Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ratio Question
Unregistered 08:24 PM 03-18-2021
Logged out for privacy.

I've always been told by my previous licensor that my own kids under the age of 6 count in my ratio. Our youngest will be 6 in a few months and he won't count any longer. I'm interviewing someone this weekend to start when he does turn 6, so I can fill that spot.

Well, I just looked on our states site to make sure it was 6 years old, and this is what it says:

(i)*The children counted in the capacity include the provider's own children under the age of six (6) years old.

(A)*All foster children, under the age of 13, on the premises shall be included in the capacity;

(B)*All* children,* including those* related to staff,* on the premises during hours of operation shall be included in the capacity; and*any given time.

(C)*School age childhood friends shall be limited to two (2) at

Doesn't B seem to contradict (i)?? I know I have to ask my licensor. Just curious what you take from this? I'm worried I may have to take the spot back.
Michael 09:14 PM 03-18-2021
Which state or do you not want to say?
Cat Herder 04:33 AM 03-19-2021
B would refer to siblings of current kids (drop-off/pick-up), visitors, neighbors or assistants children. Even if they are only in your home/play area for two minutes, they count into your ratio.

You = Provider.
Staff = Employees, spouse or adult children. Anyone with the reasonable expectation of helping an injured child or intervening in any way in an emergency.
Sunshine69 10:23 AM 03-19-2021
Wow! I hope they give you a generous ratio, OP.
coloradoprovider 10:31 AM 03-19-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
B would refer to siblings of current kids (drop-off/pick-up), visitors, neighbors or assistants children. Even if they are only in your home/play area for two minutes, they count into your ratio.

You = Provider.
Staff = Employees, spouse or adult children. Anyone with the reasonable expectation of helping an injured child or intervening in any way in an emergency.
If a child is here with parent for pickup/dropoff, they don't count in my ratios. That is either a very strict state or a very strict interpretation of the rules.
Cat Herder 11:01 AM 03-19-2021
Originally Posted by coloradoprovider:
If a child is here with parent for pickup/dropoff, they don't count in my ratios. That is either a very strict state or a very strict interpretation of the rules.
If they are there when the state inspector arrives, they do. They will list which parent and which extra child on their notes.

Too many people were cheating and saying the child was "just leaving", then bringing the child back when they left. Too many were sending an assistant away with their own child (sometimes others, too), then returning the same way. You may not get cited, but it is documented. Too many times and you will be on a "suspicion" list so they can come more often and watch the comings and goings without your knowledge.

That is one reason siblings stay on the porch with their parent and only one car is allowed in the driveway at a time. Transparency.
Tags:provider - own kids, ratio
Reply Up