Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Take Your STARS and Shove 'Em, I'm Not Playing Anymore
Cat Herder 03:23 AM 04-29-2020
I played the game at almost OCD levels. What I found was backdoor politics, mismanagement, incompetence and no accountability.

I am done. I am free. My program is now my own again and it feels wonderful. I feel like I am coming out from under a lead blanket. They can keep playing in their sandbox with the cats.

What has been your experience with participating in QRIS systems?
DaveA 03:45 AM 04-29-2020
I've been lucky in that licensed is considered a quality level/ circle/ whatever they call the thing IL does. So I just do my own thing and don't bother.

I have told my license rep the day they make some of the QRIS stuff I've seen on here mandatory I'm folding my license into a paper airplane and throwing in through their office door with 2 words written on it.
Josiegirl 04:09 AM 04-29-2020
Towards the end of my dc days. I took the last year off from the STARS program. While I did miss the $$ incentives it was so not worth the extra aggravation, time, and investment of effort I had to put into it to remain a measly 3 stars. Parents, I found, didn't really care anyways. They either automatically chose the 5 STAR centers(which I've heard are like zoos), looked for their best bottom dollar bet or went through word of mouth.
Personally, I think their expectations are way above and beyond what is common sense. Plus I also believe a lot of their visits consisted of mostly their opinions. I also believe the states place too much money and power into these programs that haven't really been proven all that valuable. I don't believe for a second, that all that extra paperwork, investment and effort makes for quality childcare. But then again, that's just my thought.

May I ask if there was any one thing that caused you to tell them bye-bye? Or more like a cumulative effect.
Cat Herder 04:29 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
May I ask if there was any one thing that caused you to tell them bye-bye? Or more like a cumulative effect.
Cumulative. Since 2011 when I decided to give them a fair shake.

I also saw several provider's programs who were given top stars who should not have even passed basic inspection. It is all about your income tier level, subsidy status and politics, now. It did not start with that intention, at least I hope not.

They have even begun using the word Quality in italics, now. Not even the inspectors believe in it anymore as they are forced to overlook health and safety issues. It seems to have become another Robinhood program of advertising.
Annalee 05:18 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I played the game at almost OCD levels. What I found was backdoor politics, mismanagement, incompetence and no accountability.

I am done. I am free. My program is now my own again and it feels wonderful. I feel like I am coming out from under a lead blanket. They can keep playing in their sandbox with the cats.

What has been your experience with participating in QRIS systems?
I'm anxious to see how QRIS plays catch up as there have been no assessments since March 1 and no licensing visits either. I can't see them having time to go back and complete what has been missed. So I wonder if they will waive a 12 month period so all get a waiver. ??

It would be nice if covid 19 brought about change showing that we all survived without it. Also, we have many open unlicensed facilities plus over-ratio already licensed faclities now with slight to no regulations and the worry is how will they transition overloaded programs back into licensing ratio rules.??

So the next few months will be interesting!

I think everyone on this forum knows how I feel about QRIS???
Annalee 05:21 AM 04-29-2020
Cumulative. Since 2011 when I decided to give them a fair shake.

I also saw several provider's programs who were given top stars who should not have even passed basic inspection. It is all about your income tier level, subsidy status and politics, now. It did not start with that intention, at least I hope not.

They have even begun using the word Quality in italics, now. Not even the inspectors believe in it anymore as they are forced to overlook health and safety issues. It seems to have become another Robinhood program of advertising.
QRIS is a game and each provider (oops educator as my state calls us now) decides how far they want to play! And it's a one and done deal, no take-backs and defines you for a year! No logic in that as each day brings something new for providers (oops educators)
Cat Herder 05:50 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I'm anxious to see how QRIS plays catch up as there have been no assessments since March 1 and no licensing visits either. I can't see them having time to go back and complete what has been missed. So I wonder if they will waive a 12 month period so all get a waiver. ??
Our licensing sent out a notice saying we will have to upload all of our client's enrollment forms, immunization forms, attendance records along with all of our training records for the last two years, CPR and background checks. They also tossed out making us participate in virtual tours allowing who knows to view/record our private homes.
Annalee 06:05 AM 04-29-2020
Our licensing sent out a notice saying we will have to upload all of our client's enrollment forms, immunization forms, attendance records along with all of our training records for the last two years, CPR and background checks. They also tossed out making us participate in virtual tours allowing who knows to view/record our private homes.
We get 4-6 visits a year depending on our stars and an assessment plus two health dept vists and a fire visit and four food program vists all annually but I have had no visits since 2/12/20. So???? I am having a zoom meeting weekly and am beginning my trainings online to get my hours???? No way for them to catch up so I hope they see that amount of visits annually is "overkill".
Snowmom 06:33 AM 04-29-2020

Congratulations. I bet that must feel freeing.

