Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! Need To Close For 2 Days
Little Star75 12:57 PM 03-12-2013
So I just got home from the doctors office and apparently I have Pharynytis (not sure if that's hi you spell it) anyways.... This means I have to close for 2 days because I have to be on antibiotics for 2 days. The question is how do I tell parents? I m not going to give them credit cause this is a consequence of me caring for sick kids all the time. So I'm not going to do it.

Please help me how to word it, I have to send an email a.s.a.p. as I need to pick up a school age in one hour.
Thanks
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 03-12-2013
Do you allow yourself a specific number of paid days where you are closed in your contract?

If so, I would simply say

Dear DCP's

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, the child care will be closed for the following two days and reopening on Friday March 15, 2013.

These two days will be consider two of the XX amount of paid personal days I have outlined in my contract.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Daycare Provider

If you don't have any personal days off outlined in your contract, I personally would refund/credit the parents. Being exposed to sick kids is all part of the job and not really something I think you can throw back at the parents...kwim?
laundrymom 01:45 PM 03-12-2013
Are you closing just because of the antibiotic? It must be a wicked strong med. I've never heard of closing because of an antibiotic. I even accept kids 24 hrs after one.
Little Star75 01:52 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you allow yourself a specific number of paid days where you are closed in your contract?

If so, I would simply say

Dear DCP's

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, the child care will be closed for the following two days and reopening on Friday March 15, 2013.

These two days will be consider two of the XX amount of paid personal days I have outlined in my contract.

Daycare Provider

If you don't have any personal days off outlined in your contract, I personally would refund/credit the parents. Being exposed to sick kids is all part of the job and not really something I think you can throw back at the parents...kwim?
True and no I don't have any sick days on my contract however I been very lenient caring for sick children, I had kids with fever, cough, runny nose etc because parents complained they can't miss work etc. so I have been caring for sick kids. I know I got this from one of them but its hard to tell who.
Little Star75 01:53 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Are you closing just because of the antibiotic? It must be a wicked strong med. I've never heard of closing because of an antibiotic. I even accept kids 24 hrs after one.
I have something similar to step throat and have to be on antibiotics so yes I can reopen 24 hours after I been on it
Little Star75 01:56 PM 03-12-2013
Well I sent out a text to all parents and only one gave me a hard time. I told her that on my next contract renewal I will have to outlined 5 sick days on my contract and that I will have to be very strict on my sick policy. Btw this family is the one that half of the time her child is always catching something.
rmc20021 02:51 PM 03-12-2013
I don't have any sick/personal days off in my policy. I do take 2 weeks vacation throughout the year. I never charge a parent when I'm off due to illness.

Since you have no idea for sure whether you got sick from one of the kids (unless you have remained confined in your daycare home for the past week), and the fact that even if you did get something from one of them, you would have no idea which one so I would have a hard time in charging in a situation such as that if it's not in your policy you have paid sick/personal days.
LittleD 06:56 PM 03-12-2013
I don't have sick days in my policy, so I don't charge if I close for any reason.

Unfortunately, you chose not to enforce your own policies when it comes to the sick kids. You can't nail them for you not being more strict. Consider it a lesson learned.
Little Star75 09:25 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by LittleD:
I don't have sick days in my policy, so I don't charge if I close for any reason.

Unfortunately, you chose not to enforce your own policies when it comes to the sick kids. You can't nail them for you not being more strict. Consider it a lesson learned.
Yeah you are right, I will be giving this particular parent a credit but I will strictly enforced my sick policy effective now.

Thanks for all the responses
Little Star75 10:54 PM 03-12-2013
Now I need help writing a brief note to this parent apologizing and that I will give her a credit.
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
Now I need help writing a brief note to this parent apologizing and that I will give her a credit.
Use the letter I posted above but change the wording a bit so that it says:

Dear DCP's

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the child care will be closed for the following two days and reopening on Friday March 15, 2013.

These two days will be credited on your next invoice.

Daycare Provider

LaLa1923 08:09 AM 03-13-2013
I would credit everyone, not just the one that complained.

I get 2 weeks of vaca and 7 personal days, maybe consider labeling them as personal in your contact. ?.
NeedaVaca 08:40 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

I get 2 weeks of vaca and 7 personal days, maybe consider labeling them as personal in your contact. ?.
Exactly! You should credit all of them the same and get a contract asap with your paid days off.
Little Star75 10:02 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

That's exactly what I told parents that on my next contract renewal I will be adding at least 5 sick days and said ok. Yes after thinking it though I did decide to give credit but I also mention to them that I will strictly enforce my sick policy effective immediately. Btw they weren't too happy about that one cause there children are always sick.

