Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PSA on New Car Seat to Prevent Hot Car Deaths!
Sugar Magnolia 03:36 PM 09-09-2015
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/24/health...ot-car-deaths/

Hope that link works, I'm on my mobile. I'm going to share this with my families.

While I like this idea, I do think it could be improved. Must be low cost and compatible with all vehicles too. Interesting idea.
Rockgirl 03:46 PM 09-09-2015
Great idea!
Mariahsaint 04:45 PM 09-09-2015
I also think this is a great idea.

I almost hope they have it where the noise changes each time as I know myself personally get used to sounds. Like when you leave your keys in the ignition with the door open. I still leave my keys in occasionally because I automatically tune it out now.
Sugar Magnolia 05:18 PM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by Mariahsaint:
I also think this is a great idea.

I almost hope they have it where the noise changes each time as I know myself personally get used to sounds. Like when you leave your keys in the ignition with the door open. I still leave my keys in occasionally because I automatically tune it out now.
They could use a loud voice recording.....I'm thinking Chris Rock......yell "HEY GET YOUR BABY OUT, DUMMY!"
I JOKE.

Eta: I can't take credit for that idea. Mr. Magnolia came up w that
Mariahsaint 06:12 PM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
They could use a loud voice recording.....I'm thinking Chris Rock......yell "HEY GET YOUR BABY OUT, DUMMY!"
I JOKE.

Eta: I can't take credit for that idea. Mr. Magnolia came up w that
lmao! Brilliant.
laundrymom 07:34 PM 09-09-2015
I've been suggesting to new parents to put their phone in the car seat. Everyone remembers it and if they forget it's not three minutes that they remember. I'll suggest anything if it helps. Thanks for this link.
Sugar Magnolia 07:39 PM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I've been suggesting to new parents to put their phone in the car seat. Everyone remembers it and if they forget it's not three minutes that they remember. I'll suggest anything if it helps. Thanks for this link.
Now THAT is brilliant!
renodeb 07:51 PM 09-09-2015
Its very sad to me that technology has to now play such a role in not leaving your baby in a hot car. I'm just saying.
Deb
Unregistered 07:59 PM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by renodeb:
Its very sad to me that technology has to now play such a role in not leaving your baby in a hot car. I'm just saying.
Deb
I agree. Laundrymom's suggestion is good but so sad that parents will remember their phones before their kid.
laundrymom 05:27 AM 09-10-2015
It happens. To people who really love and care for their kids. It only takes a change in routine. Be it mom dropping off instead of dad. Or a new route to work. It happens to the most dedicated and loving parents. That's why it's so scary. I had a training once and the mom who lost her child was one of the trainers.
Her husband took baby that day. Was supposed to drop at daycare. Baby fell asleep instantly on the ride. Dad drove to work. Mom called to meet for lunch and the second he heard her voice he remembered he'd not dropped baby off. Sprinted to car. Too late.
It happens. Even to the most doting and loving parents.
It's why I call or text if a family is late.
Is it my "job"?
No
But if my simple text or call reminds someone and saves a life.
Not really an argument for not texting or calling. Is there?
Accidents happen.
That's why I suggest tucking their phone in the seat. Because I will start calling landlines if I need to. Until I get a response. I've not saved a child yet. But am not changing my practice. I will always text or call when families are late.
Unregistered 05:50 AM 09-10-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
It happens. To people who really love and care for their kids. It only takes a change in routine. Be it mom dropping off instead of dad. Or a new route to work. It happens to the most dedicated and loving parents. That's why it's so scary. I had a training once and the mom who lost her child was one of the trainers.
Her husband took baby that day. Was supposed to drop at daycare. Baby fell asleep instantly on the ride. Dad drove to work. Mom called to meet for lunch and the second he heard her voice he remembered he'd not dropped baby off. Sprinted to car. Too late.
It happens. Even to the most doting and loving parents.
It's why I call or text if a family is late.
Is it my "job"?
No
But if my simple text or call reminds someone and saves a life.
Not really an argument for not texting or calling. Is there?
Accidents happen.
That's why I suggest tucking their phone in the seat. Because I will start calling landlines if I need to. Until I get a response. I've not saved a child yet. But am not changing my practice. I will always text or call when families are late.
But that's the problem.
It shouldn't happen ever.
Just the way it was stated in your post shows that society has simply accepted the fact that parents can forget their child by using certain terms or situations to justify it
New parents
Busy parents
Distracted parents
Wasn't their day to have the child
Out of routine
Off their regular schedules
Parents should be held accountable, as in criminally for forgetting their child.
Like previous poster said, its sad these same people rarely, if ever forget their cell phones.
Forgetting a child seems to have become so common that most stories of it happening go unnoticed or hardly even make the news.

You are right. It happens.
But it shouldn't happen EVER
laundrymom 06:10 AM 09-10-2015
Agreed. However, I've also had parents arrive for drop off. Only to discover their spouse dropped off earlier. It's habit or routine. When someone's routine changes it is difficult to adapt sometimes. Especially for sleep deprived, stressed people. I'm not excusing the behavior, really, I'm not.
I completely agree that it should never happen. That never is it acceptable. But I can also not condemn a parent Everyone says is to be a loving, conscientious mom or dad, if this would happen to them. It's a hot button topic with huge emotional ties. The guilt and grief surrounding it is more than most could bare.
My ex husband forgot our newborn in the car for about three minutes when she was five days old. It wasn't hot. It was October in Spokane. We had been to a meeting and I had our older child, and went to the house while he parked the car. Then he brought in the diaper bag. I asked where the baby was and he dashed to the car. Tears streaming down his face. Apologizing all over to her, to me. Thoroughly disgusted with himself. He was a loving dad. A dedicated parent. And he forgot his newborn baby in a car. We were incredibly lucky that day.
I'm not excusing the people who experience this. I'm just trying to do what I can to remedy the situation.
You are right. It should never happen. Ever. And I see the phone trigger not as the idea that they think about the phone more than their child. But rather that their routines usually include the phone.
My daughter is now 22 and I swear, she was never left any other time. But it still haunts me. The what ifs.
Not trying to debate, because I completely agree w you. I just also completely understand how it can happen.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
But that's the problem.
It shouldn't happen ever.
Just the way it was stated in your post shows that society has simply accepted the fact that parents can forget their child by using certain terms or situations to justify it
New parents
Busy parents
Distracted parents
Wasn't their day to have the child
Out of routine
Off their regular schedules
Parents should be held accountable, as in criminally for forgetting their child.
Like previous poster said, its sad these same people rarely, if ever forget their cell phones.
Forgetting a child seems to have become so common that most stories of it happening go unnoticed or hardly even make the news.

You are right. It happens.
But it shouldn't happen EVER

Tags:child safety
Reply Up