Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Angelwings36's Avatar
Angelwings36 Angelwings36 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 438
Default Dcm Wants a Refund For Friday Bc She Changed Her Mind

Dcm has a son who attends my daycare full time. Earlier this week dcm asked me if she could pick up dcb at 12:00pm on Friday as they would be going to the lake. She normally picks up at 4:15pm. I said yes. I was very much looking forward to a quieter afternoon on Friday, dcb is 15 months so a lot of work. Fast forward to this morning dcm comes in and says they will no longer be going to the lake on Friday so dcb will be here all day. OH NO!! I said sorry dcm but since you informed me that dcb would be picked up at 12:00pm on Friday I accepted another family for the afternoon so I can not take him past 12:00pm now. That was a lie but I really didn't want to tell dcm the truth that I was looking forward to a quieter afternoon on Friday. Dcm looks shocked and says, "well we don't have to pay for Friday then right?". ARGH! I get why she would ask. Technically dcb should have been here from 7:30am - 4:15pm on Friday but now because dcm changed her mind I would only be allowing dcb to be here from 7:30am - 12:00pm. But that's not my problem! I was available to take dcb for the full day originally and she was the one that said he would be gone by 12:00pm. I told her she wouldn't get a refund and to keep in mind for the future if she informs me dcb will not be there for a day or a portion of the day and then changes her mind later that she may not be able to use that space anymore. I know some of you would likely say to refund for the half day but I don't want dcm to think she can continue to do this AKA BOOK A DAY/HALF DAY OFF THEN CHANGE HER MIND AND WANT IT BACK.

What are everyone else's thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,354
Default

Once a family schedules I don't allow refunds or changes.

If DCM chooses to not bring the child, then SHE is the one choosing to take the loss.

Since she scheduled him until only noon and you made plans based on what she said, I don't think it is polite, right or fair of her to assume she can simply change things again.

I'd say sorry, but it is what it is. Next time she should plan better.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM
preschoolteacher's Avatar
preschoolteacher preschoolteacher is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 910
Default

I think it's important to get any changes in writing. I've been told before that if a family has contracted hours with you, you are obligated by your contract to fulfill those hours unless they put it in writing that they want to make a change for a day.

I think what she did was wrong, and she certainly shouldn't get a free day since you're still caring for him until noon. However, I'm not sure you should charge her for all day since you might not have had a policy about changes/cancellations, and in that case, it's not fair to expect the parent to know better.

How about charging her for the half day?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,360
Default

Once I approve a change I don't allow any modification, especially not the day before!

I don't do 1/2 day payments for anything over 4 hours, so this DCM would be charged the full day rate in my house. I may be willing to "negotiate" and say if she picks up at 11:30 or earlier I'll give her the half day rate but if she's even 2 minutes late it's the full rate. If she's a problem parent honestly I wouldn't even offer the early pick up idea because she'd take it as a win and do it again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Angelwings36's Avatar
Angelwings36 Angelwings36 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher View Post
I think it's important to get any changes in writing. I've been told before that if a family has contracted hours with you, you are obligated by your contract to fulfill those hours unless they put it in writing that they want to make a change for a day.

I think what she did was wrong, and she certainly shouldn't get a free day since you're still caring for him until noon. However, I'm not sure you should charge her for all day since you might not have had a policy about changes/cancellations, and in that case, it's not fair to expect the parent to know better.

How about charging her for the half day?
She made the request via text message so I have documentation that she wanted the earlier pick up time on Friday.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwings36 View Post
She made the request via text message so I have documentation that she wanted the earlier pick up time on Friday.
I always have my parents email or text schedule changes (getting them to print or write out anything is not so easy for some reason) and then save them with my response so I can have a paper trail
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 AM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwings36 View Post
Dcm has a son who attends my daycare full time. Earlier this week dcm asked me if she could pick up dcb at 12:00pm on Friday as they would be going to the lake. She normally picks up at 4:15pm. I said yes. I was very much looking forward to a quieter afternoon on Friday, dcb is 15 months so a lot of work. Fast forward to this morning dcm comes in and says they will no longer be going to the lake on Friday so dcb will be here all day. OH NO!! I said sorry dcm but since you informed me that dcb would be picked up at 12:00pm on Friday I accepted another family for the afternoon so I can not take him past 12:00pm now. That was a lie but I really didn't want to tell dcm the truth that I was looking forward to a quieter afternoon on Friday. Dcm looks shocked and says, "well we don't have to pay for Friday then right?". ARGH! I get why she would ask. Technically dcb should have been here from 7:30am - 4:15pm on Friday but now because dcm changed her mind I would only be allowing dcb to be here from 7:30am - 12:00pm. But that's not my problem! I was available to take dcb for the full day originally and she was the one that said he would be gone by 12:00pm. I told her she wouldn't get a refund and to keep in mind for the future if she informs me dcb will not be there for a day or a portion of the day and then changes her mind later that she may not be able to use that space anymore. I know some of you would likely say to refund for the half day but I don't want dcm to think she can continue to do this AKA BOOK A DAY/HALF DAY OFF THEN CHANGE HER MIND AND WANT IT BACK.

