Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>RUDE New Family
mamadaycare 06:41 AM 10-07-2020
I very recently posted about having families that were disrespectful of my time. Well I decided to change my hours, which didn't go over well for the ones that were abusing them. But I started a new family, baby is 8 months old, mom does not want to start him until 12 months. We agreed that they would pay weekly until he starts. Mom said in the interview that there may be days where he has to come because grandma has things come up. I told her that was fine but just to let me know in advance. Well we are the first week into her paying and she texts me yesterday and says, "Baby boy will be coming to you this Friday, I will write out a schedule for you. I will also bring tylenol as he is fussy from possibly cutting teeth."

Am I crazy for being unhappy for the way she approached me about it? I feel like it was a demand and not kind at all. Of course her son has a spot here, she pays for that. But I felt that it was so disrespectful. I can not stop thinking about it, it has bothered me so much. How do I say something? If this is how they are going to treat me regularly I don't want them. I am already having thoughts of terming them.

Thoughts?

Also I just opened my in home in August so while I would love to be picky I can't always
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 10-07-2020
I do not allow children to attend if they require medication of ANY kind. Too much liability.
If he needs Tylenol to make it through the day, he needs to be home with his parents.

I also require parents to provide a written weekly schedule of days their child will attend. My parents pay weekly but that doesn't mean they can pick and choose attendance on a whim. That simply means they DO have access to every day of the week but ONLY if they schedule it.

I plan menus, activities and many other things around who is or isn't going to be in attendance so a last minute change requires me to reshuffle all my plans. I make sure to let parents know that while they do have access to care all week it is still required that they schedule and any changes they want to make may or may not be accommodated depending.

Rates are based on enrollment NOT on time used or attendance.
nannyde 07:10 AM 10-07-2020
I wouldn't be upset about her texting about him coming Friday. I would think the more the grandma has a break the quicker she is going to want the baby to just come full time to your house. Grandma having the option to back out is now on the table. Also, the baby is most likely mobile which is the number one impetus to get Granny over the responsibility. It's a process but I would guess within a month the grandma will surrender.

Now the Tylenol is hard NO NO NO NO. You need to tell her you don't administer Tylenol except with a Doctor's note and only as a rescue medication to be given should the child spike a high fever and be in the "febrile seizure" range... with the understanding the parent comes IMMEDIATELY to pick the child up.

You must have ALL children attending every day fever free without the aid of antipyretics. You can't assess if a child is fever free if they have pain medication that includes fever reducing medication. It's really dangerous especially during a pandemic. Also, I do not believe Tylenol is a recommended PRN med for teething as it delays the break through of the tooth. Ask Cathearder as she is most likely the most up to date on changing recommendations.

Tylenol is very very hard on the kidneys. Parents believe it's no biggie but it is not good for babies unless ordered by a doctor and followed up with assessments.

Time to get your illness policy shored up before the kid starts full time which will be soon if they are paying for it.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 10-07-2020
"possibly cutting teeth" That would make me super nervous...especially in this pandemic. How does the parent KNOW it is just teeth and not a fever or something else?

If they don't know then you shouldn't accept the child into care if they have a temp or are cranky or uncomfortable.

I would approach that situation from that standpoint.

It's also unfair for the parent to know their child needs medication to make it through the day yet pass him off to you. That is unacceptable.
Unregistered 08:22 AM 10-07-2020
Reply back that you look forward to seeing them on Friday and provide your daycare schedule. Explain that over the counter medications are not permitted to be brought into the daycare and that at no time should a child arrive with fever reducer or pain medications in their system unless prescribed by a doctor and discussed with you in advance.
mamadaycare 10:56 AM 10-07-2020
So I sent a text to the mom saying, If baby boy can not participate in daily activities or needs medication to get through the day that he can not attend daycare. With the pandemic happening I need to be extra cautious for all the families in my care as well as my own. She said she completely understands and he hasnt had any tylenol and is acting fine, no fever. When she told me not even 24 hours prior that he was not doing well and needed tylenol. I will be updating my contract for next year and it will include that I do not administer any medications for the sake of keeping them comfortable. If that is required then they need to stay home.
springv 11:26 AM 10-07-2020
We have a policy that states that if a child requires medication then they need to have a medication form filled out completely with what time they had it at home and what time they are suppose to have it at the center and it cannot have as needed because licensing considers that a blanket form and that's a big NO NO! We have a child that hs to take breathing treatments and the parents provide everything. All we have to do is make sure the form is filled out and signed
Sunshine69 11:47 AM 10-07-2020
I am not allowed, per state licensing requirements, to give over-the-counter or prescription medication without specific required training. That training is separate from my licensing requirements and simply allows me to administer medicines. I’ve found the training to be too costly and time consuming for the number of times I’ve had to use it, so I don’t do it anymore.

