Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tummy Time
mamamanda 01:16 PM 01-25-2018
Tips for an infant who hates tummy time? Cries within a minute even if I lay beside her & try to comfort. Her shoulders seem pretty weak & she's not pushing up t all. Can roll over one direction but can't roll back & can't pull arm out from under her once she rolls. Almost 6 mo.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:20 PM 01-25-2018
I would... Roll up a towel or use a boppy pillow under her chest (arm pit level or slightly lower) to give her a little prop up during tummy time. Repeated short tummy times throughout the day. Don't rescue her immediately, but donot make it miserable for everyone either. Also, when not in tummy time no swings or bouncers at all.
Blackcat31 01:27 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Tips for an infant who hates tummy time? Cries within a minute even if I lay beside her & try to comfort. Her shoulders seem pretty weak & she's not pushing up t all. Can roll over one direction but can't roll back & can't pull arm out from under her once she rolls. Almost 6 mo.
Just keep doing it.

Doesn't matter if she likes it or not
Its important. It's also probably why her shoulders lack the ability to support herself...she more than likely doesn't get a lot of tummy time because she clearly doesn't like it.

Just keep doing it.

Get a Boppy pillow or rolled up towel like MMM said above
http://www.boppy.com/babys-developme...of-tummy-time/
mommyneedsadayoff 01:54 PM 01-25-2018
At 6 months I would expect she could get her forearms on the ground and put her head up. I did d it odd not to be fairly good at rolling. Does she have any delays or is it just that she never had to work too hard?
HappyEverAfter 02:06 PM 01-25-2018
Just make her do it. She won’t like it but it will get better and it’s so, so important!
I had two infants (ages 2 and 3 months at the time) that started the same day. One did tummy time regularly and one had parents who said never to do it because it upset the baby’s stomach too much. The one who did do it is so much stronger and so much further along in skill development than the one who’s parents waited until he was almost 6 months old to start doing it. They’re 8 and 9 months old now and the one who did it has been sitting, crawling and standing alone for over 2 months now. I actually expect she will be walking sooner rather than later. The one who didn’t do it couldn’t even roll over unassisted until the end of December and is just now consistently sitting up on his own.
ColorfulSunburst 06:43 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
At 6 months I would expect she could get her forearms on the ground and put her head up. I did d it odd not to be fairly good at rolling. Does she have any delays or is it just that she never had to work too hard?
I am pretty sure she has.
At 6mo many kids are able to sit by themselves and some of them are able to stand up in a crib.
mamamanda 07:07 PM 01-25-2018
She doesn't have any delays other than this, but she's my infant that cries for hours straight every day. She does the same thing at home. I think her stomach hurts which is probably why she doesn't like it, but I'm becoming pretty concerned. I voiced concern about it a month ago b/c I noticed her shoulders seem so weak & mom has been trying to do tummy time daily with her, but she screams the entire time. Not just fusses. She screams. So she only gets about 3 minutes at a time. I try to roll her to her belly for a few minutes after each diaper change, but she totally hates it. She's seen the Dr three times in the last 6 weeks. They keep saying she's a perfectly healthy baby except for her tummy being full of gas.
mamamanda 07:10 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
At 6mo many kids are able to sit by themselves and some of them are able to stand up in a crib.
She does sit supported, but not on her own. She seems to be getting closer to that. When I did the math I realized she isn't 6 mo for 2 more weeks. I thought she was 6 mo next week. Everything else seems on point, I'm just concerned that if we don't get her shoulders strengthen soon she will have several delays as a result.
mamamanda 07:12 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
Just make her do it. She won’t like it but it will get better and it’s so, so important!
I had two infants (ages 2 and 3 months at the time) that started the same day. One did tummy time regularly and one had parents who said never to do it because it upset the baby’s stomach too much. The one who did do it is so much stronger and so much further along in skill development than the one who’s parents waited until he was almost 6 months old to start doing it. They’re 8 and 9 months old now and the one who did it has been sitting, crawling and standing alone for over 2 months now. I actually expect she will be walking sooner rather than later. The one who didn’t do it couldn’t even roll over unassisted until the end of December and is just now consistently sitting up on his own.
This is what I'm concerned about.
CalCare 07:25 PM 01-25-2018
I don't do tummy time. I also don't do any swings, or bouncy seat or boppy or anything. Baby goes on floor, on their back and eventually work to roll over.
http://www.janetlansbury.com/2011/08...ne-gutteridge/
nannyde 07:50 PM 01-25-2018
https://youtu.be/NnnKGK1mWBA
LysesKids 08:07 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
I do infant only & most mine cannot stand solo... with help, yes (Like I hold their hands); & many don't sit until 7 months... Now I do have the ones that do regular tummy time, can roll across the floor & on & off nap mats (TN requires littles be on mats for naps at 12 months) so they do get around lol. My youngest has found his way into the play room & isn't quite 6 months, but he can't sit solo
Ariana 12:46 AM 01-26-2018
With my own kids I did tummy time on my chest at first to get then used to it. I would lie down on a bed, sofa or floor with my chest propped up slightly. They loved looking at my face. Then they went to a breastfeeding pillow and then floor. They were both sitting unassisted by 5.5 months.

