Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I say something to this DCM?
deliberateliterate 12:01 PM 05-30-2014
I'm 90% sure I'm closing in the fall. Both my kids will officially be in school full days, and being home with them is the only reason I'm doing this. I like each of the kids I watch individually, but I just can't do it anymore, nor do I want to.

This DCM was one of my first families, and we've become friendly (I know, I know). Her older daughter who I watch sometimes in the summer and PD days is BFFs with my daughter. They are at each other's houses all the time. DCM just told me yesterday that she is thinking of sending her D to me after school. I was non-committal, I just commented on how much my daughter would LOVE it. I'm loosing one kid in the summer, and another one in the fall, so she knows I'd have the room, so I have no good reason for saying no.

Should I mention to her that I'm thinking of closing? The timing totally depends on when I find a job, and it could be months and months before I find something suitable. I don't want her to leave as then I'd be down 3 kids out of 5, and I don't plan on replacing anyone since I'd feel terribly dishonest.

WWYD?? Advice?? TIA!
MyAngels 12:36 PM 05-30-2014
I wouldn't say anything until I had a definite closing plan in place. So much can change between now and then, and I wouldn't want anyone pulling their kids until I was sure of a closing date.
sugar buzz 12:41 PM 05-30-2014
You could tell her that the lower numbers are working for you and your family, so you're not looking to replace those leaving. This is what I told my DCFs. Now, I'm down to one for the summer and starting my Master's Degree in the fall.
Crazy8 12:42 PM 05-30-2014
I thought I'd close when my youngest started school…. 3 years later I am still doing this. So I wouldn't say anything just yet. Maybe mid-summer when you have a better idea of what you'll be doing in the fall you can give the heads up that you are thinking about finding a job. Around here the after care programs don't fill up till just a few weeks before school starts so finding alternate care for a SA'er wouldn't be too hard.
cheerfuldom 02:26 PM 05-30-2014
I would keep going as is. Going back to work outside the home is a vague idea right now, nothing concrete so there is nothing wrong with continuing as is with the family. Once you find a new job, which could be months from now, give a two weeks notice letting families know that plans have changed. Everyone will just have to deal with it. Life and jobs are challenging enough without basing decisions on daycare families (who will leave in a second if they get a better situation.....). Do what is best for you and your family.
Tags:closing daycare
Reply Up