Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do?
Michelle 04:11 PM 01-23-2011
I have been communicating with a lady with a little baby using care.com and she wants to meet me . I keep giving her my phone number but she says she doesn't like talking on the phone. She just wants my address to meet in person.
What do you guys think?

I'm afraid you guys might see me in an episode of 48 hours mysteries ...lol
Daycare_Mama 04:28 PM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I have been communicating with a lady with a little baby using care.com and she wants to meet me . I keep giving her my phone number but she says she doesn't like talking on the phone. She just wants my address to meet in person.
What do you guys think?

Red flag! If she doesn't want to talk on the phone, fine I guess. But then, I would tell her that you will only meet in a public place. Then you can feel her out first.

Or you could just tell her sorry, but you conduct phone interviews before meeting any potential families.

Very strange; I would be careful.

Do you have her email and could search for her up on facebook with it? I always look people up on facebook before I meet people off of craigslist for buying/selling. Sure, it's not a guarantee that they are normal, but I can at least see if they are a real person with friends and whatnot, you know?
kendallina 04:38 PM 01-23-2011
Yeh...that's a little weird that she won't even call you at all. I would tell her that you require a phone interview before you will do a tour/in-person interview.
Michelle 04:40 PM 01-23-2011
ok I will thank you,
I will
Former Teacher 06:00 PM 01-23-2011
Most definitely a BIG red flag!

I am a frequent member of care.com (among others) and I will not submit even my phone number without their number first. Like others, I do a search of them

Anyway, I also on care.com do not have them access to my background check until I have made contact with them. I have had a few that I have answered and I have had no response other than that they request a check. Which is fine that's what its there for. However I did it 2 times to people who made NO contact with me. Not anymore. There was even one who requested it and I told them that I required some contact before I grant access. Never did hear from them.

Be careful. If this kook STILL wants your address, give her the address to the local police department and tell her that you want to meet her there
safechner 06:07 PM 01-23-2011
What do you guys think?

She may be deaf that she dont like talking on the phone. I am deaf myself and I always don't like to talk on the phone. You can ask her why she wouldn't want to talk on the phone.
Blackcat31 07:25 PM 01-23-2011
What do you guys think?

You know at first I was going to post that I thought "huge red flags!" too, but then I got to thinking and I had a mom who called me once and from the whole call and the things she said, I thought she was crazy but it turned out she was from a very small foreign country and they went about their search for child care in a very different way than we do here. She turned out to be a wonderful family that i had for a long time. I say continue the conversation as much as possible through maybe e-mail and see how it goes, or as pp said ask her outright why she doesn'tlike talking on the phone, but until you do know for sure I wouldn't be giving out your address. I really don't want to see anyone on 48 hours either...
SilverSabre25 07:33 PM 01-23-2011
i was also going to mention that she might have a hearing or a speech difficulty that make phone conversation difficult. I would ask her politely if there's a particular reason she dislikes speaking on the phone.
Michelle 06:18 AM 01-24-2011
thank you everyone, I thought I was just being paranoid.
She texted me , then I thought o.k. we are getting closer but I texted her back and told her for the safety of the children I require we talk on the phone. I also said that if I had her daughter in my home she can rest assure that I have these safety measures,and I told her I get nervous on the phone too.

She finally agreed to call me and she was just this little insecure young lady that didn't know what to ask/say so I did all the talking and we even laughed a little about it. We have an interview this Wed. (my husband will be present as always)

Again thanks for your input
Tags:care.com, interview, wwyd
Reply Up