Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quitting And Going To Work Weekends!!
broncomom1973 01:35 PM 09-21-2011
I am done. I have decided that 2-1/2 years is enough for me. I have so much respect for those of you who have done this for soooo long. I guess I thought that as my dck's got older it would get easier but it's getting worse. There is total disregard of rules and discipline does nothing because once they leave here they are able to go home and do whatever they want and revert back to their bad behavior. It is the whole entitlement thing that goes on these days I guess. I got a call earlier today to work weekends as an LPN at an assisted living and I will make in 8 days per month the same as I make doing daycare 20 days/month. I wont be "grounded" to my home. I will be able to pick up my 1st grader from school and take her and my other 2 children to the park if and when I want. I can take my younger two to story time at the library. I can do some of the activities with them through the rec center that I could never do before because they are all scheduled during the day. I will be able to go upstairs or downstairs and put clothes away or pick up or exercise. I can take down all of these ridiculous gates that are EVERYWHERE in my house. I wont have to worry that I have something out of place if licensing were to come (always worried about leaving shampoo and conditioner out). So, why as I write this am I worried about making the right choice, lol. Well, I guess knowing that I will be tied down every weekend kind of sucks, but at least I will be free all week to enjoy my own kiddos. I know it's the right thing to do, but I am worried to tell the parents and it will be a little sad (not too much) to see the kids go. Anyway, I just needed to get it out. Wish me luck
AmandasFCC 01:40 PM 09-21-2011
Good luck and congratulations
mom2many 01:44 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by broncomom1973:
I am done. I have decided that 2-1/2 years is enough for me. I have so much respect for those of you who have done this for long. I guess I thought that as my dck's got older it would get easier but it's getting worse. There is total disregard of rules and discipline does nothing because once they leave here they are able to go home and do whatever they want and revert back to their bad behavior. It is the whole entitlement thing that goes on these days I guess. I got a call earlier today to work weekends as an LPN at an assisted living and I will make in 8 days per month the same as I make doing daycare 20 days/month. I wont be "grounded" to my home. I will be able to pick up my 1st grader from school and take her and my other 2 children to the park if and when I want. I can take my younger two to story time at the library. I can do some of the activities with them through the rec center that I could never do before because they are all scheduled during the day. I will be able to go upstairs or downstairs and put clothes away or pick up or exercise. I can take down all fo these ridiculous gates that are EVERYWHERE in my house. I wont have to worry that I have something out of place if licensing were to come (always worried about leaving shampoo and conditioner out). So, why as I write this am I worried about making the right choice, lol. Well, I guess knowing that I will be tied down every weekend kind of sucks, but at least I will be free all week to enjoy my own kiddos. I know it's the right thing to do, but I am worried to tell the parents and it will be a little sad (not too much) to see the kids go. Anyway, I just needed to get it out. Wish me luck
Best of luck to you! Sounds like it'll be a good choice for you and your family! This job is not for everyone and having 5 days a week to spend with your own kids will be great!
MsMe 01:45 PM 09-21-2011
Good for you. I am also done. I however can not leave untill Demeber. After today I wonder if I am going to make it that long.

I have been in daycare for 7 years and I am finished. I think this is a job that you just KNOW when you are finished. I have had small burn outs before but they always got better.....this one just got worse and worse untill I KNEW I was done. I also think this a job where you have to love what you do, unlike sitting in an office hating your job, we are interacting with kids and parents and let me tell you it is hard to fake it once you lose it

Unliek you I don't have anything lined up and that makes me really nervous (but not enough to change my mind ! That tell you something, huh?) I will start looking first thing in November and hope to have the daycare sompletly in my past by Dec 31.

Good luck to you. Please come back and let us know how you are doing!!!
Kaddidle Care 02:06 PM 09-21-2011
Best wishes Broncomom!

I'm sure all of your DC Parents will be totally understanding. (yeah.. right!)
logged out 02:22 PM 09-21-2011
I wish you truly the best of luck. I have been doing this over 7 years and I KNOW that I am done. I just do not know what to do or where to go to fix it. I hope you enjoy every minute with your family
boysx5 03:11 PM 09-21-2011
good luck yes somedays this job can get to you
LittleD 03:37 PM 09-21-2011
WOW! That's awesome! I don't care what 9-5 job you have, the one that you were offered is great! Who wouldn't want to work less hours for the same pay? You just tell those parents "So sorry, an amazing opportunity for me and my family came up and I would have to be insane not to take it! Best of luck to you and your family!"
And make sure they are paid up before you tell them
MNMum 03:45 PM 09-21-2011
Ironically, I've been working everyother weekend for the past 10 years and I am so done with that! I'm just transitioning to daycare so I can work when everyone else does and "play" on my weekends. Right now I'm doing both. Not fun.
broncomom1973 03:53 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by LittleD:
WOW! That's awesome! I don't care what 9-5 job you have, the one that you were offered is great! Who wouldn't want to work less hours for the same pay? You just tell those parents "So sorry, an amazing opportunity for me and my family came up and I would have to be insane not to take it! Best of luck to you and your family!"
And make sure they are paid up before you tell them
Ha, ha, I was thinking to myself today that I better wait until I get paid by one particular family. They pay monthly so I will be giving them an invoice in a little over a week. I will wait until then because I know I wont get paid otherwise. I will not leave them high and dry though. I will tell my families that I will do daycare for them (and work weekends) until they find a new daycare as long as it is a reasonable amount of time (6-8 weeks). I dont want to put any of them in a bind.

