Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing After 7 Years
Unregistered 10:35 AM 03-31-2011
I am ready to be done. I can't deal with the everyday stresses of this job. Most of which is the parents being disrespectful. I want to be with my DD's they are growing up so fast and are too old to be dealing with the little kids. I have typed up and printed my resignation letter and have given the parents 3 mo. notice and several #'s of other providers in the area. BUT...I'm terrified to give them this letter. Never been good at giving bad news. My mom is coming over for moral support at 4:15. I have put all the letters in envelopes with parents names on them. Please say a prayer for me for courage! Thanks!
jessrlee 10:50 AM 03-31-2011
Best of luck! I hope everything goes smoothly!

PS: You are prepared for kids to be pulled pretty quickly? When a provider quits usually parents tend to start looking right away. I don't want you to be in a financial mess if you are planning on the 3 months of pay.
momma2girls 10:52 AM 03-31-2011
Good luck to you on your next venture!!
momofboys 10:55 AM 03-31-2011
I agree with a previous poster. . . are you going to rely on the fact that your families will stay with you the next 3 months? What is someone finds care & leaves in 2-3 weeks? I personally think a 2-4 week notice is plenty of notice. Not to mention it may be uncomfortable continuing care for the next 3 months & awkward. The parents will know you want to be done & may not have faith in you to do a good job/be motivated enough to work with their kids. I personally would not give notice 3 months in advance. Best wishes with whatever you decide!
godiva83 11:00 AM 03-31-2011
GOod luck, I will be passing only good vibes your way! They can't get mad or upset you have given more than ample time and gone a step further to provide numbers of other providers! You need to do what is best for you and your family.
Cheers
cheerfuldom 11:01 AM 03-31-2011
Do whatever you need to do. The fact that you need your mom there for moral support shows that you are probably too sweet to be working in-home daycare anyway. I am not saying that to be mean, just that I hope you find peace in your future and wish you the best. Its a tough job. There are many times where I am tempted to do the same thing. I totally would if we could afford it!
Live and Learn 11:07 AM 03-31-2011
Good luck and I agree with previous posters.
3 months is too long a notice.....don't be surprised if they leave sooner.
.....but maybe that is what you really want?

.....7 year itch?....I am going to finish up the school year and then be done myself......been doing this for seven years too!..........I usually close for the summer anyhow so I will give notice towards the end of the school year.
nannyde 11:22 AM 03-31-2011
Three months notice is about 2.5 months too long. Give two weeks or whatever number of weeks you expect them to give you notice.
Beigh4 11:52 AM 04-05-2011
Thanks everyone for the support! All of my parents were really nice when they received their notice. 3 months is too long for some but for me I really wanted to give them plenty of notice. Lucky for me it is ok if some of them leave earlier. I hope they can all find care soon. I love them all but knew it was time. I will still be caring for my nieces and nephew for extra cash and can take them anywhere. My DD's love them! (cousins!) I am too much of a giver and have a hard time sticking to my policies. This is a big no no in the childcare industry. So my advice to new comers. Don't give in. Stick to your policies each and every time. Is a parent is really making you upset immediately communicate what YOU want! Most parents are great. But each year I did this I had 1 of those crazy moms that just didn't get it... The stress took a huge tole on on my body! Best of luck to all of you! I will continue this sight incase I might be able to help anyone through rough times!

momofsix 12:47 PM 04-05-2011
Best wishes for your future life w/o daycare! Enjoy your time with your daughters!!!
treehugger82 01:08 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by Beigh4:
Thanks everyone for the support! All of my parents were really nice when they received their notice. 3 months is too long for some but for me I really wanted to give them plenty of notice. Lucky for me it is ok if some of them leave earlier. I hope they can all find care soon. I love them all but knew it was time. I will still be caring for my nieces and nephew for extra cash and can take them anywhere. My DD's love them! (cousins!) I am too much of a giver and have a hard time sticking to my policies. This is a big no no in the childcare industry. So my advice to new comers. Don't give in. Stick to your policies each and every time. Is a parent is really making you upset immediately communicate what YOU want! Most parents are great. But each year I did this I had 1 of those crazy moms that just didn't get it... The stress took a huge tole on on my body! Best of luck to all of you! I will continue this sight incase I might be able to help anyone through rough times!
Sounds like you made the right decision for you and your family. Congratulations
mickey2 03:58 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Three months notice is about 2.5 months too long. Give two weeks or whatever number of weeks you expect them to give you notice.

I agree with this!
squareone 04:19 PM 04-05-2011
You will never regret decisions made in the best interest of your children. Glad to hear that your families received the news well. Wishing you all the best.
Tags:closing daycare, notice of closure, two week notice
Reply Up