I've never participated. I went to a couple trainings of theirs and walked out of one. The trainer was giving misinformation about regulations. Dangerously wrong misinformation!
The parents around here don't care about stars unless they are required to enroll in an approved program for assistance.
Annalee 06:38 AM 04-29-2020
There is a program going here now where essential workers get free daycare and your pay is based on your stars so one good perk after 20 years of QRIS for me.
PB&J 10:52 AM 04-29-2020
Ahhhhhh....my inspector said once we put an “open for business” sign up and start asking for money, it’s no longer our private home, at least during business hours and concerning regulations. We “only” have to follow the licensing rules, but if any of those rules are contrary to anything we personally would do, too bad.
Cat Herder 11:26 AM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by PB&J:
Ahhhhhh....my inspector said once we put an “open for business” sign up and start asking for money, it’s no longer our private home, at least during business hours and concerning regulations. We “only” have to follow the licensing rules, but if any of those rules are contrary to anything we personally would do, too bad.
She sounds just lovely.

Luckily they rarely last more than two years before they wash out.
jenboo 11:29 AM 04-29-2020
Im staying far, far away.
Annalee 11:36 AM 04-29-2020
She sounds just lovely.

yes; but what I like is when someone new is hired at the top of the chain and we have these meetings how providers are going to be heard and changes are coming. Then they are gone in two years and we start over. I wanna get a banner that says "with all due respect, we've heard it all before" and bypass this part
Cat Herder 12:05 PM 04-29-2020
yes; but what I like is when someone new is hired at the top of the chain and we have these meetings how providers are going to be heard and changes are coming. Then they are gone in two years and we start over. I wanna get a banner that says "with all due respect, we've heard it all before" and bypass this part
I double-dog dare you.

So. Many. Times. Before.
Annalee 12:24 PM 04-29-2020
I double-dog dare you.

So. Many. Times. Before.
They know me 'well enough' without the sign

I really need one that says "Don't Mess With Me!"
nannyde 02:32 PM 04-29-2020
I could never get into the QRS because I couldn’t figure any math where it would make me real money. Not singular grant money but weekly from all my clients Mo money because I was QRS level 5. I couldn’t imagine it would fill my slots quicker.

I thought having a full time helper, space and being a nurse just maxed out what I could charge more for. I couldn’t see the QRS taking it to the next level.

In other words, I didn’t see any value in it money wise.
Cat Herder 03:24 PM 04-29-2020
You are definitely right about that. Even with the grants, I went into debt participating.

I felt pressured, even threatened that it would become mandatory. That is what they kept telling us. Non-stop phone calls and emails.

I can't see that happening here, now, as long as my state stays red.
DaveA 03:26 PM 04-29-2020
They know me 'well enough' without the sign

I really need one that says "Don't Mess With Me!"

They wouldn’t get it. Or they’d think it was a joke. I once told a license rep that for every rule they add they should have to take one out. She thought it was the funniest thing she’d every heard. When she realized I was serious I swear you could hear the mental gears lock up.
PB&J 03:26 PM 04-29-2020
She sounds just lovely.

She seems to be a lifer, which is actually ok by me. She sees through much of this BS, and suggests work-arounds..... and is also despairing that work-arounds are necessary. But she is there to enforce the rules as they are written. As she says, she has far too often seen WHY they are written, and the best she can do is help common-sense-possessing providers thrive. This is for health and safety standards. We have separate Quality Inspectors.....we spent three years jumping through those hoops before we quit (like Nanny says, show me the money for each star! NONE). When we have tours and people ask about our participation in the program, I show them the size of the binder we had to keep updated and tell them that the state was diverting our attention from their kids. Not one person has changed their mind about us because of this!
Annalee 03:41 PM 04-29-2020
Originally Posted by DaveA:

They wouldn’t get it. Or they’d think it was a joke. I once told a license rep that for every rule they add they should have to take one out. She thought it was the funniest thing she’d every heard. When she realized I was serious I swear you could hear the mental gears lock up.

Annalee 08:10 AM 04-30-2020
Then there's the 'please contain your questions' comment that makes you go
Cat Herder 08:40 AM 04-30-2020
Then there's the 'please contain your questions' comment that makes you go
or my favorite: "Please submit your questions to survey monkey by _____ to possibly be selected for a response."

They won't even accept participation anymore.
Annalee 08:41 AM 04-30-2020
or my favorite: "Please submit your questions to survey monkey by _____ to possibly be selected for a response."

