Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those With Nature Programs
Country Kids 12:49 PM 03-22-2012
I know several of you here spend tons and tons of time outside. We could have maybe ventured outside today but I think once we stepped on the lawn someone would have been swallowed in the swamp lands of it-. 2.2.5 inches in rain yesterday and more coming. Its going to take a longtime to try.

Anyway, in more spring, summer, fall weather do you spend the entire day outside? Trying to figure out a schedule for this but I find once we get outside and doing some play, its time to stop, come inside for bathroom, snack. There goes 45 min. Then once we get back outside its only like another 45 min-1 hour till we have to do it for lunch. It seems we will be doing alot of running back and forth.

Also, I was thinking it would be fun to sleep outside for naps but not sure how to do that. Would you have to have parents sign off that its ok and would it be against liscensing to you think.

Do you change activities daily outside or let them just free play?
Ariana 12:53 PM 03-22-2012
It only takes us about 10 minutes to get outside now with the weather being so nice. Shoes and sun hat and sometimes a sweater. We do free play mostly but we also walk to our local park and play. I will do circle time and picnic outside for snack as well.

I'm not sure if sleeping outside would work for us but that would be a cool idea!
Countrygal 02:05 PM 03-22-2012
Well, it's only been a couple of weeks, but here's what we're doing so far:

Breakfast inside, clean up, circle time and head out. Usually out between 9 and 9:30.

About 10:15 it's potty break. We take off our shoes on the back porch, come in, line up, potty, wash hands, change diapers and back out. They are usually pretty excited to get back out, so it doesn't take long! On the way out they all grab one item to carry for snack: food, cups, napkin, water pitcher, etc. We keep it simple for a.m. snack outside.

After snack is a wipe-up with wipes.

About 12 - 12:30 we head in for lunch. while I prepare it, they watch an educational video, or if they've been good, free play, or sometimes this is drawing time. Lunch is usually on by 12:30 (notice I said usually, as it depends on how much we got "into" outside. I start it before we head out in the a.m. (crock pot) or I make it ahead and have it ready to pop in oven, or it is something simple like today (hot dogs, strawberries, salad). I WANT to get organized enough that at LEAST two days a week we cook and eat outside, but haven't gotten there yet! We tried it one day and everyone wants to repeat the experience!

After lunch is nap. We've only been able to nap outside one day because weather report has been afternoon rain every day. We only had the rain one day, but I don't want to be caught. I am planning to purchase a screen tent for nap times.

In between eating we take nature walks, do plant identification, we have set up 2 small gardens and even planted them with some cool weather plants and we also have some potted plants we are growing.

We have looked and found quite a bit of animal sign, have been finding a lot of interesting bugs, and have been excited to find the first bud on the daffodils and, just today, the first of the violets!!!!

Science abounds, we have community service (picked up litter and have helped a neighbor a little), and even had some history. Story times are soooooo much better outside, and free play definitely goes better. I have to tell you though that I am struggling mightily with how to meet requirements for the rating systems. Some things just can't be kept outside or hauled out every day. It's those things that say "every day" that are causing me a lot of frustration!

Just this morning we talked about our program in circle time and this is what it will include once we get it all set up and going to my satisfaction (that means these activities all will happen once a week) or so:

Nature hikes
Gardening
Bird treats/toys/food
Learning new plants
Learning about animals (homes, sign, scat, foods, tracks)
Outside games
Naps outside
Cooking outside
Eating outside
Music
Reading
Drawing
Field Trips, even if they are within walking distance or if they come to us!

So, that's our program so far. It is evolving and changing, but those are the basics of it. As of now we spend about 4 - 5 hours a day outside. The goal is about 7 - 8.
BigMama 02:19 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
Well, it's only been a couple of weeks, but here's what we're doing so far:

Breakfast inside, clean up, circle time and head out. Usually out between 9 and 9:30.

About 10:15 it's potty break. We take off our shoes on the back porch, come in, line up, potty, wash hands, change diapers and back out. They are usually pretty excited to get back out, so it doesn't take long! On the way out they all grab one item to carry for snack: food, cups, napkin, water pitcher, etc. We keep it simple for a.m. snack outside.

