Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Three Month Old Just Started Daycare and is Sleeping Mos of the Day - Is this Normal?
Unregistered 05:55 PM 04-21-2010
My son is 12 weeks old. He just started daycare this week. The first day he did really well (I kept him there 1/2 day) and he took two forty minute naps and was up and engaged the rest of the time. Yesterday and today he seemed to only stay up in the AM for one hour and then go to sleep for rest of day (even slept while being fed)...is this normal? Is this just him adjusting and dealing with the stress of daycare??? I am feeling awful enough about sending him to daycare (although I love the center and the woman are wonderful) but now I am worried that I am doing him harm. Please advise on infants reactions to starting daycare so I am able to understand this better.
Daycare Mommy 08:11 PM 04-21-2010
I don't watch infants, so my experience comes from my own children only, but I'm sure some more experienced providers will chime in. My kids slept a LOT at that age. It sounds to me like he may have gotten tuckered out his first day with staying up and with the excitement of being in a new place and perhaps now he's playing catch up on his zzz's. I'd give him more time to adjust and work out his new schedule and see what happens. It is only day 3. Try not to worry.
QualiTcare 09:43 PM 04-21-2010
3 month old babies sleep a LOT! i wouldn't be worried at all.

there's only so much engagement you can provide a 3 month old infant. sure, you can do things with them - but they ARE 3 month olds - and pretty much LOVE to sleep, eat, and go to the bathroom - with a little smiling and playing in between.

i think you're fine.
jen 06:55 AM 04-22-2010
That is awesome that your baby is sleeping so well at daycare! Don't feel badly, he needs his sleep and its wonderful that he is comfortable enough to do so!
tymaboy 07:33 AM 04-22-2010
It all varies by child. I have had little ones sleep almost all day & others that barely slept at all.
HeatherB 08:59 AM 05-17-2010
I would wait a longer.. he is probably adjusting to all the excitment of a new envirnoment. Like another posted stated be thankful he feels comfortable to actually sleep in a new envirnoment!
mismatchedsocks 09:27 AM 05-17-2010
Wow he is sleeping at daycare. The infants I have watched in the past used to cat nap all day, but I am a home daycare with lots of age groups here, so maybe it was the hustle and bustle of it all? At the center is it a baby room? All children about same age? That might help with baby sleeping so good. The babies I had here slept a ton at home, as they were up almost all day here.

I would not be worried, babies at this age need a lot of sleep.
Tags:3 month old, infants, sleeping
Reply Up