Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Working Out
rmc20021 11:49 AM 04-24-2013
I have a 5 yo dcb who started about 5-6 weeks ago, but he only comes every other week so dad pays for part time care. Mom has him the opposite weeks as parents alternate weeks and she lives in another town which makes it too far for her to transport for childcare to bring him here during her weeks.

I had an old client call today wanting to bring her 2 yo back to my daycare FT(she had a family member move in and cared for the child for several months and now that person is starting a full time job). The family member has also been watching another child part time and they also want to come here.

I am terming the 5 yo because #1: he is part time and I really want/need to fill my full time positions as I only have 2 FT dck's. #2: the 5 yo dcb will begin school in the fall so I will be losing him anyways. #3: 5 yo has a lot of bad habits/manners which the other kids are picking up on #4: dcd did not show or call Monday at all and not until 4 pm yesterday to let me know dcb was not coming. He's been great about paying...even though he asked how much he owes me this morning at drop off since dcb wasn't here the first 2 days this week. It was clearly stated during interview that the full week is paid whether child is in care or not, and it's also in the policy.

My question is, since dcb only comes every other week (and he won't be here next week) so that would give dcd 11 days to find alternate care (and it states in my policy I may term at any time for any reason without notice so I am not under any obligation to give him any notice and feel 11 days is enough time to find someone else), then should I offer him the next week he would normally be in care to be able to find someone else? That would be a total of 3 1/2 weeks. And my other client needs to start Monday...as well as the new PT kid.
LittleD 12:05 PM 04-24-2013
I think 3.5 weeks is reasonable.
cheerfuldom 12:05 PM 04-24-2013
I would give a two weeks notice, period. He will have plenty of time for find care in 14 days. Why should he get extra days? 14 days is 14 days plus it should be easier for him. He doesn't even have his son in custody all the time, he has more time than the average parent to check out daycare options or handle interviews.
butterfly 12:15 PM 04-24-2013
If you need him gone in order to start the new families, I wouldn't give them the extra time. If you had the space available to accomadate them the extra week, then I would. It would give you a little more income as well...
LaLa1923 12:24 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would give a two weeks notice, period. He will have plenty of time for find care in 14 days. Why should he get extra days? 14 days is 14 days plus it should be easier for him. He doesn't even have his son in custody all the time, he has more time than the average parent to check out daycare options or handle interviews.

LaLa1923 12:25 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
If you need him gone in order to start the new families, I wouldn't give them the extra time. If you had the space available to accomadate them the extra week, then I would. It would give you a little more income as well...

rmc20021 03:11 PM 04-24-2013
Thanks everyone...yes I am at capacity and in order to be able to accept my old FT dcb back I would have to let somebody go and this one was the most appropriate.

I ALMOST termed yesterday after not receiving notification he wasn't going to be here Monday or Tuesday. Because of this issue...and this family isn't the only one who's done this, I have added a revision into my contract that if there is no notice a child will not be in daycare for 2 consecutive days, or 5 times per calendar year that they will be terminated immediately.

The only thing that kept me from doing it today is that I really need the money as my other source of income is going to be halted for two months and I need to make sure I have enough income to cover expenses until it's reimbursed.
MarinaVanessa 03:53 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Ditto to this. I give two weeks no matter how many days or how often the child comes. If you need the spot earlier you can release the client from the contract in writing and just not require payment for any weeks beyond the date that you terminate. Personally, I'd give notice and give him time but not more than 2 weeks. Even though he only comes to you every other week DCD still has 2 weeks to find care.
Reply Up