Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is it OK
DancingQueen 07:03 AM 10-13-2010
to make a child leave the table during meal time if they can't sit right?
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by sbschildcare:
to make a child leave the table during meal time if they can't sit right?

At my house, we usually warn 1 or 2 times and if they don't sit or misbehave then they leave the table. Period. It only takes this response 1 or 2 times before a child understands that in order to sit at table and eat with others they must behave appropriately. Please keep in mind, I am talking about children who are preschool age and over. Infants and toddlers live by their own rules....I do expect the preschoolers to help set an example for the younger ones so thy can learn to sit like the older kids as they grow.
I kind of use the rule of thumb that if they use the toilet and wear underwear, then they can behave at the table.
kitkat 08:07 AM 10-13-2010
It's definitely ok to remove them from the table as long as you give them a warning and let them come back to finish their meal. I start early on being able to sit nicely and it definitely pays off.
MarinaVanessa 08:43 AM 10-13-2010
We have a rule here that if they are playing with their food (throwing it, making a mess on purpose, playing with it etc.) then they are done and I remove it and the child from the table. If they are playing with it then they must not be hungry.

If a child is just being annoying to the other kids, touching them, trying to take their food, whatever ... then I remove the child from that table and have him/her sit by me to finish their food. If they then start playing with their food then I remove the food and them from the table and they are done.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all, however I am one of those that teaches table and social manners. We're working on table and restaurant manners next month to prepare us for Thanksgiving and I've been thinking about adding grocery store manners to the mix. Might even make a trip to an inexpensive restaurant but for sure I have a trip planned for the grocery store so we can practice. I try to do table manners at least every other month.
BentleysBands 09:05 AM 10-13-2010
i agree with everyone else...tho i warn 3x's and once its gone its gone. i throw away. i also change their snack for later. something much diff. than the others.
Tags:table manners
Reply Up