Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Decorations and Licensing Rules
Controlled Chaos 01:08 PM 12-16-2014
So I am expecting a licensing agent to come for the initial inspection in the next week. I think I have all my paperwork and filing in order. I am running license exempt while waiting for my license to be approved. The daycare space is set up and great. My kitchen is super baby-proofed. I am nervous, even though I know it is meant to help me, she can't site me when I am not even licensed yet...right?!

But - My Christmas decorations??? I was expecting to not have someone come through till January, so I figured I would decorate like normal and worry about it being "approved" next year. I am having trouble looking at my tree and lights through the lens of the licensing rules. What if any modifications do you to your tree/lights/nativity scenes etc?

Thanks for your help!
Sugar Magnolia 01:17 PM 12-16-2014
No extension cords, no multiple strings of lights plugged into each other (that falls under no
Extension cords), nothing glass within reach, no edible decorations (like popcorn, cranberry strand), no choking hazards, no strangulation hazards.
Good luck!
midaycare 01:19 PM 12-16-2014
I have a gate around my tree. When a part time parent was signing on he was like, "Is that for your dog?" And I answered, "No my German Shepherd is well behaved. That is for the daycare kids!"

Seriously ... How else can I expect kids all 2 and under not to touch? I tried it for a week without it, but they tag teamed me. A few would distract while one would go sneak an ornament off the tree. Or a candy cane.
Controlled Chaos 01:28 PM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have a gate around my tree. When a part time parent was signing on he was like, "Is that for your dog?" And I answered, "No my German Shepherd is well behaved. That is for the daycare kids!"

Seriously ... How else can I expect kids all 2 and under not to touch? I tried it for a week without it, but they tag teamed me. A few would distract while one would go sneak an ornament off the tree. Or a candy cane.
Yes, I will have to get a gate/play yard thing to block it off. It is blocked my a toy box and chair, the kids have been thwarted by the visual barrier, but for licensing I will need the gate.

Thanks.
daycare 02:17 PM 12-16-2014
gate around the tree. As others stated make sure the decorations are out of their reach. THink of all of the bad things that could happen to a child based on how you have it set up and then change it....lol

this is what I did. I crawled around on my hands and knees, (child vision)
and just looked at what I could get into as a child and how it could be dangerous. If I found anything like that i fixed it, removed it or changed it so that it was safe. Do the same with your xmas stuff...
KSDC 07:41 AM 12-17-2014
My family has two Christmas trees. I hang my Daycare tree on the wall. Seriously. I have an artificial tree. We bend the branches to the front and hang it from a nail up high. It keeps it out of reach of the toddlers who still put everything in their mouth and lets us still enjoy the season. I also decorate it with child friendly, non-breakable ornaments.

Our second tree is our family tree. It is on the 2nd story of the house - the area daycare kids don't get to go to. That is where my keepsake and fragile ornaments get hung.
Controlled Chaos 09:45 PM 12-17-2014
I went out and bought a play yard gate thing, that I can use to block off the tree. Luckily for the most part I do daycare in the basement, but I needed to check the upstairs since technically I do use that space for like one hour a day while I make lunch.

We have 2 trees too

Thanks for all the tips!

I sort of panicked at the idea of figuring out my decorations even though I have 3 under 5 of my own, so it is pretty safe anyway

Thanks!
Reply Up