Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Business Cards
jenh171 11:34 AM 08-04-2010
I was just re-ordering my business cards, which I usually set out in some of the stores/bulleting boards in town. I was wondering if I should not have my street address on there for safety's sake? I had it on their previously, but it just occurred to me that perhaps I should leave that out. I'd appreciate your thoughts about this! Thank you!
JenNJ 11:36 AM 08-04-2010
I do not have my address on any promo material -- business cards, online listings, or even my website. I actaully so not give out my address until after a phone interview for saftey reasons.
emosks 11:41 AM 08-04-2010
Considering that if you are licensed anyone can look up your address if you have your name on your business card, business or personal, so I don't see why you should leave it off.
jenh171 11:41 AM 08-04-2010
do you have a website or blog? if so, would you put that address on the business cards too?
emosks 11:45 AM 08-04-2010
I have a Facebook page for the daycare as well as a blog. I know my address is on the FB one and might be on the blog. My phone number is so someone could find my address by a reverse lookup from that.
Michael 12:09 PM 08-05-2010
Get a PO Box and put that address on your cards.
SunflowerMama 12:16 PM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I do not have my address on any promo material -- business cards, online listings, or even my website. I actaully so not give out my address until after a phone interview for saftey reasons.
Same here.
Crystal 01:12 PM 08-05-2010
I don't have my address on anything either. don't want unexpected visitors.

There was also an issue in our community a couple of years ago....a couple of women targeted child cares to rip them off. They knew that the providers would be alone with the children and were coming to the door as solicitors selling some type of service to daycares....they would manage to talk providers into allowing them in and then one would steal while the other one kept the provider occupied.

In Ca. our address isn't on the licensing website and the resource and referral agencies provide only zip codes/vicinities and phone numbers, not the actual addresses.
emosks 02:24 PM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
In Ca. our address isn't on the licensing website and the resource and referral agencies provide only zip codes/vicinities and phone numbers, not the actual addresses.

I wish it was like that here!!
jenh171 04:34 PM 08-05-2010
thank you, everyone! your input really helps!
professionalmom 04:47 PM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
I wish it was like that here!!
Yeah, I was never really comfortable about that either. It felt like an advertisement for pedophiles and rapists. It's a scary world out there and there are some really sick people out there. If they figure out that daycares (especially home daycares) have their addresses listed and that most of them are women who are alone, it could be very dangerous. There is a sense of vulnerability in that kind of open advertisement.
misol 05:08 PM 08-05-2010
I don't have my address on any of my printed materials or my website - I only use my city and state. Our state has our address listed on the licensing website though. I hate that too. At least if they want to find me they have to take the extra step to try and match my business cards to the website.
MommyMuffin 06:58 AM 08-06-2010
What company do you ladies purchase your buisness cards from?
jenh171 07:25 AM 08-06-2010
I've always used overnightprints.com. You can design your card right there on the site and I like that it saves the design, so it is simple to re-order. plus, there are always good deals and i'm notified of the sales in my inbox. I just re-ordered 250 cards b/c they had a great sale. The total only came to $15 and that is with the shipping. It's a great deal and the cards are a very good quality.
JenNJ 08:41 AM 08-06-2010
I use vistaprint.com
swaddlebees 08:54 AM 08-06-2010
any good promos on those 2 sites listed or referral codes? I have been meaning to order some, but keep forgetting...

I also do not put my address on anything. I dont want anyone just randomly showing up at my house. I was freaked out enough today when a jehovas witness walked right into my backyard where I was with the kids...I near about crapped myself at a stranger walking up to us.
professionalmom 08:58 AM 08-06-2010
I use vistaprint.com
Ditto for my business cards AND my website. And VERY reasonably priced.
JenNJ 09:01 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
Ditto for my business cards AND my website. And VERY reasonably priced.
I use them for everything. I always little magnetic business cards too for clients to give to friends. Great way to not lose my number!
misol 11:14 AM 08-06-2010
vistaprint here too.
Abigail 04:42 PM 08-08-2010
I use vistaprint.com
Vistaprint has a "Refer A Friend" link on the bottom of their page, so if someone wants to sign up, someone can refer them and get $5 credit.
thatgagirl 05:39 AM 08-09-2010
I need a deal on cards. If someone wants to refer me to vistaprint give me a code. If I can get the cards cheap enough I will order
nannyde 05:59 AM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I don't have my address on anything either. don't want unexpected visitors.

There was also an issue in our community a couple of years ago....a couple of women targeted child cares to rip them off. They knew that the providers would be alone with the children and were coming to the door as solicitors selling some type of service to daycares....they would manage to talk providers into allowing them in and then one would steal while the other one kept the provider occupied.