After snack is a wipe-up with wipes.

About 12 - 12:30 we head in for lunch. while I prepare it, they watch an educational video, or if they've been good, free play, or sometimes this is drawing time. Lunch is usually on by 12:30 (notice I said usually, as it depends on how much we got "into" outside. I start it before we head out in the a.m. (crock pot) or I make it ahead and have it ready to pop in oven, or it is something simple like today (hot dogs, strawberries, salad). I WANT to get organized enough that at LEAST two days a week we cook and eat outside, but haven't gotten there yet! We tried it one day and everyone wants to repeat the experience!

After lunch is nap. We've only been able to nap outside one day because weather report has been afternoon rain every day. We only had the rain one day, but I don't want to be caught. I am planning to purchase a screen tent for nap times.

In between eating we take nature walks, do plant identification, we have set up 2 small gardens and even planted them with some cool weather plants and we also have some potted plants we are growing.

We have looked and found quite a bit of animal sign, have been finding a lot of interesting bugs, and have been excited to find the first bud on the daffodils and, just today, the first of the violets!!!!

Science abounds, we have community service (picked up litter and have helped a neighbor a little), and even had some history. Story times are soooooo much better outside, and free play definitely goes better. I have to tell you though that I am struggling mightily with how to meet requirements for the rating systems. Some things just can't be kept outside or hauled out every day. It's those things that say "every day" that are causing me a lot of frustration!

Just this morning we talked about our program in circle time and this is what it will include once we get it all set up and going to my satisfaction (that means these activities all will happen once a week) or so:

Nature hikes
Gardening
Bird treats/toys/food
Learning new plants
Learning about animals (homes, sign, scat, foods, tracks)
Outside games
Naps outside
Cooking outside
Eating outside
Music
Reading
Drawing
Field Trips, even if they are within walking distance or if they come to us!

So, that's our program so far. It is evolving and changing, but those are the basics of it. As of now we spend about 4 - 5 hours a day outside. The goal is about 7 - 8.
Wow. Just wow. I am in awe. You. Rock. Just wondering a couple of things:
What aspects of the rating scales are you struggling with?
What part of the country do you live in? What will winter look like for your program?
Can I steal some of your ideas?
Heidi 02:24 PM 03-22-2012
She IS awesome...I've met her!

Country-we'll get the FCCERs stuff figured out together, don't worry!
Country Kids 03:08 PM 03-22-2012
Do any of you live in town? That is where I'm totally stumped! We live in town but there isn't much "nature" in our backyard. So I'm totally not sure what to do besides just set up different things and let them play, play, play.

If anyone lives in town can you let me know what you do for outdoor nature time?
cheerfuldom 03:12 PM 03-22-2012
Thankfully, we have an amazing backyard and a park within walking distance. There is no way I could do daycare without these options! I've never tried nap times outside but will definitely be trying story time/circle time outside and also snacks. Everything is better outdoors. I rarely have any issues with the kids outside. The criers dont cry, the fighters dont fight, its very magical
daycare 03:15 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I know several of you here spend tons and tons of time outside. We could have maybe ventured outside today but I think once we stepped on the lawn someone would have been swallowed in the swamp lands of it-. 2.2.5 inches in rain yesterday and more coming. Its going to take a longtime to try.

Anyway, in more spring, summer, fall weather do you spend the entire day outside? Trying to figure out a schedule for this but I find once we get outside and doing some play, its time to stop, come inside for bathroom, snack. There goes 45 min. Then once we get back outside its only like another 45 min-1 hour till we have to do it for lunch. It seems we will be doing alot of running back and forth.

Also, I was thinking it would be fun to sleep outside for naps but not sure how to do that. Would you have to have parents sign off that its ok and would it be against liscensing to you think.

Do you change activities daily outside or let them just free play?
Last may we did a camp theme and we put up a tent and took naps out inside of it. BOy was that fun. It took the kids a long time to settle down, but they all napped and I got to soak up the sun and drink some cool ice tea while getting a tan...

I have had a few local hikes lead by park rangers that I set up.

I do a community in the classroom project...we do a lot in the community
Heidi 03:20 PM 03-22-2012
I live in a suburb of a small town. All the lots are about and acre, and over half of the 40 are empty. We don't have sidewalks, but we can walk on the road with reasonable safety (or in the grassway next to it, if needed). I also have an area of about 50x30 feet fenced in, with a bed of woodchips. That's our "play yard", but we can also do sidewalk chalk in front of the garage, on the cement apron.

If I were in town, I would just have a backyard, but there could be a lot of nature there, as well. My sister's backyard looks like a park, and she does daycare. She even has an old small row boat she put out there for the kids to go "fishing". She drilled a couple holes in it for drainage, and they love it. I am looking for one of those....
Country Kids 03:24 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
I live in a suburb of a small town. All the lots are about and acre, and over half of the 40 are empty. We don't have sidewalks, but we can walk on the road with reasonable safety (or in the grassway next to it, if needed). I also have an area of about 50x30 feet fenced in, with a bed of woodchips. That's our "play yard", but we can also do sidewalk chalk in front of the garage, on the cement apron.

If I were in town, I would just have a backyard, but there could be a lot of nature there, as well. My sister's backyard looks like a park, and she does daycare. She even has an old small row boat she put out there for the kids to go "fishing". She drilled a couple holes in it for drainage, and they love it. I am looking for one of those....
What do you mean by a park? Lots of play equipment or trees and such. I would love to see pictures! Does she have a website?
Heidi 03:32 PM 03-22-2012
What do you mean by a park? Lots of play equipment or trees and such. I would love to see pictures! Does she have a website?
No website currently...

Ok, she's been doing this 18 years now, and once upon a time, grants were a fairly regular occurance. So she has a 1/4 or so yard, filled with woodchips. In the corner, there is a weeping willow. In the upper center, there is a rainbow climber with a swing set that is canopied by the willow. A stone path (made from 2 ft square pavers), goes around half to make a riding toy area. To the front towards the house is a picnic table, and in the middle of the riding toy area there is a rubber-matted area with older infant/toddler toys.

Sis is very crafty, so she put the old boat in one area, made a stationary wooded "car" with a steering wheel (think Flinestones), and a little log house with plexiglass windows. Inside is a stocked little tykes kitchen and a table/chair set.

Is that a good visual?

My yard is still a work in progress, but I am def. stealing the boat idea!
Countrygal 04:48 PM 03-22-2012
Do any of you live in town? That is where I'm totally stumped! We live in town but there isn't much "nature" in our backyard. So I'm totally not sure what to do besides just set up different things and let them play, play, play.

If anyone lives in town can you let me know what you do for outdoor nature time?
There is sometimes MORE to do in town than in the country, believe it or not!!! OK, well, at least just as much and different! I majored in forestry in college and believe it or not, I learned most of my trees in TOWN!!! And a bunch of western trees and southern trees that I would never have learned had I studied in the "country"!!! One memory I have of college is walking the streets of Stevens Point learning the names of all the trees from a Magnolia and Tulip Tree to a Ponderosa Pine!!!

In town there is a MUCH wider variety of flora! Trees, shrubs, flowers - imported, hybrid, all kinds of rich things to investigate! And bugs, squirrels, even raccoons are everywhere! We have a three-legged deer that lives in our town!

I'd ask neighbors, visit parks, ask park managers, visit zoos, take neighborhood walks - I'll just bet you find someone who is more than willing to "share" their knowledge of plants! One thing you can be sure of - anyone with a lovely flower or a small vegetable garden is almost always willing to share info!

Visit a nursery - take part in a community garden - offer to help plant the flower boxes on the streets (or to build them! )

Volunteer to help an elderly woman or man keep up their weeding. I'd check at the community elderly food program.

I think maybe the key in the city is to get out of your own yard. Look around you and see where you can participate.

Even a 2yo can help pick up litter or plant a flower box.

I know, it's hard. It really is. We have so much to do as it is, and this takes work. It does. It's just another, even harder to organize, form of curriculum.
Countrygal 05:02 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by BigMama:
Wow. Just wow. I am in awe. You. Rock. Just wondering a couple of things:
What aspects of the rating scales are you struggling with?
What part of the country do you live in? What will winter look like for your program?
Can I steal some of your ideas?
Wish I could claim the title of awesome, but I'm not. This thread just hits on my area of passion! I surely appreciate the kind words, though! They really made me feel good after a looonnnggg day!

