Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! Sick child....
Logged out for privacy 09:08 AM 11-04-2013
Ok so we all know when one kid gets sick it goes around and around.... I have a sick policy in place and am very strict with it.... Here's the situation.... DCK has been coming again since school restarted.... About 3 days a week.... I am not kidding when I say atleast once every single week I have had to have mom pick up due to fever... also accompanied with a nasty cough and snotty nose type thing.... I am BEYOND frustrated at this point as I am tired of the exposure pattern... I have an infant of my own in the home and am tired of him getting sick as a result... not to mention tired of disinfecting MORE than usual due to being a germaphob myself.... I have never had a situation like this one so I am at a loss..... all I know is that I was once a working parent too and it put it in a hard spot when your kids are sick so I get it... BUT... I have also had it.... WWYD?
JoseyJo 09:20 AM 11-04-2013
I have the same thing happening this year- in the past we always had parents who WANTED to keep their sick kids home so they would rest and recuperate. We have a new group of parents this year and they are much more interested in sending their sick kids to daycare. Honestly I think it must be because they don't want to deal with their own sick kid. For my families I know it is not for a lack of sick days- they are all white collar or SAH (except for 1 and she NEVER brings her child when he is sick!)
daycarediva 09:38 AM 11-04-2013
I would request a drs note for an ongoing issue. Other than that, not much you can do except term.

As a parent, I would be concerned about his immune system if he has been sick weekly for atleast 6 weeks.
Blackcat31 11:09 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by Logged out for privacy:
Ok so we all know when one kid gets sick it goes around and around.... I have a sick policy in place and am very strict with it.... Here's the situation.... DCK has been coming again since school restarted.... About 3 days a week.... I am not kidding when I say atleast once every single week I have had to have mom pick up due to fever... also accompanied with a nasty cough and snotty nose type thing.... I am BEYOND frustrated at this point as I am tired of the exposure pattern... I have an infant of my own in the home and am tired of him getting sick as a result... not to mention tired of disinfecting MORE than usual due to being a germaphob myself.... I have never had a situation like this one so I am at a loss..... all I know is that I was once a working parent too and it put it in a hard spot when your kids are sick so I get it... BUT... I have also had it.... WWYD?
I am assuming it is the same drawn out cold/cough that dcg has that is causing her to be sent home?

If that is the case, do NOT allow her to return until she has seen a doctor and brought you a note back explaining DIAGNOSIS and TREATMENT PLAN.

NOT a permission slip to return. YOU get to decide that NOT the doctor.

I require my parents to see a Dr if an illness and/or symptoms continue beyond a week. I write down ALL symptoms I have witnessed and ask the parent to bring that note to the Dr and have them fill it out. (I have attached it if you want to use it)

If the child is being sent home with a fever, require she stay home for 48 hours AFTER fever/symptoms have disappeared. If parents keep her home on their own accord, have her stay out until 24 hours fever/symptom free.

Having the 48 hour requirement helps parents use their best judgment as well as allows the child to not be re-exposed when she is already a bit under the weather, thus causing the whole cycle to begin again.

48 hours out of care if sent home from daycare
24 hours out of care if parent keeps them home from daycare.

It really really works.
Tags:forms, health care provider evaluation form, sick policy
Reply Up