Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One Day a Week
blessed mom 08:01 PM 02-24-2013
So, I have a stay at home mom who brings her child one day a week to get a "break". This fall I will have room for an infant but only if it's not on the one day this child comes because then I will be over my ratio on that one day. I'm getting a lot of infant calls for the fall. What would you do if an infant was needed full time and they wanted to reserve a spot? How do I say to the one day a week mom "I need you to leave because I have a full time child who needs care and your one day is preventing that from happening" Ugh.
cheerfuldom 08:22 PM 02-24-2013
I would let the mom know that you are needing to fill this spot due to financial concerns. she is welcome to send her child full time (and pay for it!) otherwise you will need to let them go. You cannot keep the whole week open for a child that is only coming one day (it would be rare to get a four day a weeker that is willing to fill in the days she doesnt send her child....especially if this part timer does not use the same day each week). It really doesnt even matter if she understands what is happening. The point is that you can no longer provide care for one day a week. She can adjust to what you can provide or find a new provider. This way it is her choice to stay or leave and not you kicking her out
Starburst 08:41 PM 02-24-2013
You should tell her that since she is part time (technically I would consider it more like a 'drop in' because it's only one day a week and seems like it can be very flexible) that full time schedules get first priority. You can offer her a full time slot and let her have a chance to fill it (and pay the slot) but let her know that if she doesn't you will need that you will probably need that spot for a full-timer.

Remember that this is still a business and you are providing a service that was primarily designed for those in need of child care while they are at work or school. Yes sometimes SAHM's need breaks too- but honestly I come from a single mom home and I know how hard it can be to find good and productive child care option while you are at work; I was a latch-key kid since I was 8 and I always watched my little brother while my mom worked at nights. I am not saying that I would not take a SAHP who needed only one day a week as a client but if I had candidates with one parent or 2 working parents that needed full time care I think that they have a more serious need for child care and yes, it would be a better financial move for me, my business, and my family.

Since she is a SAHM and only needs care once a week to 'get a break' it shouldn't be too hard for her to find a 'mother's helper' (I just currently got a job doing this) who can help her around the house and even babysit for a few hours once in a while so she she runs errands or have 'me time' (it would cost a full time working parent at least 10x more a week). She could possibly also look into co-ops where her and other stay-at-home parents take turns watching each other's kids a few hours a week the other moms can catch a break- some churches also have this (it's free so they don't need a license).
MsLaura529 04:58 AM 02-25-2013
I agree with the others ... Let her know that full-time spots get first priority when it comes to your business. Offer the spot to her first, since she is currently a client. If she doesn't take it, then suggest something like Starburst said - maybe she can find a mother's helper, or a college student who would be willing to watch her child on an "off day" from class.
canadiancare 05:56 AM 02-25-2013
I would only ever be willing to take part time if I had an open spot. Full-time always trumps for me since if I am open anyway I prefer to be full.
countrymom 05:57 AM 02-25-2013
full time trumps part time. You can give her the option of going to full time, if she doesn't then she is going to need to find someone else.
blessed mom 06:24 AM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
full time trumps part time. You can give her the option of going to full time, if she doesn't then she is going to need to find someone else.
I agree with what you all said! The reason I took the one day a week (every Monday) is because I had an open slot. But (praise God) I am looking at possibly being full in the fall as I'm getting lots of infant calls! I just wasn't sure exactly how to word it, but offering her the full time slot seems very reasonable and then it's more of her decision. Thanks guys!!!
cheerfuldom 12:22 PM 02-25-2013
and I am sure there are tons of options for her if she just needs a break. even a teen babysitter in the evening, moms morning out type program, two morning a week preschool, other drop in daycare options. she has A LOT more options than the average working parent because she doesnt have to be anywhere on a particular day. she can find childcare of other days or other times and just adjust. really, i wouldnt feel bad about terming at all. a SAHM that needs "a break"? wow, must be nice.
WDW 12:42 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
and I am sure there are tons of options for her if she just needs a break. even a teen babysitter in the evening, moms morning out type program, two morning a week preschool, other drop in daycare options. she has A LOT more options than the average working parent because she doesnt have to be anywhere on a particular day. she can find childcare of other days or other times and just adjust. really, i wouldnt feel bad about terming at all. a SAHM that needs "a break"? wow, must be nice.
Pretty much what I was going to say. I would NOT pass up full time for one day a week at all, but esp. for a SAHM who can adj. Not ripping on SAHM's at all, but you are talking four more paid days a week! I'm sure she will totally understand....
Tags:full time vs part time, sahm, stay at home mom, terming
Reply Up