores or craiglist.

Emsdayhome 08:12 AM 09-06-2013
everything is covered, I think he was trying to get those safety plugs OUT with his mouth ? I'm not sure, but I redirected immediately. Everything in the daycare is covered and babyproofed, that can be. I'll likely get a mounted shelf for the wall in my caregivers corner, to tuck my laptop away

***has anyone seen baby proofing 'locks' for central vac outlets? It's just a hinged door cover thing...so I don't know if I can secure it?
Emsdayhome 08:19 AM 09-06-2013
sorry, I didn't mean the BARE electrical socket...I don't have any bare sockets in my home lol. I mean the plug OUTLET (ie. covered socket with baby proof plugs in the holes)
butterfly 08:23 AM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by Emsdayhome:
sorry, I didn't mean the BARE electrical socket...I don't have any bare sockets in my home lol. I mean the plug OUTLET (ie. covered socket with baby proof plugs in the holes)
Ok. that's better. I was hoping that all daycare providers would atleast have outlet covers!
Emsdayhome 08:25 AM 09-06-2013
Ok. that's better. I was hoping that all daycare providers would atleast have outlet covers!

....lol. yes....and all parents of young children ;-) Mine are all between 7 and 2 lol
butterfly 08:26 AM 09-06-2013
everything is covered, I think he was trying to get those safety plugs OUT with his mouth ? I'm not sure, but I redirected immediately. Everything in the daycare is covered and babyproofed, that can be. I'll likely get a mounted shelf for the wall in my caregivers corner, to tuck my laptop away

***has anyone seen baby proofing 'locks' for central vac outlets? It's just a hinged door cover thing...so I don't know if I can secure it?
I'm not exactly sure what this may look like, but could you put something infront of it? Something that allows air flow but prevents access for the little ones. I try to strategically place all my furniture to use as barriers when necessary.
Brooksie 08:27 AM 09-06-2013
Oh good!! Shewww you almost gave me a heart attack. I'm pretty sure they have child safety locks for just about any thing, and a lot of the things you can make work for other things. Just do a search on amazon and I'm sure you can find something that will work. I definitely recommend a play yard. I just got one for my infants who are into everything. I only use it when we are doing activities with the older kids or things where I am unable to keep a very close eye on them. They're both into the 'get into everything' stage and are a big handful. Good luck!
Emsdayhome 08:32 AM 09-06-2013
lol . thanks ladies, but I try to maximize my floor space as much as possible so putting a piece of furniture or play structure in front just won't work. I need an actual "lock" . I might look at those magnet locks I've seen places. Should do something. As for the playyard, when we're in the daycare space...I really can monitor everything they're doing at all times. It's not a HUGE space...like a master bedroom loft space, basically. And it's all open, my centres are set up along the perimeter leaving the centre, open for play. (and it's gated lol) . I"ll let you know what I come up with
MyAngels 09:01 AM 09-06-2013
I had one like yours recently. My dh always said dcb thinks "no" means "go" . I finally gave in and pulled the super yard out until he outgrew that stage.
Reply Up