Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bottles vs Food
Core12 03:15 PM 12-12-2016
Today, I had a parent ask me if I was feeding her baby milk before food or afterwards. I told her I fed her baby a bottle on demand and fed him food at lunch. He is 10 months old. Each day she brings 5 bottles of 4 oz breast milk and he finishes all of the milk and barely eats.
The mother said her old daycare fed him almost all of his food and fed him 3 bottles ...which is what she wants bc she is having trouble pumping.
She also said this in front of another parent.
happymom 03:26 PM 12-12-2016
How long is he in your care for? I agree with her, that is a lot of breastmilk for one day unless you have him for like 12+ hours.

I would have a hard time producing that amount of milk as well.
midaycare 04:04 PM 12-12-2016
I generally serve one meal (lunch) for infants, starting at 6-8 months. Most take food at 6 months. And I buy the pouches because I really don't have time for anything else. So one pouch.

Around 10-12 months, babies eat 1.5 - 2 pouches with me. I start a breakfast one, whatever time that may be. It makes (for me) the switch to actual food easier.
laundrymom 05:40 PM 12-12-2016
Here they start eating at about 6mo w the big kids and by about 11 mo they get all
Milk in a sippee w meals and are off bottles by 12 at most.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:32 PM 12-12-2016
Originally Posted by Core12:
Today, I had a parent ask me if I was feeding her baby milk before food or afterwards. I told her I fed her baby a bottle on demand and fed him food at lunch. He is 10 months old. Each day she brings 5 bottles of 4 oz breast milk and he finishes all of the milk and barely eats.
The mother said her old daycare fed him almost all of his food and fed him 3 bottles ...which is what she wants bc she is having trouble pumping.
Until they are eating solids as their main source of nutrition (12+ months), i feed bottle first and food is for fun. how long of a day is he with you? i would expect him to be eating 3-4 bottles a day, depending, but more ounces in each bottle if he has a good appetite, versis 5 smaller bottles.
LysesKids 08:26 PM 12-12-2016
Originally Posted by Core12:
I do infants only & that's a lot of milk for 10 months... I feed first then give a bottle; and yes, they get snacks too... by 12 months they eat at set meal & snack times and they drink from sippies here. It's expected that by a year old they start eating on a regular schedule... I have a child here now ( 11 months) that would starve if he had to depend on moms pumping ( she can't keep up); he eats everything in site lol. I also never do pouch food
Play Care 03:16 AM 12-13-2016
Are you on the Food Program?
At 10 months he would be eating both breakfast and lunch here as well as a snack. Actual food.
Per food program regs, at both meals he would be offered a 6 oz bottle with each meal, as well as a 4 oz bottle with snack. I feed the bottle after they eat the food.
I will not do pouches and by 10 months he would be getting mainly appropriately sized/textured fingers foods with some purees (if necessary)
I've never bought the "food before 1 is just for fun" line and due to having a couple of infants in my care did some more research, which confirmed my thoughts.

As for mom mentioning it in front of another parent, that happens. No big deal. You didn't do anything "wrong." If you don't feel comfortable with it you can come up with some lines to use when parents try to "conference" you at bad times. "Susie, I want to discuss this further when I have a spare moment. Can you call me at 6:00? Thanks!"
Blackcat31 05:54 AM 12-13-2016
http://www.foodprogramwi.org/pdfs/me...quirements.pdf
Blackcat31 05:55 AM 12-13-2016

mommyneedsadayoff 06:07 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Are you on the Food Program?
At 10 months he would be eating both breakfast and lunch here as well as a snack. Actual food.
Per food program regs, at both meals he would be offered a 6 oz bottle with each meal, as well as a 4 oz bottle with snack. I feed the bottle after they eat the food.
I will not do pouches and by 10 months he would be getting mainly appropriately sized/textured fingers foods with some purees (if necessary)
I've never bought the "food before 1 is just for fun" line and due to having a couple of infants in my care did some more research, which confirmed my thoughts.

As for mom mentioning it in front of another parent, that happens. No big deal. You didn't do anything "wrong." If you don't feel comfortable with it you can come up with some lines to use when parents try to "conference" you at bad times. "Susie, I want to discuss this further when I have a spare moment. Can you call me at 6:00? Thanks!"
Every baby is different, but until they are getting the majority of their nutrition from the food, I give bottle first. There is no magic age limit, but I use 12 months as a guide for parents so they know when I will begin to transition away from a bottle. Some are 11 months and eating food from the table and drink from a sippy cup, some are closer to 14 months. But I still use "food is for fun before one" because many parents want to start solids at 4-6 months and they want their baby eating a lot and skimping on the bottle to save money or breastmilk and I won't play that game. By 10 months, they are eating with the group at meal times, but if they are showing little interest in food, I make sure they are still getting the needed calories from the bottle.