Annalee 08:51 AM 04-30-2020

They won't even accept participation anymore.
Isn't it funny how all the "programs" are opened up then no one knows how to offer assistance for them so they never get off the ground. Or they get off the ground and the providers have to just "hope" it works this time around because generally, we are on our own
daycarediva 09:26 AM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Towards the end of my dc days. I took the last year off from the STARS program. While I did miss the $$ incentives it was so not worth the extra aggravation, time, and investment of effort I had to put into it to remain a measly 3 stars. Parents, I found, didn't really care anyways. They either automatically chose the 5 STAR centers(which I've heard are like zoos), looked for their best bottom dollar bet or went through word of mouth.
Personally, I think their expectations are way above and beyond what is common sense. Plus I also believe a lot of their visits consisted of mostly their opinions. I also believe the states place too much money and power into these programs that haven't really been proven all that valuable. I don't believe for a second, that all that extra paperwork, investment and effort makes for quality childcare. But then again, that's just my thought.

EXACTLY! Doesn't all of that time spent elsewhere take AWAY from direct care of the children? Or your own family/self after hours... and lead to burn out faster?

Congrats CH!

I refuse to participate, it's still voluntary here and doesn't seem worth the paper the stars are printed on.
Cat Herder 11:32 AM 04-30-2020
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
EXACTLY! Doesn't all of that time spent elsewhere take AWAY from direct care of the children? Or your own family/self after hours... and lead to burn out faster?

Congrats CH!

I refuse to participate, it's still voluntary here and doesn't seem worth the paper the stars are printed on.
Yes, it does. And we all know burnout, unresolved, can lead to child abuse. This isn't rocket science or even new information. I won't miss any of it. I am looking forward to having fun, again. I still have to do "pre-school" because the state requires it, now, but I can do that 100% play based if I so choose.

Thanks1
Josiegirl 12:59 PM 04-30-2020
Yes, it does. And we all know burnout, unresolved, can lead to child abuse. This isn't rocket science or even new information. I won't miss any of it. I am looking forward to having fun, again. I still have to do "pre-school" because the state requires it, now, but I can do that 100% play based if I so choose.

Thanks1
Having fun with kids equals giving them that secure loving feeling that people actually want to spend time with them.

Living up to impossible standards pushed onto providers by state programs equals stressed out, burned out, over worked, harried BUT still underpaid and under appreciated providers who start to hate what they do and that feeling trickles right to the kids and how you're spending time with them.

There have got to be other ways to create "quality" programs without tapping every single bit of a person's love for children and physical energy right out of them.

When you think about it, children need safety, love, acceptance, nurturing, guidance and good nutrition.
Programs can give all of that (and more) without ridiculous mandated hours grinding the same old $hit down providers' throats, requiring huge amounts of time with children present and running into family time as well.

If all the state PowersThatBe are going to create the rules, they should at least support providers. It almost felt like they had a few favorites and the rest were left to swim through the murky muddy waters.

It used to be so much more fun. I'm glad I'm out of it. I really miss some of the kids but not the politics and expectations of it all.
AmyKidsCo 01:24 PM 05-01-2020
GOOD FOR YOU!!

In WI the QRIS system, YoungStar, is optional unless you want to accept state subsidized families. I don't, so I decline to participate in YS. It means that I'm listed at the bottom of the results in DCF's child care search, but I've always got a wait list so I'm not worried about that.

Sometimes I think about sending in my paperwork and taking a median rating to get the $500 grant, but can't make myself do it.
racemom 09:57 AM 05-03-2020
I went to a two day training program to introduce it. Took info and books back to my boss. She asked how it was I told her overwhelming, and I gave her some examples of what we need to change/add. She looked through the info I brought back and said until they make it mandatory we don't need it. As long as the children and teachers are happy and enjoy coming, why add stress! Yes, I have a great boss!
Cat Herder 06:10 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by racemom:
I went to a two day training program to introduce it. Took info and books back to my boss. She asked how it was I told her overwhelming, and I gave her some examples of what we need to change/add. She looked through the info I brought back and said until they make it mandatory we don't need it. As long as the children and teachers are happy and enjoy coming, why add stress! Yes, I have a great boss!
Smart.

It is simply too much. It almost ignores the value of actual hands-on care, altogether. We know the pyramid. Spending 50 hours a week in non-parental care, with a group, does not even meet the base level needs for our youngest learners. What would Magda say?

These kids need more time with basic care, love, and gentle guidance. We need to get out of the way of their play. Turning them into little science experiments, control groups and stats simply isn't what they need.
AmyKidsCo 01:13 PM 05-04-2020
Smart.

It is simply too much. It almost ignores the value of actual hands-on care, altogether. We know the pyramid. Spending 50 hours a week in non-parental care, with a group, does not even meet the base level needs for our youngest learners. What would Magda say?

These kids need more time with basic care, love, and gentle guidance. We need to get out of the way of their play. Turning them into little science experiments, control groups and stats simply isn't what they need.
I can't agree more!
daycarediva 10:14 AM 05-05-2020

Thanks1
EXACTLY, and you would think the people in charge of these programs would understand the direct correlation.....
Tags:politics, politics vs childcare needs, qris, ratings, stars, stars program
Reply Up