Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Advice

Dcm said she she saw milk in babies hair, said she doesn't want me giving her 5 month old a bottle in crib anymore bc it gives him gas...am I wrong for being irritated?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:58 AM
Daycare.com Member

I think giving milk in a crib is a no-no anyway. I would be annoyed if you were feeding my child in a crib I might pull over it.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core12 View Post
Dcm said she she saw milk in babies hair, said she doesn't want me giving her 5 month old a bottle in crib anymore bc it gives him gas...am I wrong for being irritated?
It's not against the law to give a bottle in a crib here but it's definitely not considered best practice.

It causes issues with tooth decay and it creates a habit of "needing" something in order to go to sleep.

A 5 month old definitely needs to be burped after drinking so I can see how it causes gas. Baby should be held when fed, burped and then laid down to nap.

I think you need to discuss methods and routines in regards to HOW a parent puts their child to bed. If a child requires a bottle or some other type of soothing in order to fall asleep, it needs to be discussed prior to enrollment so that you and the parent are on the same page.

Being on the same page does not mean the parent gets to call the shots but it does give you insight as to what a child needs in order to nap/sleep successfully in your care.

If you are unable to replicate a parent's routine/methods (due to licensing rules and/or personal beliefs) then the family is not a good fit for your program. If a parent has a routine or method of putting their child down for a nap and it falls within your licensing rules and personal beliefs than napping should be a breeze since you and parent are providing the child with similar styles of caregiving.

HTH
Old 11-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I would be holding a 5 month old to give a bottle. Once they get older and can sit in an incline chair and hold their own, I let them self feed, but still with supervision. This usually happens around 7-9 months, but every baby is different.

Here are some reasons I don't give bottles in bed:

1. I don't want them to mix feeding and sleep time. They are two separate activities and I want to keep them that way.

2. It is bad for teeth and imo, leads to weight issues in some kids. They are eating while almost sleeping so they don't stop when full. TI want them awake and alert to eat so they recognize those signs.

3. Safety! A five month old could aspirate milk and choke, so no matter if you are feeding liquids or solids, all feedings of every child should be supervised.

4. They need to be burped and also holding them can be a great bonding experience!
It is okay to be irritated, but I would just try to figure out a solution and work with mom to find a better way.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Thanks everyone!!!

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot!!!
I just want to mention too that it IS hard when you are just starting out.... you learn ALOT the first couple years you are in this business and truth be told, you never really stop learning... but I wanted to make sure you stick around here...

You can learn alot..even from posters that might jump all over you and be harsh or critical in their responses... reading other's and their intent is difficult too, especially when we don't "hear" the tone of what they are saying.

Anyways, some will always across harsh and some will always be supportive and friendly but that is the nature of work life any where you work so my advice as far as being a forum member.... Don't take anything personal, take the advice that works for you and leave the rest....

This place literally IS the ultimate resource for providers!

We are all on the same journey just at different points along the way so.... learn something new every day and don't be afraid to share, ask, vent or just chit-chat!!
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Unregistered

Minnesota makes it simple: it's against the law to have anything in the crib besides a tight sheet and an unattached pacifier. $200 for each occurrence, which means if you have a bottle, a toy and a lovie you are dinged x3.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

The state here will not allow providers to lay babies down with bottle any place or any time.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I just want to mention too that it IS hard when you are just starting out.... you learn ALOT the first couple years you are in this business and truth be told, you never really stop learning... but I wanted to make sure you stick around here...

You can learn alot..even from posters that might jump all over you and be harsh or critical in their responses... reading other's and their intent is difficult too, especially when we don't "hear" the tone of what they are saying.

Anyways, some will always across harsh and some will always be supportive and friendly but that is the nature of work life any where you work so my advice as far as being a forum member.... Don't take anything personal, take the advice that works for you and leave the rest....

This place literally IS the ultimate resource for providers!

We are all on the same journey just at different points along the way so.... learn something new every day and don't be afraid to share, ask, vent or just chit-chat!!
I can definitely come across as short or harsh sometimes. Usually it's just because I don't have the time to make long, flowing statements during the work day. I'm an entirely different animal in person

I don't even post much on the regular forum thread, just off topics. It's nice to feel like you have coworkers you can "talk" to!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:10 PM
Daycare.com Member

It is against the regulations here in Georgia as well. I hold the 5-month-old I keep for all feedings. The 7-month-old I hold her for about 1/2 as she is able to hold it herself while sitting up.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:28 AM
Childcare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I can definitely come across as short or harsh sometimes. Usually it's just because I don't have the time to make long, flowing statements during the work day. I'm an entirely different animal in person

I don't even post much on the regular forum thread, just off topics. It's nice to feel like you have coworkers you can "talk" to!
I don't post much for fear of being misunderstood
Old 12-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thank-you!!!