What are everyone else's thoughts?
I would not have told her you scheduled someone else- then you are getting paid by her AND another family. I would give a refund in that circumstance, since you gave her paid spot away, and made it sound like you were getting someone else to pay in return. Otherwise I'd just say "sorry, I have already made plans around your 12:00 PU time. The contract states tuition is due regardless of attendance, so I cannot give a refund for unused time" I require notice the Friday before for changes in schedules (but I'd approve an early PU ANY days ) so I wouldn't budge on changing back to the later PU either!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Angelwings36's Avatar
Angelwings36 Angelwings36 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella View Post
I would not have told her you scheduled someone else- then you are getting paid by her AND another family. I would give a refund in that circumstance, since you gave her paid spot away, and made it sound like you were getting someone else to pay in return. Otherwise I'd just say "sorry, I have already made plans around your 12:00 PU time. The contract states tuition is due regardless of attendance, so I cannot give a refund for unused time" I require notice the Friday before for changes in schedules (but I'd approve an early PU ANY days ) so I wouldn't budge on changing back to the later PU either!
Well I didn't say I was getting paid for taking another child that afternoon. For all she knows I may be taking my neice as a favor
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:41 AM
LaLa1923's Avatar
LaLa1923 LaLa1923 is offline
mommyof5-and going crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,094
Default

I agree with what BC said! Also, I would've just told her I made plans. My contract states no refunds!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 AM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwings36 View Post
Well I didn't say I was getting paid for taking another child that afternoon. For all she knows I may be taking my neice as a favor
That would work, then, if she ever did ask!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Angelwings36's Avatar
Angelwings36 Angelwings36 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 438
Default

So dcm just text me:

"I understand that you book in other families when someone won't be there. I guess I just find it disappointing that it doesn't result in savings for the family who have already paid for that spot but only an increase in revenue for you."

Anyone want to comment to that?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwings36 View Post
Dcm has a son who attends my daycare full time. Earlier this week dcm asked me if she could pick up dcb at 12:00pm on Friday as they would be going to the lake. She normally picks up at 4:15pm. I said yes. I was very much looking forward to a quieter afternoon on Friday, dcb is 15 months so a lot of work. Fast forward to this morning dcm comes in and says they will no longer be going to the lake on Friday so dcb will be here all day. OH NO!! I said sorry dcm but since you informed me that dcb would be picked up at 12:00pm on Friday I accepted another family for the afternoon so I can not take him past 12:00pm now. That was a lie but I really didn't want to tell dcm the truth that I was looking forward to a quieter afternoon on Friday. Dcm looks shocked and says, "well we don't have to pay for Friday then right?". ARGH! I get why she would ask. Technically dcb should have been here from 7:30am - 4:15pm on Friday but now because dcm changed her mind I would only be allowing dcb to be here from 7:30am - 12:00pm. But that's not my problem! I was available to take dcb for the full day originally and she was the one that said he would be gone by 12:00pm. I told her she wouldn't get a refund and to keep in mind for the future if she informs me dcb will not be there for a day or a portion of the day and then changes her mind later that she may not be able to use that space anymore. I know some of you would likely say to refund for the half day but I don't want dcm to think she can continue to do this AKA BOOK A DAY/HALF DAY OFF THEN CHANGE HER MIND AND WANT IT BACK.

What are everyone else's thoughts?
I don't know. I am more flexible, I guess. For one, she has already paid for her spot for the week. For another, you did not make plans for the afternoon, half of which I am assuming is nap time. Then, when her plans fell through and the schedule changed back to the original hours that she is contracted for, you lied to her because you just didn't want to take care of her child for 4 more hours. I can understand why she would be upset and ask for a refund. What I don't understand is why you can't care the little one for the whole day tomorrow afternoon.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

It is frustrating when a parent says they will pick up early and then they change their mind.

However, I do allow it. I ALWAYS assume that child will be here for the entire day even if they say they won't be, just so I won't be let down.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwings36 View Post
So dcm just text me:

"I understand that you book in other families when someone won't be there. I guess I just find it disappointing that it doesn't result in savings for the family who have already paid for that spot but only an increase in revenue for you."

Anyone want to comment to that?
I'd text her back " who said that having a child here in your spot means more revenue? What if that child is my niece? I understand what you are saying but as I stated previously, I have to stick to my policies in order to continue the quality of care for everyone in my care while still following state regulations"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Angelwings36's Avatar
Angelwings36 Angelwings36 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh View Post
I don't know. I am more flexible, I guess. For one, she has already paid for her spot for the week. For another, you did not make plans for the afternoon, half of which I am assuming is nap time. Then, when her plans fell through and the schedule changed back to the original hours that she is contracted for, you lied to her because you just didn't want to take care of her child for 4 more hours. I can understand why she would be upset and ask for a refund. What I don't understand is why you can't care the little one for the whole day tomorrow afternoon.
Because I was expecting and looking forward to a quieter day tomorrow afternoon.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwings36 View Post
Because I was expecting and looking forward to a quieter day tomorrow afternoon.
You don't have to explain that to mom. If you require schedule changes by Friday of the previous week, and that schedule change was that the kid wasn't going to be there, then that's that. End of story. Don't explain anything else to her because she's going to continue to argue
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Angelwings36's Avatar
Angelwings36 Angelwings36 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
You don't have to explain that to mom. If you require schedule changes by Friday of the previous week, and that schedule change was that the kid wasn't going to be there, then that's that. End of story. Don't explain anything else to her because she's going to continue to argue
Yes I will keep that in mind for next time.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
It is frustrating when a parent says they will pick up early and then they change their mind.