You could try the chest (if possible!) but know that most infants hate tummy time because it is hard work!
mamamanda 04:19 AM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
With my own kids I did tummy time on my chest at first to get then used to it. I would lie down on a bed, sofa or floor with my chest propped up slightly. They loved looking at my face. Then they went to a breastfeeding pillow and then floor. They were both sitting unassisted by 5.5 months.

You could try the chest (if possible!) but know that most infants hate tummy time because it is hard work!
I'll try this today. Thank you! I loaned my boppy pillow to a friend who had twins, but I will look into getting another one to use as well.
Homebody 06:58 AM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I don't do tummy time. I also don't do any swings, or bouncy seat or boppy or anything. Baby goes on floor, on their back and eventually work to roll over.
I found this article when my son was an infant and we were having trouble with tummy time. It gave me more insight on why he hated it so much. He also had reflux, and his head size was in the 99% because of enlarged brain ventricles. So he had a very difficult time lifting his head up because it was too heavy for him, and adding in his stomach troubles tummy time just didn't mesh well with him. It got to the point where if we even laid him on the floor on his back he would start screaming because he thought we were going to make him lay on his stomach. After I read this article I decided to quit doing tummy time. When he was almost 5 months he started trying to roll on his belly all on his own. When he reached 6 months he was rolling all over the place. This was also around the time his reflux started to let up. Before this though we did alternatives to tummy time to build up neck strength. We would lay on our backs with our legs bent towards our chest and lay him on top of our legs. Or when we would carry him we would fly him around like super man.

My daughter didn't have the same issues as my son and loved tummy time. So, if this child is screaming when placed on her belly then I'm thinking its causing her pain and discomfort. I know if I'm bloated or gassed up the last thing I would want to do is lay on my stomach.

Do you know if she has been to a gastroenterologist?
mommyneedsadayoff 07:04 AM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
She doesn't have any delays other than this, but she's my infant that cries for hours straight every day. She does the same thing at home. I think her stomach hurts which is probably why she doesn't like it, but I'm becoming pretty concerned. I voiced concern about it a month ago b/c I noticed her shoulders seem so weak & mom has been trying to do tummy time daily with her, but she screams the entire time. Not just fusses. She screams. So she only gets about 3 minutes at a time. I try to roll her to her belly for a few minutes after each diaper change, but she totally hates it. She's seen the Dr three times in the last 6 weeks. They keep saying she's a perfectly healthy baby except for her tummy being full of gas.
Do they know why she is so gassy? Does she drink breast milk or formula? At 6 months, I guess it would be odd to me that she would be so upset anytime she is on her tummy. Most babies would be content for at least a few minutes to look in a mirror or try reaching for toys, ect. To just scream makes it almost seem like something hurts. More than just having it be hardwork, know what I mean? Either she is just lazy, in which case I would follow nannyde's video advice(adorable baby in the video!), or something's up and she needs to be evaluated and maybe a diet change will make her more comfortable.
mamamanda 08:19 AM 01-26-2018
Do they know why she is so gassy? Does she drink breast milk or formula? At 6 months, I guess it would be odd to me that she would be so upset anytime she is on her tummy. Most babies would be content for at least a few minutes to look in a mirror or try reaching for toys, ect. To just scream makes it almost seem like something hurts. More than just having it be hardwork, know what I mean? Either she is just lazy, in which case I would follow nannyde's video advice(adorable baby in the video!), or something's up and she needs to be evaluated and maybe a diet change will make her more comfortable.
She drinks breast milk. She cries whether she's on her back or belly either one, but tummy time is full on screaming. Honestly, the last 3 weeks had been the worst. She cries any time she's awake. Several days she only got 9 or 10 hours of sleep the entire day b/c she cries & won't settle. So overly tired on top of everything. Dr did x-rays on Tuesday & said her belly is very full of trapped gas. I don't know what would make a baby chronically gassy enough to scream for more than 10 hours daily unless it's an allergy of some sort. Anyway, we've been googling like crazy & utilizing advice I got on this sight to treat the
gas & she's been pleasant for the last 2 days. Her mom almost cried when she walked in & found her smiling yesterday.
Sunchimes 12:48 PM 01-26-2018
You can also do tummy time across your lap (sideways). My gassy baby would tolerate that when tummy time had the whole daycare in sympathy tears.
mamamanda 01:41 PM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
You can also do tummy time across your lap (sideways). My gassy baby would tolerate that when tummy time had the whole daycare in sympathy tears.
I'll try that too! I did tummy time on my chest today & she actually smiled & seemed fairly content for about 5 minutes. That's progress. And she did turn her head sise to side, but it seems like such a struggle for her. I'll try across my lap on Monday.
LK5kids 01:41 AM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I love Janet L but what's the difference with laying baby on tummy or back? Is back felt to be more natural? Either way they learn to roll over the other direction.

What's interesting is back in the day when babies were placed on tummy to sleep they never fussed like they do now for tummy time.
Tags:infants, tummy time
Reply Up