Most of the aspects of the ratings that I'm struggling with involve music, art, and all of the "manipulatives" for small and large motor skills. The number and variety required - like 12 different ones, three in each area. Pretty hard to keep drawing and painting things outside and available all day long through wind, rain, etc......

And the ones that say "daily" - "daily" do this and "daily" do that. When we're outside, we do whatever happens that day. We may find some deer tracks and follow them or we may find some edible plants and pick them to show our parents. We may pick berries or build a campfire. No time for anything that requires "daily" other than watering our plants!

I live in the frigid north - this winter was soooooo wonderful, but was winter non-the-less. Winter is mostly inside for me. I'm not a cold weather lover.

Winter we do the more traditional. Arts, crafts, music, etc. I wish the rating service would consider the program offered over a YEAR rather than just over a DAY. Over an entire year, it all gets covered in adequate amounts. Warm weather, in my mind, is science, history, community service, health, nature. Winter is for the arts.

Steal away! They're there for the taking! The kids came up with some of them!

Sorry for all the missing smilies, etc. Internet has issues tonite.....
Heidi 06:51 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
Wish I could claim the title of awesome, but I'm not. This thread just hits on my area of passion! I surely appreciate the kind words, though! They really made me feel good after a looonnnggg day!

Most of the aspects of the ratings that I'm struggling with involve music, art, and all of the "manipulatives" for small and large motor skills. The number and variety required - like 12 different ones, three in each area. Pretty hard to keep drawing and painting things outside and available all day long through wind, rain, etc......

And the ones that say "daily" - "daily" do this and "daily" do that. When we're outside, we do whatever happens that day. We may find some deer tracks and follow them or we may find some edible plants and pick them to show our parents. We may pick berries or build a campfire. No time for anything that requires "daily" other than watering our plants!

I live in the frigid north - this winter was soooooo wonderful, but was winter non-the-less. Winter is mostly inside for me. I'm not a cold weather lover.

Winter we do the more traditional. Arts, crafts, music, etc. I wish the rating service would consider the program offered over a YEAR rather than just over a DAY. Over an entire year, it all gets covered in adequate amounts. Warm weather, in my mind, is science, history, community service, health, nature. Winter is for the arts.

Steal away! They're there for the taking! The kids came up with some of them!

Sorry for all the missing smilies, etc. Internet has issues tonite.....
Yeah, no kidding about the rating! There is no balance when the they take a "snap shot" of one day and try to quantify it.
melskids 02:58 AM 03-23-2012
Here, we eat breakfast and head out by 830 - 845.

I have totes set up for each day, and set them out on the deck ahead of time...one is an art tote, one is a writing tote, one filled with dramatic play, one for blocks, etc. We love to bring the indoors out, but I won't leave it out there because of our weather. So i just lug them in and out everyday, and rotate the contents when needed.

I also make sure to bring any snack and a water jug out in the morning as well so its ready to go.

We pop in for a potty break around 1030, and then head back out. We come in around 1145 for lunch, which is just to let me get it prepared. We usually bring that out to eat at the picnic tables.

Depending on the weather, we may come in for naps, but sometimes they just curl up under a tree and pass out.

We repeat the whole cycle again in the afternoon, in between going to the bus stop.

Countrygal, your program sounds awesome, and sounds kinda like how I do things too.

And I hear ya about the FCCERS thing. Ugh.

Country kids, Even if you live in town and have a small yard, you can still incorporate nature in alot of ways. Put plants in planters or boxes if you don't have space for a garden. Grow those upside down tomatos or strawberries and hang them from sheperds hooks. Add bird houses, feeders, and a bird bath. Plant flowers that attract insects and butterflies. Give them a dirt patch to dig in. Put in a dry creek bed. Make a teepee out of pole beans or sunflowers...it takes a while for that to grow, but it looks so awesome when it does.

Be sure to stock a nature box full of bug catchers, tweezers, magnifying glasses, clipboards and paper, pencils, field guides, and maybe even some old digital cameras.
Countrygal 05:36 AM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Here, we eat breakfast and head out by 830 - 845.