My state puts our name, address, phone number, class of registration AND... duh duh duh duh.... A LOCATOR. Your can sort by zipcode AND they have an ap to get directions.

All without every asking us.

It started with putting our names online... then they added our phone numbers.. then our adresses and within the last few months they have added a sort by zipcode and a locator.

No sense in leaving out your name and address now. Anybody can google you by any piece of that info and get your addy AND directions now.

I think it's dangerous but they say it's public info.

The only good thing that came from it is that now there is no reason to try to keep it from anyone. I have a website and have put a locator on it now. It saves the 'where are you located" calls which annoy me when they live 45 minutes away.

If I could though.. I would have nothing but our name online. Even if they changed it now it wouldn't matter. There are so many sites that have the information they put up now on their site. Once you publish lists like that online you can't unring the bell.

The amount of telemarketers targeting day care has SKYROCKETED since they did this. We are slammed with daily calls. No call list doesn't work because it doesn't protect businesses.
Abigail 03:34 PM 08-09-2010
You would be amazed how much information someone who is good with computers has access too! Someone who is elderly has my name and somehow I started getting AARP and all this retirement stuff in the mail back when I was in high school! ha ha.

Google your name, use "First Name Last Name" to filter out all those who have either your first name or your last name. Do the same with your daycare name "Daycare Name" then City and you might find stuff. You might even find someones web page or facebook page or something that had something written about you or your daycare. You would be surprised!

Type it in your main web browser as is or go to google.com etc and try it.
professionalmom 04:20 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My state puts our name, address, phone number, class of registration AND... duh duh duh duh.... A LOCATOR. Your can sort by zipcode AND they have an ap to get directions.

All without every asking us.

It started with putting our names online... then they added our phone numbers.. then our adresses and within the last few months they have added a sort by zipcode and a locator.

No sense in leaving out your name and address now. Anybody can google you by any piece of that info and get your addy AND directions now.

I think it's dangerous but they say it's public info.

The only good thing that came from it is that now there is no reason to try to keep it from anyone. I have a website and have put a locator on it now. It saves the 'where are you located" calls which annoy me when they live 45 minutes away.

If I could though.. I would have nothing but our name online. Even if they changed it now it wouldn't matter. There are so many sites that have the information they put up now on their site. Once you publish lists like that online you can't unring the bell.

The amount of telemarketers targeting day care has SKYROCKETED since they did this. We are slammed with daily calls. No call list doesn't work because it doesn't protect businesses.
MI does the same thing so it doesn't matter what I leave out, anyone can find me. Except a few clients I have had tried the "I didn't have your number with me" when they no-call, no show (and have to pay for the day because DHS doesn't pay for NCNS). Really, you couldn't find my phone number. It's on the DHS website, my website, the phone book under child care. I have a personal email address, business email address, a land line phone, a cell phone, a website, a facebook page, etc. And you could not find me?! Seriously?! And this is AFTER I have given them at least 3-5 business cards with ALL this info on them.

The telemarketers are really horrible now here too. I keep getting calls about stuff that I could never use in a home daycare. Seriously, do you think with a limit of 6 kids at a time, I do enough business to warrant a credit card machine? And I did try to "do not call list" and you are right - does not work for businesses. And it's extremely annoying to get those calls during a round of diaper changes, while prepping a snack or meal, etc. What I loved was we had Direct TV and if the TV was on, the caller ID would show up on the screen, so all I had to do was look up. I didn't even have to go to the phone. If it was an obvious TM call, I didn't even bother interrupting what I was doing.
Abigail 08:25 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:

The telemarketers are really horrible now here too. I keep getting calls about stuff that I could never use in a home daycare. Seriously, do you think with a limit of 6 kids at a time, I do enough business to warrant a credit card machine? And I did try to "do not call list" and you are right - does not work for businesses. And it's extremely annoying to get those calls during a round of diaper changes, while prepping a snack or meal, etc. What I loved was we had Direct TV and if the TV was on, the caller ID would show up on the screen, so all I had to do was look up. I didn't even have to go to the phone. If it was an obvious TM call, I didn't even bother interrupting what I was doing.
Can you open a landline and just call it your business line, but it's really just a residential line to keep TM to a minimum? We don't have a landline since we've got our cell phones, but I'm sure I'll be getting one once I move. I think it's required to be licensed actually, but I'm not sure.
Michael 08:30 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Can you open a landline and just call it your business line, but it's really just a residential line to keep TM to a minimum? We don't have a landline since we've got our cell phones, but I'm sure I'll be getting one once I move. I think it's required to be licensed actually, but I'm not sure.
If you have a personal line you can write off the "other" line for business on your company taxes. Are you filing for a DBA or LLC?
Tags:business card, safety
Reply Up