Not sure of the hours this baby is in care, but it sounds like he is probably getting a bottle every 2-2.5 hours, which is too short in between feeds at this age, imo. Rather than giving that 2nd and 4th bottle, maybe you could offer food for those meals instead with a top off of milk if needed.
jenboo 07:41 AM 12-13-2016
Bottles every 3-4 hrs and meals at all of our meal times. They eat what the other kids are eating
Play Care 08:14 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Every baby is different, but until they are getting the majority of their nutrition from the food, I give bottle first. There is no magic age limit, but I use 12 months as a guide for parents so they know when I will begin to transition away from a bottle. Some are 11 months and eating food from the table and drink from a sippy cup, some are closer to 14 months. But I still use "food is for fun before one" because many parents want to start solids at 4-6 months and they want their baby eating a lot and skimping on the bottle to save money or breastmilk and I won't play that game. By 10 months, they are eating with the group at meal times, but if they are showing little interest in food, I make sure they are still getting the needed calories from the bottle.
I have the opposite issue. I have parents who think BM is all they really need until 12 months. Then they are upset because they can't keep up with a 10 months old caloric needs. Well, that's because he needs some actual food. I'm also referring to the studies showing the "magic window" age of 5-8 months for introducing solids being helpful with decreasing food allergies.
cassiesue 08:38 AM 12-13-2016
I have 2 infants as well. One is 6-months-old and the other is 8-months-old. Neither of their parents have an interest in feeding their babies any food yet.

However, I have let them know that I do feed them here. Both babies eat whatever food I puree down for them. I also let them eat the baby rice cake things and other finger foods. I feed first, then bottle. Both babies are teething now. I freeze fruit for them and put in the baby net things for them to gum on also. I will admit to using the organic pouches when I am very busy. I just send the parent a list of what foods the baby has been introduced to.

Apparently my babies drink far more formula than average. The 8-month-old drinks 3 8 ounces bottles in the 10-11 hours she is here and would drink more if I let her. The 6-month-old drinks about 3 6 ounce bottles in the 7 hours she is here.
happymom 08:43 AM 12-13-2016
Definitely begin offering this baby table foods at meal and snack times along with the other children.

The "food before 1 is just for fun" saying comes from the idea that children will begin eating solids on their own timeline. There is no need to stress if a 6 or 8 month old doesn't like/or isn't eating much.

What blackcat posted is a great guideline, and it makes the transition from bottle to table foods easy. I would absolutely be listening to this mother's concerns and change the way you are feeding her child.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:03 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have the opposite issue. I have parents who think BM is all they really need until 12 months. Then they are upset because they can't keep up with a 10 months old caloric needs. Well, that's because he needs some actual food. I'm also referring to the studies showing the "magic window" age of 5-8 months for introducing solids being helpful with decreasing food allergies.
Lol isnt it funny how different parents can be?! Half my policies are bc there is always that one parent who goes to the extreme! Most are great, but there is always one it seems
midaycare 09:15 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Lol isnt it funny how different parents can be?! Half my policies are bc there is always that one parent who goes to the extreme! Most are great, but there is always one it seems
That is one of the reasons why I do pouches. So excited dcf's will want me to make hm baby food, all organic, starting at 5 months. Some want hot dogs served at 8 months. So I just say, ""pouches, pouches for everyone!" Until about 10 months.
Blackcat31 09:19 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
That is one of the reasons why I do pouches. So excited dcf's will want me to make hm baby food, all organic, starting at 5 months. Some want hot dogs served at 8 months. So I just say, ""pouches, pouches for everyone!" Until about 10 months.
Do you transition them to being spoon fed at 10 months then or.... ?

Curious as I've had several parents mention using pouches but in most of their cases, it's due to traveling or being on the go or sometimes it's just laziness but I am curious about them. They just seem weird.
happymom 09:25 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Curious as I've had several parents mention using pouches but in most of their cases, it's due to traveling or being on the go or sometimes it's just laziness but I am curious about them. They just seem weird.
For me, pouches are absolutely for convenience and laziness. If baby is hungry and I am beginning to cook a meal, I stick him in his high chair with a pouch. He goes to town, doesn't make a mess and he's not under my feet

He still eats dinner when I serve it. Sucking food from a pouch doesn't help him learn any new skills the way eating table foods or using a spoon does, so it is advised (by my pediatrician) to not rely on just pouches for feeding an infant.
Blackcat31 09:30 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
For me, pouches are absolutely for convenience and laziness. If baby is hungry and I am beginning to cook a meal, I stick him in his high chair with a pouch. He goes to town, doesn't make a mess and he's not under my feet

He still eats dinner when I serve it. Sucking food from a pouch doesn't help him learn any new skills the way eating table foods or using a spoon does, so it is advised (by my pediatrician) to not rely on just pouches for feeding an infant.
Thank you! Those are my thoughts too... I can totally see and rationalize the ease of use BUUUUUTTT as a provider I don't think I could/would use them.