However, I do allow it. I ALWAYS assume that child will be here for the entire day even if they say they won't be, just so I won't be let down.


Me too, I've found that 90% of the time the parents do not pick up early.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM
JoseyJo's Avatar
JoseyJo JoseyJo is offline
Group DCP in Kansas
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
It is frustrating when a parent says they will pick up early and then they change their mind.

However, I do allow it. I ALWAYS assume that child will be here for the entire day even if they say they won't be, just so I won't be let down.
Same here! I would be upset that the parent changed plans on us, but I would have allowed it since they do pay for that time. I have found it to be much less aggravating to plan for having dcks until 6 pm no matter what the parents say since they often flake when it comes to picking up their children early. (We don't have contracted hours- we are just open 7a-6p for 1 weekly price, no drop in/pt.)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwings36 View Post
So dcm just text me:

"I understand that you book in other families when someone won't be there. I guess I just find it disappointing that it doesn't result in savings for the family who have already paid for that spot but only an increase in revenue for you."

Anyone want to comment to that?
I kind of agree with the parent although I can see both sides. You 'could' have really filled the time as she said she didn't need that time. If she didn't need it, it wouldn't be her business if you are getting revenue or not. However, now that you are in the situation you might write back something like:

I am sorry you are disappointed. I usually don't discuss what I charge others for care but in this case there will be no added revenue as I am watching a relative who will still count in my numbers. Hope this clears things up.

That should work....maybe....

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwings36 View Post
So dcm just text me:

"I understand that you book in other families when someone won't be there. I guess I just find it disappointing that it doesn't result in savings for the family who have already paid for that spot but only an increase in revenue for you."

Anyone want to comment to that?
Wasn't she planning to pay for the day even though she was picking up early BEFORE she decided to change from a half day to full? Its only a problem because she's not getting what she wants now?

I would just respond about you niece if you want to give her an explanation. "My niece will be joining us for the afternoon and although I am not collecting payment for her time she however by law does count into my ratio. I was told by you DCK would not be coming and made other arrangements, I can not change this commitment at the last minute. I'm sure you understand"

Personally I'd have never given her a reason (I learned nearly this same way ) and just said unfortunatly I could not accommodate the last minute change because I had made plans with the absence of DCB in mind. Too bad, so sad

If she was a "good" DCP I would have offered a half day rate if she picked up at 1130 if she really made a stink but if she's pushy and rude I'd stand my ground.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Angelwings36's Avatar
Angelwings36 Angelwings36 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyJo View Post
Same here! I would be upset that the parent changed plans on us, but I would have allowed it since they do pay for that time. I have found it to be much less aggravating to plan for having dcks until 6 pm no matter what the parents say since they often flake when it comes to picking up their children early. (We don't have contracted hours- we are just open 7a-6p for 1 weekly price, no drop in/pt.)
Maybe that's the difference. I run by contracted hours so when a family makes a change to their hours I expect them to be there by their pick up time that day or they would be charged a late fee.

For example:

A family may be contracted with me from 7:30am - 4:15pm and then request to pick up at 12:00pm. If that works for me I will allow it and ensure that their child is ready to go by 12:00pm instead of 4:15pm. If a family showed up at 12:10pm they would be charged $15 ($15 for every 15 minutes or part of 15 minutes) for being late. A schedule change is just that and I expect my policies to be followed (late pick up policy included) regardless of the schedule change.

If a family asks to pick up earlier I allow it but I expect them to be on time and they know that. I don't just assume they may not be there until 4:15pm that day even though they asked to pick up at 12:00pm because I don't allow families to make changes to their schedules and then choose to not follow my other policies in the mean time.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwings36 View Post
Because I was expecting and looking forward to a quieter day tomorrow afternoon.
And you have a right to that! just b/c they changed their plans at the last minute is no reason for you to alter yours. I would not give a refund!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changed My Mind About Cloth Diapers... PolkaTots Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 39 02-25-2013 04:10 PM
Tools of the Mind LtTawnyMadison Curriculum 2 02-07-2013 08:55 PM
Refund Erica Parents and Guardians Forum 1 08-20-2012 10:49 AM
Space Held 2 Months, Changes Mind, Wants Refund? No! DaisyMamma Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 37 07-25-2012 12:20 PM
No Refund....Upset Parent...Help Plz maryjane Parents and Guardians Forum 3 11-05-2010 09:28 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:18 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming