Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default I Took This from a Child on Arrival

A two year old showed me that she had this after dcd left. I donít want to reopen the ďgreat grape debateĒ but I really canít believe they just hand her these huge grapes to eat whole! I have to wonder if she was eating them in her car seat on the way to daycare.

I do plan to address the issue of bringing food in. Iím also thinking of printing a list of common choking hazards and sending them home with all the families.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 00735C80-0D31-4E82-9C4E-399D1C42A8FA.jpeg (2.05 MB, 48 views)
Old 03-28-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
A two year old showed me that she had this after dcd left. I donít want to reopen the ďgreat grape debateĒ but I really canít believe they just hand her these huge grapes to eat whole! I have to wonder if she was eating them in her car seat on the way to daycare.

I do plan to address the issue of bringing food in. Iím also thinking of printing a list of common choking hazards and sending them home with all the families.
I said something about cutting up grapes the other day to a DCP (has a just turned 2 yr old on Sunday) and she acted like I was suggesting she put her kid in a plastic bubble.

She'd never heard of having to cut grapes etc. and said they give them to DCK in the car all the time. They travel almost 20+ miles to daycare so DCK eats in car all the time.

The DCM is a nurse practitioner.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I said something about cutting up grapes the other day to a DCP (has a just turned 2 yr old on Sunday) and she acted like I was suggesting she put her kid in a plastic bubble.

She'd never heard of having to cut grapes etc. and said they give them to DCK in the car all the time. They travel almost 20+ miles to daycare so DCK eats in car all the time.

I even cut the small ones! For me personally, itís just not worth the risk. Imagine if she had popped that into her mouth after walking through my door and choked on it. Iíd be publicly hung out to dry.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Another thing I never did until coming here.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

That's huge. I've cut up chicken pieces smaller than that.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 AM

Ironic.

Todays "don't judge me" debate on NEJM was a 10 year old whose parents thought making their kid wear shoes, while playing with the new piglets in the pen, during a vacation abroad was "living in a plastic bubble".

Gotta love the constant pendulum swings. At least they are not asking you to wear their child and never use the damaging *no* word, I suppose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tungiasis (540 x 282).jpg (23.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-28-2019, 08:35 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Ironic.

Todays "don't judge me" debate on NEJM was a 10 year old whose parents thought making their kid wear shoes, while playing with the new piglets in the pen, during a vacation abroad was "living in a plastic bubble".

Gotta love the constant pendulum swings. At least they are not asking you to wear their child and never use the damaging *no* word, I suppose.
Oh. My. WORD.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Oh. My. WORD.
Spoiler alert: those black dots? Those are flea larva.

Sticking to my low cal breakfast plan was super easy this morning.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:19 AM
New Daycare.com Member

YIKES! Thatís gigantic! How scary.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Iím going to take another look at it before my lunch.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I’m going to take another look at it before my lunch.

I am going to hope that your client thought that because it was so much bigger than typical grapes that it would help teach her to bite it in half as it might not fit any other way.

I have been given "the look" a time or two for handing 4-year-olds a whole refrigerated apple when we were outside to help cool off. I view it as using the summer to prepare them for school lunches. Ours has a daily choice of a whole orange (they must peel and seed) a whole apple (they need to know not to eat the core) or a whole banana (they must peel). So many of the kids struggle with them during kindergarten that I felt I could at least help my little group.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 AM
LostMyMarbles

Quote:
A two year old showed me that she had this after dcd left. I don’t want to reopen the “great grape debate” but I really can’t believe they just hand her these huge grapes to eat whole! I have to wonder if she was eating them in her car seat on the way to daycare.

I do plan to address the issue of bringing food in. I’m also thinking of printing a list of common choking hazards and sending them home with all the families.
When I first glanced at the picture, it looked like a green egg. That is one massive grape!

Last edited by Blackcat31; 03-28-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

I am going to hope that your client thought that because it was so much bigger than typical grapes that it would help teach her to bite it in half as it might not fit any other way.

I have been given "the look" a time or two for handing 4-year-olds a whole refrigerated apple when we were outside to help cool off. I view it as using the summer to prepare them for school lunches. Ours has a daily choice of a whole orange (they must peel and seed) a whole apple (they need to know not to eat the core) or a whole banana (they must peel). So many of the kids struggle with them during kindergarten that I felt I could at least help my little group.
I buy the bags of small apples and give each child their own. Iíve never thought I shouldnít. Hmmm....
Old 03-28-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I buy the bags of small apples and give each child their own. I’ve never thought I shouldn’t. Hmmm....
Here most centers use those spiral cut swirly things that peel them. It has been suggested that we peel them for 3 and under (it is not in regs, yet). I use a corer, then dice, for 3 and under. 3-4 just the corer. 4 and up, whole. My regs have a tendency to be over the top, but once they get to school they are on their own.

"Restrictions. Peanuts, hot dogs, raw carrots, popcorn, fish with bones and grapes shall not be served to
the children less than three (3) years of age. Children older than three (3) years of age may be served these
foods provided that the foods are cut in such a way as to minimize choking. "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg applepeelercorer (450 x 450).jpg (31.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

I had a pedi and nurse family who would give their just barely 2 yo peanuts and let him ride part of the way home in the back window of their car. Then I had another dr.'s dd who hated her car seat; she was just a baby, maybe 6-8 mo. They drove many states away on a trip and she held her in her arms for much of the way because she cried. Yeh. People can be absolutely stupid sometimes and denial is at an all-time high with 'smart' individuals. Just look at the college scam going on. Rich, famous can buy anything and smart educated can get away with everything cause we all know 'it'll never happen to us' til it does.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

She'd never heard of having to cut grapes etc. and said they give them to DCK in the car all the time.
Had a dcp tell me this after asking why I was cutting the grapes she had sent in. Kid was 13 or 14 mo. at the time.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

My friends make fun of me all the time because I cut my 3.5 yr olds grapes. Its just not worth the risk.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Iím going to take another look at it before my lunch.
I think I'll tape a pic of this to my chocolate chip box.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Two View Post
I think I'll tape a pic of this to my chocolate chip box.

Good luck! It did not work on my slice of key lime pie from DH this afternoon at all.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
My friends make fun of me all the time because I cut my 3.5 yr olds grapes. Its just not worth the risk.
I cut my 3.5 year old's grapes, too. He's been very against it lately, but I am still scared.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

If that happened to my feet, you would have to keep me sedated and strapped to the bed so I didn't chop my own feet off.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Eww eww eww, that poor kid!!
Old 03-28-2019, 04:34 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
LOL I cut my 12 year olds grapes for her lunch ---- it's just a habit now....
Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 AM
Daycare.com Member

That thing is huge! OXO Tot makes this grape cutter that saves so much time! It's a pretty handy tool to have.

At least it was something healthy, I guess? I have 2 dcks who regularly come in with Oreo crumbs and Doritos on their faces
Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

where is the puke face.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGarden View Post
LOL I cut my 12 year olds grapes for her lunch ---- it's just a habit now....
I teach kids don't put a whole grape in their mouths. They must bite it no matter what size it is. They know why they MUST do it. I cut grapes for kids under 2yo. Everyone who is older knows how to eat it right.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:26 PM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

Quote:

Aside from the "gross" factor that throws Ag biosecurity 101 out the window. Horrible idea
Old 04-01-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Aside from the "gross" factor that throws Ag biosecurity 101 out the window. Horrible idea
Makes kids traveling with a "lucky buckeye" in their pocket seem super innocuous now, doesn't it?

Tags
apples, child safety, choking hazard, food preparation, grapes, parent - its a verb