Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Carpet Repair?

Okay I am guessing there is something I can do about this but I have no clue what. I know that even though we have been here ten years, the landlord isn't about to replace my carpet.

Where my playroom meets the hallway/living room the seam is coming apart I guess, It is fraying out. Is there anything I can do to easily repair this spot?
Old 05-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Daycare.com Member

Can you post a picture of the spot? It'll be easier to give advice if I knew exactly what we're looking at.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I use seam sealer at church.
Or fray check.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Unregistered

And if it's curling up you can use double sided carpet tape underneath.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Daycare.com Member

I will try to post a pic tomorrow. It isn't rolling up, and it is to big for fray check!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:04 PM
starting daycare someday

Depending on how bad the carpet edge is, you have a few options:

- double-sided carpet tape

- a transition strip to cover the edges (http://www.tiletrims.biz/images/foto/1177.JPG)

- if there is damage, replace a small strip of the carpet with matching carpet if possible, or something to give a nice effect

Then of course is the option to replace the whole carpet.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Depending on how bad the carpet edge is, you have a few options:

- double-sided carpet tape Sadly I think I have let this go to long for that.

- a transition strip to cover the edges (http://www.tiletrims.biz/images/foto/1177.JPG)- I wish that would work here, at this point it wont, but it would have if it had been put in when the carpet was done.

- if there is damage, replace a small strip of the carpet with matching carpet if possible, or something to give a nice effect- Not sure if I could find any of that or not.

Then of course is the option to replace the whole carpet.
Sadly that may have to happen, but I can't count on the landlord for it. The price of carpet and installation is scaring me away. We NEED new carpet though. If I owned I would feel some better about it.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:59 AM
Unregistered

Since none of the repair options work, can you just cover it with a small rug? It can be a bit of a tripping hazard, but maybe if your carpet is thin you could use double stick carpet tape to keep it in place.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:06 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Since none of the repair options work, can you just cover it with a small rug? It can be a bit of a tripping hazard, but maybe if your carpet is thin you could use double stick carpet tape to keep it in place.
That is an idea. I may consider new carpet at some point, but it isn't in the budget now. I would so love it though. And I do want to paint the play room, but emptying it is a job I dread lol.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:35 AM
starting daycare someday

If the whole carpet shows age, I would bug the landlord about it and not give up. Being there for 10 years, he should be willing to make a small investment to keep you happy, otherwise you may decide to move some day.

For now, you could just cover it like ??? said, and use those transition strips on the edges to keep it safe and secure.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
If the whole carpet shows age, I would bug the landlord about it and not give up. Being there for 10 years, he should be willing to make a small investment to keep you happy, otherwise you may decide to move some day.

For now, you could just cover it like ??? said, and use those transition strips on the edges to keep it safe and secure.
There is a whole in the wall in the main bathroom that has been there over a year. We can't use that one because there was a leak I finally threw a fit about fixing and he refuses to come put in now shower wall. They had to rip part of the wall out to get to the leak. I haven't had the money to fix it myself yet either, because with hubby never being home I will have to pay someone to do it.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
There is a whole in the wall in the main bathroom that has been there over a year. We can't use that one because there was a leak I finally threw a fit about fixing and he refuses to come put in now shower wall. They had to rip part of the wall out to get to the leak. I haven't had the money to fix it myself yet either, because with hubby never being home I will have to pay someone to do it.
And yes, we should move, but housing around here is tough, and expensive and I can't afford more rent right now. And then I will have to pay movers since again, DH is never home. So I am trying to figure out ways to just deal with this stuff myself.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:08 PM
starting daycare someday

Sounds like you need to find someone looking for odd jobs to do some little fixups for you.
If I lived nearby, this would be a good case for bartering. I could do some fixing up for you and you help me with my business when I get it going. Too far to drive though.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Sounds like you need to find someone looking for odd jobs to do some little fixups for you.
If I lived nearby, this would be a good case for bartering. I could do some fixing up for you and you help me with my business when I get it going. Too far to drive though.
That darn transportation issue!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Depending on how bad it is you might be able to use a glue gun. We have cheap Berber-type carpet and when one loop gets pulled a whole row comes up. I've glued them down with a hot glue gun and they stay pretty well - the trick is not burning myself sticking the loops down!

Tags
carpet, carpet repair