Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions

Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions What books and stories do you like best. Reviews are welcome.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default Book Recommendation

Can someone recommend either a funny book or a good love story? I am in the need to read a good book. It has been a while.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Can someone recommend either a funny book or a good love story? I am in the need to read a good book. It has been a while.
I read "One Day" by Dave Nicholls. It was a fantastic love story and a really good book but one word of warning.....totally skip the movie. It was horrid and a huge disappointment.

Usually I will read a book and if a movie comes out I will pass on seeing it as nothing ever compares to the book version but against my better instincts I watched the movie version of this book and was completely sorry.

Otherwise, I read alot of Janet Evanovich's books and they are laugh out loud funny so those are definitely ones I would recommend reading.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I read "One Day" by Dave Nicholls. It was a fantastic love story and a really good book but one word of warning.....totally skip the movie. It was horrid and a huge disappointment.

Usually I will read a book and if a movie comes out I will pass on seeing it as nothing ever compares to the book version but against my better instincts I watched the movie version of this book and was completely sorry.

Otherwise, I read alot of Janet Evanovich's books and they are laugh out loud funny so those are definitely ones I would recommend reading.
Thanks! I will look for this at our weekly trip to the library with ds. I would've never guessed her books were funny. Good to know!

If you haven't read James Patterson's "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas", please do. Out of all his books, I liked this one the best & it is the only one that is not a mystery! I too like to skip the movies...I will watch Something Borrowed though as I read it a while ago & don't think they can screw it up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I too like to skip the movies...I will watch Something Borrowed though as I read it a while ago & don't think they can screw it up.
Don't be so sure.....it was cute but I thought it didnt do the story justice. If you really loved the book, skip the movie. It's better that way.

My mom is a huge James Patterson fan. She has all his books so I'll have to see if she'll lend it to me.

Do you get regular books or do you have an e-reader?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
CozyHome's Avatar
CozyHome CozyHome is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 83
Default

My favourite authors for comedy are:
Janet Evanovich & Sophie Kinsella

My favourite authors for murder mysteries are:
John Patterson
John Sandford
Tami Hoag
Patricia Cornwell
Greg Iles
(my list here is very long)

My favourite author for historic/part fiction is:
Bernard Cornwell
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 AM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Don't be so sure.....it was cute but I thought it didnt do the story justice. If you really loved the book, skip the movie. It's better that way.

My mom is a huge James Patterson fan. She has all his books so I'll have to see if she'll lend it to me.

Do you get regular books or do you have an e-reader?
both. I got the cheapest Kindle last year for xmas. I am just figuring out how to download books onto it. It says my kindle isn't registered when I tried a month or so ago, which it is. I will need help from a librarian! I always go to book sales at the library so I have a whole cabinet of books in the basement. I used to belong to a book club too but, a lot of those hard covered I donated three years ago to a cancer center while my mom was getting treatment. I especially love to sit outside in the summer & read. Having kids has kind of squashed that though. Haven't done much of that in the past 4 years. I need to fence the yard in this year.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyHome View Post
My favourite authors for comedy are:
Janet Evanovich & Sophie Kinsella

My favourite authors for murder mysteries are:
John Patterson
John Sandford
Tami Hoag
Patricia Cornwell
Greg Iles
(my list here is very long)

My favourite author for historic/part fiction is:
Bernard Cornwell
thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 AM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Don't be so sure.....it was cute but I thought it didnt do the story justice. If you really loved the book, skip the movie. It's better that way.

My mom is a huge James Patterson fan. She has all his books so I'll have to see if she'll lend it to me.

Do you get regular books or do you have an e-reader?
Thanks for the warning on the movie...loved that book & now I always look for her to see if there is a new book out. I will never see "My Sister's Keeper" as that is one of my favorite books ever. Her stories are amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-15-2012, 02:06 AM
CozyHome's Avatar
CozyHome CozyHome is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 83
Default

I never watch movies, can't stay focused that long I guess. But I would also recommend the book 'The Help'. Loved it, it was wonderful but again I didn't see the movie. My Mom said the movie was great.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyHome View Post
I never watch movies, can't stay focused that long I guess. But I would also recommend the book 'The Help'. Loved it, it was wonderful but again I didn't see the movie. My Mom said the movie was great.
I loved " the Help"! Tried to watch the movie but couldn't. I had built such an image in my mind of the homes, people, etc. It wasnt living up to my image. I stopped it after 30 min!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM
CozyHome's Avatar
CozyHome CozyHome is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 83
Default

I forgot another favourite author of historical fiction: Diana Gabaldon with the Outlander Series.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 AM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

"Watermelon", by Marian Keyes is funny and has some romantic elements. It's one of my favorite books.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
"Watermelon", by Marian Keyes is funny and has some romantic elements. It's one of my favorite books.
this is one of my favorite books!! love her!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Sunchimes's Avatar
Sunchimes Sunchimes is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,778
Default

I love Lisa Wingate. She calls herself a Christian writer, but it isn't heavy handed. In most of them, it's no more than someone saying "I'll say a prayer for her." I would call her a modest writer more than a Christian writer. There is romance but sex is more implied.

