Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Opinions On Which Table To Get
GotKids 11:41 AM 07-23-2012
That is the next thing I am replacing. As you guys know good tables and chairs are not cheap so I don't want to get something that looks out of place or won't hold up again.
I am considering http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...mfurniture.jsp with http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...cs=PDP_3_JJ320

Do you think those would good in this room or should I get a colored one instead?

Crazy8 11:53 AM 07-23-2012
I think you posted another pic that showed those tables all scratched, right??? I was bummed because I had planned on getting a little table and chairs like that but I'm afraid of the wear and tear on them! That dark stuff does show the scratches A LOT!!!

The one you posted looks great, I'm sure it would hold up better. I have the laminate/metal type, it has held up fabulous for over 11 years of steady use BUT I don't love the look of it since my room isn't done in primary colors anymore. Its like this - http://www.ecmdstore.com/Product/Pro...&Brand=&Price=

Truly Scrumptious 11:54 AM 07-23-2012
I think it would look fine either way. You might get a better deal on a table at Walmart.com (they sell preschool furniture).

I like your room!
GotKids 12:00 PM 07-23-2012
I got the kidkraft tables and they are so so scratched. Theyh are only a little over a year old. The wood is so soft. The screws don't stay in either. You spend a lot of time making sure they don't fall apart. I have a VERy active group and they are tougher on things but really did expect a big brand like this to last long enough to use longer. I am missing so many screws that I am about to have to remove them for safety reasons.
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I think you posted another pic that showed those tables all scratched, right??? I was bummed because I had planned on getting a little table and chairs like that but I'm afraid of the wear and tear on them! That dark stuff does show the scratches A LOT!!!

The one you posted looks great, I'm sure it would hold up better. I have the laminate/metal type, it has held up fabulous for over 11 years of steady use BUT I don't love the look of it since my room isn't done in primary colors anymore. Its like this - http://www.ecmdstore.com/Product/Pro...&Brand=&Price=

GotKids 12:02 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
I think it would look fine either way. You might get a better deal on a table at Walmart.com (they sell preschool furniture).

I like your room!
Thank you I will look there. And thanks for the compliment. There are still some tips I am working on that people suggested. I am hoping to have it all together by the new school year
Crazy8 12:05 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by GotKids:
I got the kidkraft tables and they are so so scratched. Theyh are only a little over a year old. The wood is so soft. The screws don't stay in either. You spend a lot of time making sure they don't fall apart. I have a VERy active group and they are tougher on things but really did expect a big brand like this to last long enough to use longer. I am missing so many screws that I am about to have to remove them for safety reasons.
thanks. I was just considering a small table and chairs for my kitchen/dramatic play area - they would still eat and do crafts at the big one I linked above, but yeah, that dark stuff just gets scratched so easily! I redid my room in the dark "espresso" version of the cubbies you have in white and they are getting pretty beat up - so far a little old english has helped but I know I won't get as many years as I got out of the maple color ones we had before! I love the look of the dark wood but it definitely isn't as durable! Since you have so many other wood pieces in the room I think that birch stuff would be perfect for you!!
Thetotspot 12:07 PM 07-23-2012
I can't speak for which table you should get because I can't view links for some reason. But I just had to say how much I love your daycare room. Its amazing! I got some plastic tables from walmart, they are blue and cost 78 dollars each, I'm not sure how well they well hold up to scratches but I find them to be very sturdy and they do have adjustable height legs. I definitely love the ecr4kids chairs I got there though. I was worried they woukd be cheaply made plastic chairs like the kids lawn chairs you find at the dollar store, but they are very nice and easy to clean, hard to tip, light enough for the kids to move around. Sorry about the typos, responding via my android, lol.
GotKids 12:16 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by Thetotspot:
I can't speak for which table you should get because I can't view links for some reason. But I just had to say how much I love your daycare room. Its amazing! I got some plastic tables from walmart, they are blue and cost 78 dollars each, I'm not sure how well they well hold up to scratches but I find them to be very sturdy and they do have adjustable height legs. I definitely love the ecr4kids chairs I got there though. I was worried they woukd be cheaply made plastic chairs like the kids lawn chairs you find at the dollar store, but they are very nice and easy to clean, hard to tip, light enough for the kids to move around. Sorry about the typos, responding via my android, lol.
Thank you for the compliments, I am looking at walmart's site right now. The links I have up there are a solid birch table and birch chairs, but I am not sold on them. Don't worry about typo's with me. I have really bad dyslexia and typing is always a struggle for me. My family says sometimes me emails are like puzzles because I leave out words or auto correct to the wrong ones.
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 07-23-2012
Since my DH is a woodworker/cabinet maker I have several wood tables and chair sets for the daycare. One of the first thing hubs does to the table tops is cover them with what most people call bar top resin.

It is a clear epoxy that you pour over the top and when dry, the table top is 100% scratch, dent or chip free. It is easy to clean and super durable. One of my tables has been in my home for 20 years and not once have I had a kid scratch or dent the table.

My brother has a set of end tables in his bedroom with the bar top resin on them and he leaves a glass of water on the tables at night and is old tables got lots of water marks.....now with bar top resin....there is zero sign of him leaving a glass on it.