I have totes set up for each day, and set them out on the deck ahead of time...one is an art tote, one is a writing tote, one filled with dramatic play, one for blocks, etc. We love to bring the indoors out, but I won't leave it out there because of our weather. So i just lug them in and out everyday, and rotate the contents when needed.

Be sure to stock a nature box full of bug catchers, tweezers, magnifying glasses, clipboards and paper, pencils, field guides, and maybe even some old digital cameras.
I love the idea of the totes. BBO and I are getting together to discuss ideas and this is one we will definitely discuss!

I just picked up a bunch of the bug stuff and magnifying glasses at the dollar tree! They're pretty chinzy, but the nets had bamboo handles and seemed rather sturdy! The magnifying glass had a hollow handle with a tweezers inside so you could catch a bug and put it in the handle to carry it!
countrymom 06:01 AM 03-23-2012
we play alot outside, I don't do programing because everyday we find things to do. We go for walks to or we go to the park. Yesterday we walked to the hardware store (small town and very country so you need a hardware store) for some cat litter. We watched a house being torn down, stopped by the post office, went to the park, came back to the house played outside, and lunch at 12 30. We usually go outside around 1030 or 11am. My yard is still muddy so we do porch only, but my porch wrapps around the house (my neighbours all envie my porch) and its so big that we have alot of stuff to do.

now I do have some projects I want to do outside, I want to build a house out of sticks and have have bean plats grow on it. Dh says I need to stop getting ideas from pintrest, otherwise the farmer is going to have to sell me some property to house my ideas.
BigMama 09:39 AM 03-23-2012
Add bird houses, feeders, and a bird bath.
I've done some serious bird watching with the kids and would love to have a bird bath but was told they weren't allowed under Alysa's law. Do you have a bird bath? I am wondering if there is a type that is ok with regs.
melskids 09:44 AM 03-23-2012
I've done some serious bird watching with the kids and would love to have a bird bath but was told they weren't allowed under Alysa's law. Do you have a bird bath? I am wondering if there is a type that is ok with regs.
I don't see the difference between a birdbath and a water table, and we can have those...so I don't know. My licensor is here all the time, and has never said anything about it...or maybe she hasn't noticed it.

Maybe I'll give her a call to find out.
Heidi 10:33 AM 03-23-2012
What is Alysa's law? The only thing I can find is about a teenager being killed in a car accident with an unlicensed friend....
BigMama 11:12 AM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
What is Alysa's law? The only thing I can find is about a teenager being killed in a car accident with an unlicensed friend....
Alysa's law (in NY) has to do with the requirements regarding water safety (such as barriers around pools and other "water features", alarms on doors, etc.) on family child care property. A 2 year old girl, Alysa Orzolick, passed away in 2000 when she got out of her providers house and drowned in water that had collected on her provider's pool cover. So sad and totally preventable with proper supervision and precautions.
melskids 11:16 AM 03-23-2012
I called my licensor and she said they were allowed, as long as we dumped them every night just like the water table.

I don't know what county youre in, so I would check with your licensor as well to be sure....if you wanted one.
BigMama 11:28 AM 03-23-2012
I called my licensor and she said they were allowed, as long as we dumped them every night just like the water table.

I don't know what county youre in, so I would check with your licensor as well to be sure....if you wanted one.
Oh, wow cool. I definitely want one. Today we saw mourning doves, cardinals, robins, and a woodpecker...all in the backyard. I think a bird bath would totally invite more feathered friends! I'm going to call my licensor to be sure but I am sitting here with the Audubon catalog
Heidi 03:56 PM 03-23-2012
I don't think it's a law here, then, although we can't have pools accessible at all.

I have a bird bath, but it is outside the children's play-yard, which is fenced in, in my front flower-garden (which has a little garden fence around it). The kids can see it, but really have no access to it. Well, nothing is really ever kid-proof, we all know that, but I'd be more worried about them being crushed by it (it's metal) than drowing in it, IF they got "out" on me. But then I'd be more worried about the street and the neighbors huge dogs (that run loose) than the bird bath. Let's hope they just never get out...
Tags:nature based
Reply Up