I wonder how the food program feels about them or even my QRIS program? Considering everything needs to satisfy some sort of goal and my own laziness is not even a consideration...
midaycare 10:09 AM 12-13-2016
Do you transition them to being spoon fed at 10 months then or.... ?

I think we're thinking of different things. Maybe? I spoon feed these to babies. I would never throw a pouch a baby and be like, "Have at it!" HAHAHA, I can't imagine, but I'm getting a good laugh out of the visual. It's baby food, it just comes in a pouch instead of a jar.

If we are thinking of the same thing, Ive7never had a baby be able to suck one of those things down.

The 6 month old I have right now I use the baby food pouches with and spoon feed, and she is already trying to take the spoon from me and feed herself.

When I said I don't have time I meant I don't have time to cook 2 completely different meals, puree baby food, no thanks. The pouches already have that done for me, all organic ingredients, no added crap.

When the baby is about 10 months we transition off completely "smooth" aka "pouch" food and go to big kid food.

I have a big fear of babies choking. It definitely shows, I'm sure.
midaycare 10:12 AM 12-13-2016

How does your baby suck right from the pouch? How old is this baby? Seriously, the thought never occurred to me. I just take it, put it on a spoon and feed.
Blackcat31 10:13 AM 12-13-2016
I think we're thinking of different things. Maybe? I spoon feed these to babies. I would never throw a pouch a baby and be like, "Have at it!" HAHAHA, I can't imagine, but I'm getting a good laugh out of the visual. It's baby food, it just comes in a pouch instead of a jar.

If we are thinking of the same thing, Ive7never had a baby be able to suck one of those things down.

The 6 month old I have right now I use the baby food pouches with and spoon feed, and she is already trying to take the spoon from me and feed herself.

When I said I don't have time I meant I don't have time to cook 2 completely different meals, puree baby food, no thanks. The pouches already have that done for me, all organic ingredients, no added crap.

When the baby is about 10 months we transition off completely "smooth" aka "pouch" food and go to big kid food.

I have a big fear of babies choking. It definitely shows, I'm sure.
Yes! talking about the same thing but not same use.

My daycare parents that use them do exactly as you said.....toss one to baby and let them just suck it down.

I see the value of spoon use verses convenience for me but as a parent, I get it too.
midaycare 10:17 AM 12-13-2016
Yes! talking about the same thing but not same use.

My daycare parents that use them do exactly as you said.....toss one to baby and let them just suck it down.

I see the value of spoon use verses convenience for me but as a parent, I get it too.
WHAT IN THE WORLD? Sorry for the caps, but seriously. I wonder if my dcf's think that's what I do. I'm kind of horrified now. That thought literally never, ever even occurred to me.
284878 10:35 AM 12-13-2016

When I first heard of pouchesI did not like them. As I would see parents just hand a baby a pouch and walk away and not have any interaction with their child when their child was eating. But then I had a mom who brought pouches and I sat and spoonfed the infant and since I did not touch the spoon to the pouch I was able to cap the remaining food and refrigerate. If I had fed from a jar and the baby did not finish the food I would have had to toss it after an hour but with the pouch I can keep it for 24 hours.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:45 AM 12-13-2016
There are different types of pouches. Some are the type with a little nozzle on the end for the kid to suck it out or you can squeeze it on a spoon. The other type are resealable pouches where you tear off the strip on the top and the pouch opens for the spoon. They reseal when they are done.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
When I first heard of pouchesI did not like them. As I would see parents just hand a baby a pouch and walk away and not have any interaction with their child when their child was eating. But then I had a mom who brought pouches and I sat and spoonfed the infant and since I did not touch the spoon to the pouch I was able to cap the remaining food and refrigerate. If I had fed from a jar and the baby did not finish the food I would have had to toss it after an hour but with the pouch I can keep it for 24 hours.
I was always taught to spoon out a small portion onto a separate plate/bowl and feed baby from that.
You can always get out more food if needed but spooning out only what is needed eliminates contamination of the remaining contents like you mentioned.

Plus, I recycle and reuse the jars and plastic containers for a million and one other things.
cassiesue 12:23 PM 12-13-2016
If I am busy preparing meals etc. I will give both babies a pouch. They are in the high chair. They are able to feed themselves with it. They do make a huge mess as I think equal amounts get in the belly & tray. Then they have fun playing with the food from pouch that fell on the tray along with any finger food. My version of a mini sensory bin.