I know you can buy small kits for single table tops at any home improvement store so if your interested it is worth checking it out http://bartopepoxy.com/
SilverSabre25 12:18 PM 07-23-2012
purty daycare room! Love it, makes me jealous and wonder why I can't get mine to look as cool as everyone else's, lol!!

Love the table, think it's great. I prefer neutral tones for furniture so I would definitely not go for a colored one.
Heidi 12:51 PM 07-23-2012
I vote for birch over colored, too.

http://www.communityplaythings.com/p...les/index.html

check these out. I had one for years, and loved it. Recently traded it to another provider because I don't have the space for it, and I'm pretty sure she's happy with it. It's got 15 years of use and still looks ALMOST new.

If anyone has them, I would recommend stools instead of chairs. They are so much easier for little people to get in and out of, because they don't have to pull them out and push them in. I've noticed some kids sit better on stools, too. You could even get some regular adult stools at Walmart and have them cut to size.

I found these...which are adorable, so I can't resist posting them. But, not quite right, I don't think...

http://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Handp...eywords=stools

countrymom 12:53 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Since my DH is a woodworker/cabinet maker I have several wood tables and chair sets for the daycare. One of the first thing hubs does to the table tops is cover them with what most people call bar top resin.

It is a clear epoxy that you pour over the top and when dry, the table top is 100% scratch, dent or chip free. It is easy to clean and super durable. One of my tables has been in my home for 20 years and not once have I had a kid scratch or dent the table.

My brother has a set of end tables in his bedroom with the bar top resin on them and he leaves a glass of water on the tables at night and is old tables got lots of water marks.....now with bar top resin....there is zero sign of him leaving a glass on it.

I know you can buy small kits for single table tops at any home improvement store so if your interested it is worth checking it out http://bartopepoxy.com/
down our way it use to be called "bowling alley epoxy" but they don't sell it anymore.
countrymom 12:57 PM 07-23-2012
love your room. I really like the dark wood, it looks like a warm feeling. I saw someone had laminate (peel and stick) flooring ontop. Also, add glue, then rescrew all your furniture. Your fire place needs a long cushion, it looks like a good reading area.
spud912 01:16 PM 07-23-2012
I think the new table would work great!

By the way, how is the rearranging coming along? I would love to see the final product when you are done! Did you end up re-homing the bus?
Nickel 04:25 PM 07-23-2012
I have to say I love the birch table. I am such a fan of natural wood and I think it would look great in your space

I also love the toadstool seats that someone else posted from amazon. WOW... So wish those would go with my decor. I am almost tempted to repaint my walls with a fantasy forest theme just so I could purchase them. I will be watching for them to go on clearence

I too am looking for a table for my dc. I was even looking for a coffee table that was about 20 inches high used but not having any luck. Looks like I'm going to have to break down and cough up the money. But I'm liking the walmart.com site until I get some money in. They have wood tables too that are about 100.

Would love to see an update on your new table in your room
GotKids 06:13 PM 07-23-2012
Thank you guys! I looked at the walmart site and found a nice table for much less than birch, but I really am in love with the solid wood. I think I am going to talk to hubby and see what I can get away with. However, I did come up with a new idea for my art area. I am hoping to get that done as soon as possible
Nickel 07:10 PM 07-23-2012
I too have a table question.. I was looing at the walmart.com website per the suggestions above and I saw this really pretty white picnic table. But I'm looking for a 20 in high rectanlge table for my science area. What do you all think? Could I stick the picnic table against the wall on the side and use that, or would it just look funny in my house?
Sprouts 09:39 PM 07-23-2012
IKEA! If you have an ikea any where near you then that is the place to be! I bought a cute little table and it came with 2 chairs for $20! wood btw
Truly Scrumptious 07:05 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I too have a table question.. I was looing at the walmart.com website per the suggestions above and I saw this really pretty white picnic table. But I'm looking for a 20 in high rectanlge table for my science area. What do you all think? Could I stick the picnic table against the wall on the side and use that, or would it just look funny in my house?
The little white picnic table is adorable and I think it would look great in your space. But, think about where you would want it to go when your planning for your science area. And think about how much stuff would be sitting on it...kids will be able to sit on both sides, so things would be in the middle of the table. If you're ok with that, then I say get it if you like it.
Heidi 09:00 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I have to say I love the birch table. I am such a fan of natural wood and I think it would look great in your space

I also love the toadstool seats that someone else posted from amazon. WOW... So wish those would go with my decor. I am almost tempted to repaint my walls with a fantasy forest theme just so I could purchase them. I will be watching for them to go on clearence

I too am looking for a table for my dc. I was even looking for a coffee table that was about 20 inches high used but not having any luck. Looks like I'm going to have to break down and cough up the money. But I'm liking the walmart.com site until I get some money in. They have wood tables too that are about 100.

Would love to see an update on your new table in your room
I know! The name of my daycare is Kinderhaus, and I live in a log home, so it's my playroom has a story-book cottage in the woods theme. Our house is up for sale, and if it sells, my new playroom will be totally woodsy. I have a lot of ideas. My playroom will be considerably bigger and 100 daycare, so I could go all-out....
Nickel 10:42 AM 07-24-2012
That would be such an awesome play room!!! I'm envious just picturing it. I would love to do something like that. When we move next year I am definitely picking a house to have a big daycare room.
Tags:stools, tables
Reply Up