Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help!
Amberly82 05:45 PM 07-25-2012
Ok, so I am the process of getting licensed to do daycare..while I am filling out all my paperwork I have been advertising in the papers and on facebook like crazy. I live in the country about 10 miles from town...I think that living out in the country is turning people off from contacting me. I know lots of ppl from town..I grew up here and my family is well known...so I am at a stand still I have not had one call! I just decided today that I would do pickups for the kids and see if I can generate more business...I know ten miles is a ways to drive for most people...What is everyone's take on doing pick up's...my father in law is an insurance agent so im not worried about getting the right kind of coverage. I just really want this to work out..and selling the house and moving to town is NOT an option right now..haha

Thanks for any feedback!
cheerfuldom 06:17 PM 07-25-2012
I would definitely talk to your licensor and your insurance agent about the liability associated with driving other peoples children. I can see why parents are not selecting your daycare.....20 miles round trip out of the way, twice a day, does not sound appealing at all.
Amberly82 07:04 PM 07-25-2012
Actually I live in a very populated township/country area and am within 5 miles of other small towns...so not everyone around me is 10 miles away. I was going to offer pick ups for the people who live in town. I never intended to target just the people who live in town. I am 3 miles off a high way and many people commute to town right by my house. I originally was hoping to get other country clients as well as commuters. I am not getting the response I would like and have decided to open my business up to the people in town...and offer a convenient pick up.
Truly Scrumptious 08:51 PM 07-25-2012
I wouldn't want the liability...and what happens when parents are running late...or the weather is bad?

I had a family a few years ago that would drive 25 miles to my house and back to work (the mom actually lived about 5 min away from her office and would pass it on the way to day care) and then when she got off in the afternoon would drive 25 miles to my house and back past her office and then home. I kept her daughter from age 2 until she started school and then her 4 month old son took his sister's slot and stayed until he started school.

So, there are families that will go the extra mile for quality care. As a parent, if I liked you and was impressed with your program...I wouldnt mind the drive.

Maybe just see what kind of response you get from the people in town, before offering pick up.
Amberly82 01:48 PM 07-26-2012
I was going to have one meeting time and place...if there are late..more then say 10min then they will have to come out to my house if they want care for the day...also if the roads are bad..I will not drive...they can come out to the house if they want..but I will not drive on bad roads....I have advertised for 2 almost 3 months.. with only a few inquiries. I really want/need this to work..so I was looking for another way to get some business.
DaisyMamma 02:20 PM 07-26-2012
I'm feeling your pain. I've also considered doing this as well. Each time I think about doing it I change my mind again. I'm not worried about licensing or insurance. I just don't want to do it. But I have my own kids, one of which needs to get on the bus @ my house and the other who is sometimes not ready when DCP start arriving.
It's so nice to work inside the home and almost changes that if you were to have to drive these kids both ways everyday.

So, my questions are.
Are you sure that is the reason people are not interested?
Maybe don't put your location in your ads.
Are you prepared to fully make the commitment of doing that trip twice a day? It sounds like you gave it a lot of thought, so if you're up for it, then I say go for it.
Call back the families that you did interview and ask them if this service would help them reconsider.
Amberly82 02:35 PM 07-26-2012
Daisy Mamma: Work is so hard to come by..if I wasn't doing home daycare..and I was to get a full time job my commute would be around 30 miles a day..so 60 total, and I drive (10) miles to town everyday now for my part time job anyways so that really doesn't bother me..of course I would love for them to all just come out here but really driving is not that big of a deal for me..I chose to live in the country because I do like the drive..weird..yes.

..and I do believe its the drive that is stopping people...several people who know me pretty well have said that if I wasn't so far out that they would use me because they know me. I am going to offer it for now see if I generate any more business.

I would really love to rent a place in town and just go that route..but the state requires that you live there...so I am hoping to do it from my house for a few years...use my required education hours that I earn and open a "center" in town. I really don't want employees I basically just want in-home daycare in a place that I rent.

Hopefully that all works out...Thanks for the feedback...for the most part everyone I have asked thinks its a great idea
DaisyMamma 07:24 PM 07-26-2012
Sounds like a good idea then. I would go for it if I were you!
Tags:country settings, out of town, rural child care, rural daycare
Reply Up