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it.
broncomom1973 03:56 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by MNMum:
Ironically, I've been working everyother weekend for the past 10 years and I am so done with that! I'm just transitioning to daycare so I can work when everyone else does and "play" on my weekends. Right now I'm doing both. Not fun.

I only plan on doing the weekend thing for maybe 2 years until my youngest goes to kindergarten. At that point, I should be done with my HIT degree and will hopefully find an 8-5 pm job with no weekends. Good luck to you, I hope you enjoy your weekends.
Unregistered 04:00 PM 09-21-2011
I applaud you for knowing when enough is enough! And DEFINITELY make sure they are paid up and hopefully no one tries to cheat you! I say a lot of the ways these kids are being brought up at home does make it 10 times harder for us to do our job! Best of look to you and I moght not be too far behind!!!
jen 04:01 PM 09-21-2011
That's awesome! I recently stopped doing daycare in favor of working outside the house and I love it. Some days are challenging, but I get to leave work at work and come home.
Unregistered 04:13 PM 09-21-2011
I am done. I have decided that 2-1/2 years is enough for me. I have so much respect for those of you who have done this for soooo long. I guess I thought that as my dck's got older it would get easier but it's getting worse. There is total disregard of rules and discipline does nothing because once they leave here they are able to go home and do whatever they want and revert back to their bad behavior. It is the whole entitlement thing that goes on these days I guess. I got a call earlier today to work weekends as an LPN at an assisted living and I will make in 8 days per month the same as I make doing daycare 20 days/month. I wont be "grounded" to my home. I will be able to pick up my 1st grader from school and take her and my other 2 children to the park if and when I want. I can take my younger two to story time at the library. I can do some of the activities with them through the rec center that I could never do before because they are all scheduled during the day. I will be able to go upstairs or downstairs and put clothes away or pick up or exercise. I can take down all of these ridiculous gates that are EVERYWHERE in my house. I wont have to worry that I have something out of place if licensing were to come (always worried about leaving shampoo and conditioner out). So, why as I write this am I worried about making the right choice, lol. Well, I guess knowing that I will be tied down every weekend kind of sucks, but at least I will be free all week to enjoy my own kiddos. I know it's the right thing to do, but I am worried to tell the parents and it will be a little sad (not too much) to see the kids go. Anyway, I just needed to get it out. Wish me luck
Sounds like you are moving on and are happy about it . I have been doing daycare for 10 years and my last day is January 13th I can not wait Im closing due to having our forth child and just wanted to be with my kids and no one elses I plan to return to school then work outside of the home when baby #4 starts full day pre k I have a good 5 years before that but I will enjoy just being a SAHM and no more daycare.
cheerfuldom 07:37 PM 09-21-2011
sounds like a great choice for you! please, for your own sanity, put a concrete time limit that is reasonable for the transition. If you offer 6 to 8 weeks of childcare while doing your weekend job then you might be stuck with guilt trips of them wanting even more time than that. I would never offer more than four weeks tops.
Kaddidle Care 04:38 AM 09-22-2011
I agree with this - but I would give them 2 weeks notice just like they are required to give you. 2 weeks is plenty of time to find another provider. If someone is still without a provider after the 2, let them address it to you at that time.

If you give them 6-8 weeks you will be working 7 days a week for 6-8 weeks.
MommyMuffin 05:40 AM 09-22-2011
I only plan on doing the weekend thing for maybe 2 years until my youngest goes to kindergarten. At that point, I should be done with my HIT degree and will hopefully find an 8-5 pm job with no weekends. Good luck to you, I hope you enjoy your weekends.
Congrats to you! I am looking into doing the same. What is HIT?
morgan24 05:44 AM 09-22-2011
Good Luck. This job is not for everybody and if your not happy you are doing the right thing for yourself and family. I would give them 2 weeks because if your not happy why make yourself miserable for 6-8 weeks.
SilverSabre25 05:57 AM 09-22-2011
Hey, congratulations! I think that it is an awesome opportunity and a great choice! If you can make as much in 8 days as you can in 20--well, one would have to be an idiot to not take that opportunity with little more than a backwards glance! I would happily do *just about* anything if it meant working that much less. Good luck, and pop back in here sometime to let us know how it's going!
beachgrl 06:06 AM 09-22-2011
Good luck with your new job and glad that it will free up your time to do things with your kids during the week. My son is in high school so I don't have much that goes on during the day for him anymore, most of his stuff is after school thankfully. My stepson who is 5 is with his mom during the week and his dad usually tries to go to school stuff if he is able (not a school day or where he absolutely has to sleep for work) and we try to do our stuff on weekends when we can.

I got into this so I wouldn't have to spend endless time in training past my normal day as a teacher, endless time on lesson planning and buying things for my lessons and class that the school sure wouldn't or couldn't pay for and many other reasons most of which revolved around the stress of the school system and not the kids. I love working with the younger kids and hate changing classrooms and moving my stuff every year to somewhere else in the same school or another school altogether. You never know where you are going to be, who your ta is going to be and they wait until the last possible minute to tell you. So I am hoping this will be a less stressful and more fun and more about the kids job than I had before but will allow me to keep working from home....if I don't get my enrollment up I am going to have to try to find something which will prolly be a daycare job making way less until I can get a teaching job again, ugh.

Good luck, you have to do what you feel is right for your family and what makes you feel better...and I am all about working less hours for the same amount lol!
broncomom1973 06:13 AM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Congrats to you! I am looking into doing the same. What is HIT?
HIT is Health Information Technology. I want to do medical coding but am going for the degree rather than the certificate. I am only part-time so it will take me a couple more years, lol.
Tags:close daycare, closing daycare
Reply Up