Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Busy Body activities
NiNi.R. 10:34 AM 09-18-2012
Need some suggestions for my group (2-18 month olds, 1-2yr old, 1-2.5 year old) and what to do with them while I prepare lunch (20-30 mins). I used to allow free play during that time but they are 2.5 and younger so they can't be in the other room where I can't see them unattended.

I've been trying to go ahead and sit them at the table each with a different toy but then someone always wants what the other is having. Then I'm constantly battling kiddos and it takes forever to get the lunch ready.

I looked at different ideas on pinterest. For example, today we had a station where you stick pipe cleaners in the bottom of a strainer and it only seemed to capture the attention of 1 of them.

I've tried group play on the living room floor with blocks or legos and they only seem to throw them everywhere.

They only seem to behave this way at lunch. For example earlier during free play they all sat on the floor and played with puzzles in the play room while I worked at my desk but If I'm attempting to prepare lunch and they in the living room(in plain sight) or at the table with puzzles they start stomping around dumping the pieces ,throwing them, fighting, ect.

Any suggestions on how to get this to stop?
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:53 AM 09-18-2012
oh I know this delima well. I have to have lunch preprepped, crock pot or plop in the oven an hour before. The little ones are hungry as soon as they know I am making lunch. I try to have a vegie ready immediately and give it to them! My ones a little older sit at the table and color or play with a table toy. But, I have found that feeding them (part of the lunch and usually a veg) works wonders! Peas don't need to be hot just thawed etc.
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
I've tried group play on the living room floor with blocks or legos and they only seem to throw them everywhere.
I think they might be trying to tell you something...

Why not get a couple plastic blow up beach balls annd let them toss and throw until their lunch is ready?

It will tire them out for nap time and will relieve them of their isatiable need to throw things.

I have been using blow up beach balls and nerf balls for a long time inside. They really can't hurt anything or anyone so it si a safe way to meet that need.
NiNi.R. 12:35 PM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think they might be trying to tell you something...

Why not get a couple plastic blow up beach balls annd let them toss and throw until their lunch is ready?

It will tire them out for nap time and will relieve them of their isatiable need to throw things.

I have been using blow up beach balls and nerf balls for a long time inside. They really can't hurt anything or anyone so it si a safe way to meet that need.
Excellent idea! In fact my brother runs a sonic and he has a ton of left over advertising beach balls just the right size I bet he'd let me have. Thanks Blackcat!
Country Kids 01:01 PM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
Excellent idea! In fact my brother runs a sonic and he has a ton of left over advertising beach balls just the right size I bet he'd let me have. Thanks Blackcat!
Just be careful as mine fight even if they each have a ball. The other thing is they start running like crazy and plow into each other. I can't even put music on if I'm not in the room because of the way they act.
Reply Up