The babies figure the pouches out pretty quick. Nether had used one prior to my providing them as neither of their parents feed the babies at home, unless you count the cereal that the 8-month-old's mom pours in the bottle and has since about 2 weeks. When she enrolled I had to let her know that I would not be doing that.

Thus far I have witnesses no negative repercussions from use of the pouches. Both babies are spoon fed by me for a meal while here. It took them a bit to get used to it as it has with any other baby I have had before. The 8-month-old was spoon fed by me prior to the use of a pouch. However, the 7-month-old had a pouch first as I gave her one to play with when we were on a field trip to one of those indoor bounce house/trampoline places.
happymom 12:39 PM 12-13-2016
How does your baby suck right from the pouch? How old is this baby? Seriously, the thought never occurred to me. I just take it, put it on a spoon and feed.
Oh that is very different from what I was thinking.

My baby has eaten food directly from the pouch since he was about 7 or 8 months old, he's 14 months now. I still give him or my 4 year old an apple sauce pouch on occasion. Even I eat them out of convenience/laziness sometimes. They're not a health food, but when considering some of the alternatives, they are not all that bad: no sugar added, preservatives mean they don't need refrigeration.

ETA: I never spoon feed my children. They go straight to table food when they are ready and I introduce things like yogurt and oatmeal when they are ready to learn to feed themselves with a spoon.
CalCare 02:55 PM 12-13-2016
Middaycare- I'm sure that's what your parents are thinking. That's really the whole point of pouches! You should letthem know you are spoon feeding those pouches. It's terrible for development when that is all the child is eating from. Theat way they are lacking small motor development and are missing out on care giving interaction. If you are paying the higher price (per an ounce) for the pouches and NOT using them that way, you are totally ripping yourself off. They sell the exact same purees (organic, no additives, whatever you want) for a lower price in jars.
midaycare 04:52 PM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Middaycare- I'm sure that's what your parents are thinking. That's really the whole point of pouches! You should letthem know you are spoon feeding those pouches. It's terrible for development when that is all the child is eating from. Theat way they are lacking small motor development and are missing out on care giving interaction. If you are paying the higher price (per an ounce) for the pouches and NOT using them that way, you are totally ripping yourself off. They sell the exact same purees (organic, no additives, whatever you want) for a lower price in jars.
I totally talked to the dcf of my infant at "pouch age" today at pickup. I'm like, "Did you think I was just giving dcg a pouch a not feeding her???" Dcm said, "I thought that was the point of them, but dcg always comes home so clean, it didn't make any sense. I figured you had to be feeding her."

I feel like a bit of a tool. I seriously had no idea I guess I'm switching to jars for a lower price. Thanks for the tip CalCare!
284878 07:43 AM 12-14-2016
I was always taught to spoon out a small portion onto a separate plate/bowl and feed baby from that.
You can always get out more food if needed but spooning out only what is needed eliminates contamination of the remaining contents like you mentioned.

Plus, I recycle and reuse the jars and plastic containers for a million and one other things.
I was taught to take out a portion at a time too, but there is always waste that way, because then you have two things that you did not clean out plus more to wash.

DCM did bring a few jars (which I kept) and plastic during the 4 months of baby food but the plastic containers never had any lids just the foil, so if I did not finish one of those off I find a way cover them.

If it had been my dime, I would of gotten jarred food over pouches. When dd was little, I washed and sold all the jars on CL for .25 each or obo, I made $100.

I totally talked to the dcf of my infant at "pouch age" today at pickup. I'm like, "Did you think I was just giving dcg a pouch a not feeding her???" Dcm said, "I thought that was the point of them, but dcg always comes home so clean, it didn't make any sense. I figured you had to be feeding her."

I feel like a bit of a tool. I seriously had no idea I guess I'm switching to jars for a lower price. Thanks for the tip CalCare!
My friend used the pouches with her son, this when I first heard of pouches. She used a device for the end of the pouch to go over the hard tip to make it softer for the baby to suck or a spoon head for feeding. (both ways would contaminate at the remaining food)

https://www.amazon.com/ChooMee-Toppe...7ZNBG670Y&th=1

You can also purchase reusable pouches to make your own food

https://www.amazon.com/ChooMee-Snack...Breusable&th=1

Caution: They are putting anything in the pouches now days, including canned cat food and some kind of poison (not sure which poison, just remember seeing it) in the same shape pouch. My dd sees the pouches in the store and she thinks that they all are baby food.

As for what they put in the pouches is not always what they represent on the photo, some of the pouches (including the one organic brand) was flavored apple (so DCK was eating apple daily, but flavored different). Some contained chia seed but it was not represented on the front.
Tags:transitioning - bottle to food
Reply Up