Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD Poop Issue
Puddleduck 09:05 AM 12-21-2016
Hello you lovely providers, you. I was hoping to get some support/ideas on an issue that's progressively getting harder with one of my dcks. DCB is 3yrs and has had chronic constipation for over a year. He's on a special powder to help but it isn't making much difference these days. He poops once every 3 days and when he does it takes hours to come out. He screams in severe pain and cannot participate while this is happening. Because the parents have already taken him to the doctor and he does have medication for it, I'm hesitant to send him home when this is happening, however, he needs A LOT of one on one care during the poop period. If you would suggest sending him home, how long would you give him before making the call? 1 hour? 3? If you have any ideas on how to make these bowel movements more bearable I'd love to hear any suggestions! Thank you very much.
Unregistered 10:05 AM 12-21-2016
Magnesium citrate supplements!
childcaremom 10:09 AM 12-21-2016
I would call after 30 minutes of discomfort.

Maybe another doctor's visit is in order?
Play Care 10:25 AM 12-21-2016
I have had this a couple time and I did call for pick up. My contract states that a child must be able to fully participate in our day. A child who is screaming or crying in agony is not participating. I also think this should be put back on the parents.

My older child has constipation issues and it is something that needs constant management. You can damage the bowel with too many large BM's.
daycarediva 11:36 AM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I would call after 30 minutes of discomfort.

Maybe another doctor's visit is in order?
This. He needs to go back to the doctors. He needs to KEEP going back until they find a solution that works. I can't believe the parents are ok with him screaming in agony for hours every few days. I would not be.
Puddleduck 11:44 AM 12-21-2016
It's breaking my heart.
Controlled Chaos 01:07 PM 12-21-2016
I agree with the PPs, call for pick up after 30 min. I would give parents a heads up with a reminder that children need to be able to participate in order to attend. If dcb is having a difficult BM and needs one on one, they need to pick him up and give him that one on one attention.

They definitely need to take him back to the doctor. Poor thing
daycare 01:25 PM 12-21-2016
Ugh... I feel you.

I have 3 kids with this same issue. they all eat so horribly.

Here is my policy on this:

At no time can any ONE child's needs outweigh or jeopardize the care of the other children. If your child is experiencing any issues that requires one on one care that interferes with our ability to care for others, you will be called to pick up.

I allow 3-45 min and then I call for pick up regarding these situations.

I agree with others, child needs to go back to doctors and perhaps see a nutritionist too.
Ariana 11:28 AM 12-22-2016
I would be letting the parents know that this situation needs to be imporved by X date for care to continue. Tell them that from now he will be going home during these episodes as it is disrupting to the other children. Tell them that you anxiously await their care plan
childcaremom 11:34 AM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by Puddleduck:
It's breaking my heart.
Yeah, it's awful. I had issues with my dd (preemie) for a while. Heartbreaking and helpless was how I felt when she was trying to go.

This needs to be put back on the parents so that they realize just how much discomfort their child is in. They need to pick up each and every time so they realize that this needs to get dealt with now.

Poor little guy (and poor you).
daycare 11:57 AM 12-22-2016
just for a little giggle. I told my staff that I was going to put constipation coach on my resume of skills. lol

i do have to sit there with the kids, hold their hand, ok take a deep breath and push....It is sad when I am dealing with it, but we all giggled when I said I was going to add it to my resume....
Puddleduck 05:04 AM 12-23-2016
Response from parent- They are "too busy" to go back to the doctor. I'm seriously unimpressed. Will be calling for pick up after half an hour.
Ariana 07:23 AM 12-23-2016
Response from parent- They are "too busy" to go back to the doctor. I'm seriously unimpressed. Will be calling for pick up after half an hour.
This was the response I got from a family when I suggested they get their kid checked for allergies. She was miserbale at my house but hey it was tooooo inconvenient for them
childcaremom 09:10 AM 12-23-2016
Wow.

This needs to be put back on the parents each and every time. Their son is suffering needlessly.

I might even go so far as after x amount of times (I would do 2 or 3) that you won't accept him back into care without a plan from the doctor and or diagnosis. I wouldn't deal with this long term (for the child's sake).
laundrymom 09:21 AM 12-23-2016
Too busy for medical care?
Are you freaking kidding me?
I'd call at the first sign. And if he went before they picked up let them know at pickup.
My daughter had trouble going when she was small and I can't imagine not being there w her. They're in pain and when that happens they need a parent.
I think it's ridiculous that they don't have time for his needs.
Mama2many 08:11 PM 12-27-2016
My son went through a bout of constipation for about 6 months when he was 3. After a week of solid BMs that were causing hairline fissures I decided to make him soft poop smoothies, these he ate every day after breakfast and it made a world of difference.
2 years after this I had a daycare boy who had issues: HUGE ISSUES. This poor kid was tiny except his abdomen which was always distended and bloated looking and he constantly LEAKED this horrible smelling poop liquid... ALL DAY LONG!!
His mom was the same as the above mentioned parents and just didn't want to deal with it but I finally convinced her to take him to the doctor who recommended a daily miralax and weekly suppository laxative to make him go. I finally asked her if I could make him this smoothie to try and she agreed and it helped but there were way more issues than just normal constipation.

This was the smoothie: 1 banana, 1 pear, 3 prunes and an individual container of vanilla yogurt. I also added a squirt of ready whip to the top with a cherry to make it more appealing
Reply Up