She does series books, but except for the Tending Roses series (possibly my favorite books ever!), they can stand alone. Same people show up in both, but you don't necessarily have to read them in order.

If you like light-hearted romances with a dose of good friends, I recommend the Hill County Texas series.

Texas Cooking
Lone Star Cafe
Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner

Her Promise Texas series of 3 books are so funny.
Talk Of the Town
Word Gets Around
Never Say Never

You can read the first chapter of her books here: http://lisawingate.com/Bookshelf.htm

She recently had one or two of her books as a free Kindle download. Might check.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM
NeedaVaca's Avatar
NeedaVaca NeedaVaca is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 2,227
Default

I love to read, my list of favorite authors would go on and on but here is one, she has quite a few books out and I've loved them all! Adriana Trigiani
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Rachel's Avatar
Rachel Rachel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 605
Default

I've been enjoying Emily Giffin lately. I read Something Borrowed, Something Blue (read in that order). Also Baby Proof and Heart of the Matter.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 AM
Scout's Avatar
Scout Scout is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I've been enjoying Emily Giffin lately. I read Something Borrowed, Something Blue (read in that order). Also Baby Proof and Heart of the Matter.
I always look to see if she has new books too!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 AM
evelynanacion's Avatar
evelynanacion evelynanacion is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2
Smile

Read A Walk to Remember and The Notebook by Nicholas Spark, they are simply awesome and will make you want to cry more and more... The movies based on them are also good but the books have no match. A must read.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 PM
My3cents's Avatar
My3cents My3cents is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,839
Default

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
"Watermelon", by Marian Keyes is funny and has some romantic elements. It's one of my favorite books.

this is one of my favorite books!! love her!

I am reading this now, as suggested by you ladies....so far good~
Thank you-
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
"Watermelon", by Marian Keyes is funny and has some romantic elements. It's one of my favorite books.

this is one of my favorite books!! love her!

I am reading this now, as suggested by you ladies....so far good~
Thank you-

Marian Keyes is great. That one is my fave, but I'd recommend any and all of her books.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 AM
evelynanacion's Avatar
evelynanacion evelynanacion is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
Marian Keyes is great. That one is my fave, but I'd recommend any and all of her books.
+1 for it. I am a huge fan of Marian Keyes too. Such quality work by her.
____________________________________________________________
I am a root canal surgeon.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:44 AM
just_peachy's Avatar
just_peachy just_peachy is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 180
Default

Pat Conroy's "Beach Music" is one of the first books I ever read that had me laughing until I cried.

It's a very real book though. Very relateable. (hmm, relatable isn't a real word? I never knew!) I read it when I was in college. I should read it again, I bet I'd be able to relate even better now. Love Pat Conroy.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-23-2013, 04:33 PM
boysx5's Avatar
boysx5 boysx5 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchimes View Post
I love Lisa Wingate. She calls herself a Christian writer, but it isn't heavy handed. In most of them, it's no more than someone saying "I'll say a prayer for her." I would call her a modest writer more than a Christian writer. There is romance but sex is more implied.

She does series books, but except for the Tending Roses series (possibly my favorite books ever!), they can stand alone. Same people show up in both, but you don't necessarily have to read them in order.

If you like light-hearted romances with a dose of good friends, I recommend the Hill County Texas series.

Texas Cooking
Lone Star Cafe
Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner

Her Promise Texas series of 3 books are so funny.
Talk Of the Town
Word Gets Around
Never Say Never

You can read the first chapter of her books here: http://lisawingate.com/Bookshelf.htm

She recently had one or two of her books as a free Kindle download. Might check.
Love love her books I read Tending Roses once a year
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
book suggestions

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free And Fun Book Written By Daycare Provider Unregistered Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 2 11-14-2012 09:01 PM
Book Storage In Multi-Age Setting SilverSabre25 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 07-18-2012 08:05 AM
I Would Like A Book Recommendation On... Former Teacher Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 2 05-26-2012 09:30 PM
Michael, Book Review/Club Section? dEHmom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 05-10-2012 09:53 AM
Book Hospital originalkat Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions 6 08-12-2010 09:42 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:02 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming