Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing My Daycare
Unregistered 01:47 PM 01-19-2013
I started a daycare last spring and was really excited about it. However I quickly found that it just isn't for me. I thought I'd give it awhile and see if I could make it work but I'm feeling very depressed lately and I need adult interaction. I found myself scouring the area for jobs because I just do not enjoy doing daycare. Honestly, the kids drive me nuts. And it isn't even something they're doing that is wrong, it's that this just isn't the job for me. So I got a call last Thursday for a job interview on monday that looks extremely promising. I haven't said anything to the daycare families yet because I'm a big chicken. I hate confrontation more than anything. I was thinking about sending an email this weekend just to give a heads up that I've started applying for jobs so they can start looking for a new provider. I just feel terrible because I don't hate the families or the kids, but I simply cannot do this job anymore. I know if I tried to say something in person I'd probably start crying and flub my words and sound unprofessional. So is an email tacky? And does anyone have any help with wording? TIA.
NeedaVaca 04:43 PM 01-19-2013
What if you don't get this job? (Hopefully you do!!) If you tell the parents now and they all find new care in the next couple of weeks but you don't have a job will you be ok financially?
momofboys 06:31 PM 01-19-2013
I would not tell families until u accept a job offer. Good luck!
Starburst 10:04 PM 01-19-2013
Working with kids (especially as a primary supervisor) isn't for everyone. You gave it the old college try and you found out it just didn't suit you- don't beat yourself up for it! Lots of people think because they like their friend's kids or have kids that they want to work with kids- but few have the patience for other people's kids. Luckly you came to that conclusion now instead of after 5 years when it could lead to unnessicary stress and injury (such as back problems- a very common issue when working with younger children).

But just because you don't like working directly WITH kids doesn't mean you can't work FOR kids- such as being a social worker, toy manufactorers, or a program director/administrator.

Anyway, as for what to do about the parents you want to make sure to give them enough time to look for other child care arrangements (about 2-4 weeks) but also make sure you get a solid job offer before you tell them. I wouldn't do E-mail because some parents get lots of junk mail and just ignore it or do not check it often. When the time comes if you have a hard time telling them in person out of fear of not sounding professional or offending them you can possibly telling them on the phone or send a note home for every parent something like:

"Dear DCF*
While it has been a great pleasure to work with all of you and your children, it is with my deepest condolences that I must tell you that I have decided to close my child care business for personal reasons. I will no longer be able to provide child care services for your children as of ***day, xx-xx-2013.

I am so sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you and your family. I will be more than happy to be a reference for your next child care provider. I wish you all well and once again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Sincerely, X X (signature)"
*Personalize it with every family such as "Smith Family" or just "Dear Daycare Families"

If they ask you in person why you can tell them that right now you need to do what is best for you (and your family) and being a child care provider is not it. If you want you can even tell them that you relize this is no longer the career path you want to persue and leave it at that. If you do know any other providers who have open spots you can also offer to help them look for another child care that will suit their needs or put in a good word to other providers- but remember it is NOT your responsiblity to do that and you are not obligated to do it.

But if you need the income to hold you over until you do get another job, wait until you are certain- just try to do it as soon as possible and with at least two weeks (or whatever it says in your contract). Good luck with your new career!
Unregistered 06:04 AM 01-20-2013
Thank you for the replies. I am going to wait until after my interview tomorrow to say anything, depending on how it goes. I've worked for this company before and left on great terms and I feel(hope) I have a great shot at it. Fingers crossed!! I have put in applications a couple other places as well just in case. I am just so done doing daycare.
Abigail 12:54 AM 01-21-2013
How many daycare families do you care for right now? I can tell you'll be happy to move on. I love having my daycare, but I like it more because I have enough children to have a helper and it's much much nicer having some shared responsibility but the business side of it is all so time consuming. I hope to get back to spending more time with the kids after maternity leave and have the business side of paperwork and everything over with.
Unregistered 05:28 AM 01-21-2013
I have one child that comes full time and one that comes two days a week.
Tags:closing daycare
Reply Up