Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rules About Using Your Electrical Outlets?
Great Beginnings 05:13 AM 02-17-2014
Just curious what your rules are about allowing children to charge things in your home?

On days off I used to allow school agers to use my outlets to charge their games. However, all summer long I had to keep after them to put the outlet protectors back in and they would end up getting lost because they would just leave them. I warned them they would soon not be allowed to use them. So last school break, after needing to buy a new package, I decided children could no longer use the plugs and told them.

Today, a mother was all upset because her kid couldn't charge his game! I explained to her I have a little one year old who likes to play with the outlet and after repeatedly asking them, I just can't keep allowing them to put her at risk. The kids, (who is 10) starts to cry for like ten minutes. The mother asked if I could charge it. I said I would do it this once but I can't make a habbit of it. She didn't see the big deal I was making. One, use your own darn electric to charge your kids game. Two. I don't have enough spare outlets to plug in everyone's games. Three, I don't want to be responsbile to checking to see that no one touches it or takes it off the counter.

I just don't get why instead of getting upset with me for protecting a one year old baby you don't tell your kid he should have been more responsible here and will now need to make sure it's charged at night??
Play Care 05:22 AM 02-17-2014
I will not charge devices at my home. I did when I first started but have since changed my policy to say that if they bring devices they much come fully charged and I will not charge them if they "die" from use. I only allow them at quiet time though.

In your case I'd be tempted to say no more devices. A 10 yo crying because he was told no?! Shameful!
Great Beginnings 05:25 AM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
In your case I'd be tempted to say no more devices. A 10 yo crying because he was told no?! Shameful!
Right!!! And then the mom sat there hugging him and rubbing his back saying it's not fair!

What's not fair?? Your child, among others, disregarded not only my rules but the safety of an infant and is now learning consequences!
Play Care 05:33 AM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Great Beginnings:
Right!!! And then the mom sat there hugging him and rubbing his back saying it's not fair!

What's not fair?? Your child, among others, disregarded not only my rules but the safety of an infant and is now learning consequences!
That is so disrespectful!
LadyPearl 05:37 AM 02-17-2014
Make a policy! I don't have one yet but will create one when necessary. I wouldn't use my electricity. Bills are high enough with the extra people in our homes!
morgan24 05:49 AM 02-17-2014
They have to bring them charged. I only let school age use them and only at nap and a 10 year old crying over something like that wouldn't get to play with it at all today and dcms behave is just as bad!
BumbleBee 06:19 AM 02-17-2014
Both of my school age dck have ipods. They are welcome to use specific outlets to charge their ipods with their own chargers. However, there are some ground rules.

1. Outlet covers go back in immediately. I find one out, no ipod for 5 daycare days.

2. Pick up your stuff (charger & headphones specifically). It gets left out, they earn it back through chores.

3. Don't you dare leave your charger plugged in w/o your ipod on it. I find an empty charger plugged in and no charger for 5 daycare days.
melonieb 06:49 AM 02-17-2014
I don't allow outside game systems. I let me parent know at the interview. I am considered old school and we have tons of books, games, and other activities to keep the kids occupied other than electronics. My own children 8-9 do not have electronic games. So I have no worries about the outlets
Leigh 07:06 AM 02-17-2014
I just ban outside toys and electronics altogether.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I just ban outside toys and electronics altogether.

llpa 07:27 AM 02-17-2014
I agree w banning outside electronics. I try to use that time w SA to encourage face to face interaction and actual old school brainpower I provide some brainteasers , 3D puzzles and they play preschool level games w the little ones. Don't get me wrong, I love devices and I know they are used in school. But in their short time w me, I expect actual interaction from them
dalman 07:44 AM 02-17-2014
I don't allow outside electronic devices for several reasons. 1. The charging cords are a strangulation hazard to the littles. 2. I am not babysitting these electronic devices to insure they do not get broken. 3. I am tired of trying to find the game cartridges that are the size of a quarter, and cost $50. 4. Some of the boys get extremely aggressive while playing them and even for a time afterward. 5. The ones playing them want to control who can watch and who can not.

I have leapsters, leap pads, leap books, and the iReader. I control when they come out, who plays and where they sit. They are educational, yet fun, but not aggressive. I limit their screen time due to studies that show screen time increases brain growth in the portion of the brain responsible for aggression.
Great Beginnings 08:07 AM 02-17-2014
Today is a day off btw. They don't bring electronics or items from home on school days because I will Not be responsible for the items while they are gone at school. I only allow them to bring the electronics because it makes nap time go much more smoothly once they get bored of games and coloring. I get VERY annoyed when they wake up the little ones!

I let the boy know this morning if he was going to cry and cause a sceen or have his mother talk to me about MY house rules again I would not allow the use of electronics at all in the future. He spent a good half hour in the corner crying and then finally decided to join the other kids and play.
Josiegirl 10:20 AM 02-17-2014
Oh good grief, that mom is creating yet another entitled future adult. Ugh, like we need more of them.
To answer your question I let them charge their electronics but seeing so many set firm rules about it, I'm going to start that this summer when all the older kids return. I'm always harping on them about covering the outlets when they're done, or unplugging their cords after charging. I think I'll do the 'no ipod for 5 days' too. Not a bad idea. It's pathetic really. Some of the kids cannot turn around without checking their phone or whatever. Seriously? At age 8 or 9?
daycarediva 10:47 AM 02-17-2014
I have ONE outlet in the daycare space that is the safety protected outlet (have to turn it to put the plug in). Dck's (and my own kids) are allowed to use THAT OUTLET ONLY and ONLY at nap (no cords hanging or lost devices). Dcb brings his ipad, takes good care of it, follows rules and goes back in his cubby after nap. No issues.
Great Beginnings 12:55 PM 02-17-2014
So it gets worse!!

So mom felt so bad for the boy that he didn't have his game charged she had dad leave work early and pick him up at noon so he could go home and relax! Sad thing was, he was on the system for 2 hours already and the battery wasn't close to dying.

So they decided they will take turns taking the rest of the week off so the kids can stay home and enjoy break. Then asked how much they owed me. Ummm, you reserved the spot right?? You owe it all duh!!

How do they expect this child to function at a higher level of education or a job even! Things are not always going to be his way
Play Care 01:16 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Great Beginnings:
So it gets worse!!

So mom felt so bad for the boy that he didn't have his game charged she had dad leave work early and pick him up at noon so he could go home and relax! Sad thing was, he was on the system for 2 hours already and the battery wasn't close to dying.

So they decided they will take turns taking the rest of the week off so the kids can stay home and enjoy break. Then asked how much they owed me. Ummm, you reserved the spot right?? You owe it all duh!!

How do they expect this child to function at a higher level of education or a job even! Things are not always going to be his way
Oh my goodness!!! I would cancel your subscription cause you don't need their issues!!!
Great Beginnings 01:20 PM 02-17-2014
I placed an ad looking for new clients today so I can term. Not sure what the issue is. I've had this famiy for 2 years with out a single problem! But if my experience tells me anything it's that this is just the beginning of their problems
TwinKristi 01:22 PM 02-17-2014
Wow! How does he do at school all day without it? I would liken it to school and just like you can't play on your DS or iPod all day at school, you can't at daycare either. Plus isn't NY one of the states that limits screen time at DC?

As far as what they owe... Um yeah, the same thing you owed this morning! LOL
Great Beginnings 01:26 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Wow! How does he do at school all day without it? I would liken it to school and just like you can't play on your DS or iPod all day at school, you can't at daycare either. Plus isn't NY one of the states that limits screen time at DC?

As far as what they owe... Um yeah, the same thing you owed this morning! LOL
Yes, limited screen time is coming. I know it specifically states TV but I don't remember what it says about outside systems being carried in. I'll have to print it out for mom lol!
Lucy 01:41 PM 02-17-2014
I currently have ages 5-10. I let them charge. I have outlet covers that don't come off when you use the outlet, so no risk of not putting one back in.

When I had younger kids, I would charge devices in the kitchen for them so that they sat on the counter - no cords dangling. But now that they're all 5 1/2 to 10 1/2, they can put it wherever. They even sit on the floor and use the device while it's plugged in.

And no, I don't let them be on it all day long. I'm sure someone would think that! We go to the library, to the lego store, the park (or McDonald's playland if it's raining or cold), and they spend time reading or playing board games, etc.

I have no problem with them bringing devices and charging them if need be. I don't sweat the small stuff....
Cradle2crayons 01:59 PM 02-17-2014
The only thing I charge here is my special dcg feeding pump. Other than that, heck no.

No outside electrical devices are allowed here. No exceptions.

As for my personal stuff or my own kids stuff, I have a charging space on my counter set aside just to charge things.

During daycare time, I don't feel they need all that. They have time for that at home.

Don't get me wrong, I do allow tv (selected shows) occasionally, as I'm not totally anal about stuff like that, but I think kids get enough electronics at home. They don't need it here. Not to mention the liability of it all.
sharlan 03:59 PM 02-17-2014
I've always allowed them to use the outlets on my kitchen counter. They use a negligible amount of electricity. I put a stop to games when my one boy (10, now gone) was playing adult level games. I told him/Dad/Grandma 3xs that he could not play those games at my house. They didn't listen so I banned the games all together.
daycare 04:07 PM 02-17-2014
When I worked at a daycamp many moons ago their rule was once your game system died you had to put it away and find something else to do. Basically it was a way to get them to charge it at home and then go out and play.
Tags:electricity, ipod, school age care, technology, video games
Reply Up