I have a separate written policy from my contract that sets forth what is acceptable and not acceptable in my daycare. Agreement to that policy is in my contract, that way I can change the policy without making a new contract.

Giving the child Tylenol the first day he is there is just a bad way to start, IMHO. It just encourages the dope and drop routine.
mamadaycare 11:54 AM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
I am not allowed, per state licensing requirements, to give over-the-counter or prescription medication without specific required training. That training is separate from my licensing requirements and simply allows me to administer medicines. I’ve found the training to be too costly and time consuming for the number of times I’ve had to use it, so I don’t do it anymore.

I have a separate written policy from my contract that sets forth what is acceptable and not acceptable in my daycare. Agreement to that policy is in my contract, that way I can change the policy without making a new contract.

Giving the child Tylenol the first day he is there is just a bad way to start, IMHO. It just encourages the dope and drop routine.
Honestly, her doing this makes me want to term them already. If she thinks its acceptable on his first day ever of daycare to send him not feeling well, then she will have no problem doing it all the time. My gut is saying get rid of this family. I am just such a non confrontational person that its hard for me, especially being so new at this. My contract states that I don't need a reason to term them, but I feel like I should have one.
Sunshine69 03:07 PM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by mamadaycare:
Honestly, her doing this makes me want to term them already. If she thinks its acceptable on his first day ever of daycare to send him not feeling well, then she will have no problem doing it all the time. My gut is saying get rid of this family. I am just such a non confrontational person that its hard for me, especially being so new at this. My contract states that I don't need a reason to term them, but I feel like I should have one.
Is this the parent’s first child? I’m wondering if they’ve had any experience with daycare before. It may just be a learning curve.

Eight months after I first opened, I had to take a day off because I got a stomach bug from one of the kids. A mom asked me if I’d call my assistant in to cover for me so she wouldn’t have to miss a day of work. At the time, I was only making $70/day to care for 4 children 12 hours a day. It would have cost me over $130 to pay my assistant minimum wage for the day, plus it was my home that I didn’t want the screaming minions in while I suffered from the stomach bug. I just told her NO. Four years later, she’s my favorite client.

My advice is give it a fair shake, set some boundaries and see how they respond. I’d just let her know what parts of her infants schedule you cannot accommodate. The kids adjust to daycare. Daycare doesn’t adjust to the kid.

If you don’t have a written policy yet, now would be a good time to start one. Just have the parent(s) read it and sign and date a page stating they agree to abide by it.
284878 07:27 PM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
Is this the parent’s first child? I’m wondering if they’ve had any experience with daycare before. It may just be a learning curve.

Eight months after I first opened, I had to take a day off because I got a stomach bug from one of the kids. A mom asked me if I’d call my assistant in to cover for me so she wouldn’t have to miss a day of work. At the time, I was only making $70/day to care for 4 children 12 hours a day. It would have cost me over $130 to pay my assistant minimum wage for the day, plus it was my home that I didn’t want the screaming minions in while I suffered from the stomach bug. I just told her NO. Four years later, she’s my favorite client.

My advice is give it a fair shake, set some boundaries and see how they respond. I’d just let her know what parts of her infants schedule you cannot accommodate. The kids adjust to daycare. Daycare doesn’t adjust to the kid.

If you don’t have a written policy yet, now would be a good time to start one. Just have the parent(s) read it and sign and date a page stating they agree to abide by it.
I agree, she may not be thinking about the whole picture. I think that if you give her a chance she may just surprise you.

Imo "I will write out a schedule for you" could mean something different to her than it does to you. She may be just writing out how many oz of milk at each feeding, what he likes to eat, when he wakes...
Now if she calls you to remind you to feed, change or burp the baby then ... rrrruuuuuuuuunnnnn!!!!
Ariana 07:53 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by mamadaycare:
I would give them another chance personally. It’s their first time at daycare so you need to teach them how to treat you. Enforce your policies, be professional but firm and they will start treating you with respect.
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 10-08-2020
I am odd man out...I say listen to your instincts.

If you do give her a chance, make sure you have (and tell her) a two week trial period where you can terminate immediately for any reason.
AmyKidsCo 01:22 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would give them another chance personally. It’s their first time at daycare so you need to teach them how to treat you. Enforce your policies, be professional but firm and they will start treating you with respect.
ITA. They may not realize about medication, and I didn't think the text was rude. Maybe a little abrupt, but I tend to use the least number of words necessary in texts too. I'm also a person who gets right to business and forgets about the niceties, so maybe she's one of those direct people too.
Tags:red flags, red flare, rude clients, rude parents
Reply Up