Thank you all for your responses
Little Star75 10:03 AM 03-13-2013

Dear DCP's

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the child care will be closed for the following two days and reopening on Friday March 15, 2013.

Daycare Provider
Thank you so much
Blackcat31 10:13 AM 03-13-2013
Thank you so much
You're welcome and I hope you feel better soon!
MarinaVanessa 11:39 AM 03-13-2013
True and no I don't have any sick days on my contract however I been very lenient caring for sick children, I had kids with fever, cough, runny nose etc because parents complained they can't miss work etc. so I have been caring for sick kids. I know I got this from one of them but its hard to tell who.
Okay I know you have already made your decision and all and I really don't mean this in a condescending way at all, I just wanted to point something out here in what you said.

You don't have any sick days in your contract therefore you can't legally hold them accountable for paying for the days that you are closed unless the parents signed something that says they are agreeing to it (contract, policies etc). But you already decided on this part of the issue anyhow.

You even said that you have been lenient about sick kids in daycare which means that you really can't blame any of the parents for bringing sick kids because you are the allowing it KWIM? I know you already thought about this but I mention it because I can't stress the importance of providers that don't enforce their own policies and then suffer later when it comes back to kick them in the booty. DCP's don't always care that you suffer, they only care if they suffer. Other providers please take note.

I suggest that instead of waiting for the next contract renewal you just write up a letter with a change in policies effective two weeks from the date that you hand the families the letters.

Dear DCP,

This is your two week notice of change in policies. As of [DATE] 5 paid sick days will be added to the policies/contract. As of the above date this policy will become effective and I, the child care provider, will be able to take up 5 paid sick days per calendar year where the daycare will close with minimum notice.

Please make sure find alternative emergency child care arrangements in case that I should become ill if you do not wish to be inconvenienced by having to take time off of work, as this is a parent's responsibility.

As a reminder, there are already illness policies in place which will be fully enforced effective immediately. Take the time to review the current illness policies and become familiar with them to prevent any inconvenience or confusion in the future. If you have any questions about the policies that you would like me to clarify don't hesitate to contact me.

I would also like to remind you that should you not agree with this change, as per our contract, a written 2 weeks notice of termination is required and payment for those final two weeks are required to be paid.

Thank you
DC provider

This way you don't have to rewrite your entire contract or handbook just yet, you can just give them a notice and add the policy in your own time.
Little Star75 11:08 AM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Okay I know you have already made your decision and all and I really don't mean this in a condescending way at all, I just wanted to point something out here in what you said.

You don't have any sick days in your contract therefore you can't legally hold them accountable for paying for the days that you are closed unless the parents signed something that says they are agreeing to it (contract, policies etc). But you already decided on this part of the issue anyhow.

You even said that you have been lenient about sick kids in daycare which means that you really can't blame any of the parents for bringing sick kids because you are the allowing it KWIM? I know you already thought about this but I mention it because I can't stress the importance of providers that don't enforce their own policies and then suffer later when it comes back to kick them in the booty. DCP's don't always care that you suffer, they only care if they suffer. Other providers please take note.

I suggest that instead of waiting for the next contract renewal you just write up a letter with a change in policies effective two weeks from the date that you hand the families the letters.

Dear DCP,

This is your two week notice of change in policies. As of [DATE] 5 paid sick days will be added to the policies/contract. As of the above date this policy will become effective and I, the child care provider, will be able to take up 5 paid sick days per calendar year where the daycare will close with minimum notice.

Please make sure find alternative emergency child care arrangements in case that I should become ill if you do not wish to be inconvenienced by having to take time off of work, as this is a parent's responsibility.

As a reminder, there are already illness policies in place which will be fully enforced effective immediately. Take the time to review the current illness policies and become familiar with them to prevent any inconvenience or confusion in the future. If you have any questions about the policies that you would like me to clarify don't hesitate to contact me.

I would also like to remind you that should you not agree with this change, as per our contract, a written 2 weeks notice of termination is required and payment for those final two weeks are required to be paid.

Thank you
DC provider

This way you don't have to rewrite your entire contract or handbook just yet, you can just give them a notice and add the policy in your own time.

You are sooooo helpful and blkcat too, you girls rock!
Little Star75 11:09 AM 03-16-2013

Dear DCP's

Daycare Provider

Tags:contagious, sick
Reply Up