Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playroom Size
Cat Herder 06:24 AM 06-28-2011
What is the square footage of your indoor play room, minus furniture??

How many kids do you keep?
SuperNinjaMommy 06:37 AM 06-28-2011
Mine is 12x12 and I keep 6. However they can also bring a few toys out into the family room which is 20x16
nannyde 06:51 AM 06-28-2011
Does that include toys or just bare floor space?
sharlan 07:00 AM 06-28-2011
Right now, my kids pretty much have free access to 3,000 sq ft. The entire upstairs is off limits during the day. Their playroom, alone, is just under 400 sq ft.

They have their own playroom with tons of toys, the formal dining room is set up for a classroom. My formal living room has I table that I rotate blocks, puzzles, etc on. They seem to play mostly in the family room, dragging the toys from the playroom. Then of course, there's the kitchen and dining area. The kitchen has an island and they like to ride their little ride ons around there and through the dining, living, and family rooms.

I did daycare for 22 yrs in a 1,000 sq ft house. The kids had access to about 600 sq ft.
SuperNinjaMommy 07:12 AM 06-28-2011
that's with toys, they can also bring out the toys in the family room where I play the educational movies, they can color at the kitchen table, play computer games for the older kids at my dining room table and read in the living room during free play time. Basically my downstairs is 1500 sq ft and they have access to all rooms but they pretty much stay in the toy room and family room.
Meeko 07:26 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Does that include toys or just bare floor space?
Welcome back!
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 06-28-2011
My daycare space is right around 1100 square feet.

(We have no furniture except a child size stop sign shaped table with 8 chairs and one Little Tikes table with 4 chairs)

I keep 12-14 full timers during summer months and 10-12full timers during the school year.

The kids have access to the whole house.
morgan24 07:36 AM 06-28-2011
I have 700 square feet of dedicated daycare space in my basement. Upstairs I have 1360 square feet. They use the bedrooms for naps and the living and dining room. I usually have 6 kids.
Meeko 07:51 AM 06-28-2011
Our facility is just under 1700 square feet on one level. The kids (16) have almost all that space. My son lives here, but uses only one bedroom as his private space. The rest belongs to the kids.

master bedroom = large playroom for babies and toddlers. Low storage units divide the room and make a wall so that babies can be corralled and bigger kids can still go back and forth to the bathroom. Large walk-in closet is now a playhouse!

master bathroom = kids bathroom with changing table built over the tub. Kids blankets are stored underneath in the tub. Separate shower stall is not used...has been lined with shelves and is used as a storage closet!

dining room = lunch room/art room with kid size tables and chairs

living room = open play area with slide/climber, log cabin playhouse etc. This equipment used to be outside. Now we can use it year round and the kids can still climb, jump etc when the weather does not allow outside play and get their wiggles out!

den = playroom with blocks, lego's, cars etc in clear drawers for easy access

small bathroom = staff only bathroom

bedroom = media room/library. All our books, videos etc.

I have painted large murals all over the walls...it's the kids place. Baby room has a Noah's Ark theme. Living room play area has an outdoor feel and woodland theme with trees, bears etc. Media room has a Hollywood theme. Bathroom has a ocean theme. Den has a Americana school house theme.
Michelle 08:07 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Our facility is just under 1700 square feet on one level. The kids (16) have almost all that space. My son lives here, but uses only one bedroom as his private space. The rest belongs to the kids.

master bedroom = large playroom for babies and toddlers. Low storage units divide the room and make a wall so that babies can be corralled and bigger kids can still go back and forth to the bathroom. Large walk-in closet is now a playhouse!

master bathroom = kids bathroom with changing table built over the tub. Kids blankets are stored underneath in the tub. Separate shower stall is not used...has been lined with shelves and is used as a storage closet!

living room = open play area with slide/climber, log cabin playhouse etc. This equipment used to be outside. Now we can use it year round and the kids can still climb, jump etc when the weather does not allow outside play and get their wiggles out!

I have painted large murals all over the walls...it's the kids place. Baby room has a Noah's Ark theme. Living room play area has an outdoor feel and woodland theme with trees, bears etc. Media room has a Hollywood theme. Bathroom has a ocean theme. Den has a Americana school house theme.
wow! I would love to see pictures!
That's something I have always wanted to do... themes!!
I guess I'm a little selfish because I like my home to look like MY home, the kids playroom is all decked out like a daycare of course and we sorta have a princess theme and the outdoor toddler area looks awesome but my living room is super nice and doesn't even look like kids live here! lol nothing breakable or dangerous just really nice.
they have about 1000 square feet of play space indoors if you include the fenced in toddler area. We have 12 kids usually in the summer.
Meeko 08:15 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
wow! I would love to see pictures!
That's something I have always wanted to do... themes!!
I guess I'm a little selfish because I like my home to look like MY home, the kids playroom is all decked out like a daycare of course and we sorta have a princess theme and the outdoor toddler area looks awesome but my living room is super nice and doesn't even look like kids live here! lol nothing breakable or dangerous just really nice.
they have about 1000 square feet of play space indoors if you include the fenced in toddler area. We have 12 kids usually in the summer.
We're working on a web site and getting pics taken. I will post a few when we get it done.

I am just lucky to be able to do it this way. We moved out of the day care house (our son lives there now) and bought our dream house in the next city after 25 years of saving. My house is about an UN-baby proof as you can get! I love the two different worlds!
e.j. 11:34 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
What is the square footage of your indoor play room, minus furniture??

How many kids do you keep?
Mine is 20x20. I can watch 6 kids at any given time.
Michelle 11:36 AM 06-28-2011
We're working on a web site and getting pics taken. I will post a few when we get it done.

I am just lucky to be able to do it this way. We moved out of the day care house (our son lives there now) and bought our dream house in the next city after 25 years of saving. My house is about an UN-baby proof as you can get! I love the two different worlds!
so cool they let you do that!
here in calif. we have to live in the daycare.
looking forward to your website.
JenNJ 12:24 PM 06-28-2011
My dedicated daycare room is 600 sq ft. I care for 5 dck and my daughter.
Meeko 12:45 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
so cool they let you do that!
here in calif. we have to live in the daycare.
looking forward to your website.
It's the same here in Utah. My son is the licensee because of that rule even though I rule the roost!!!
sahm2three 12:47 PM 06-28-2011
Toddler room upstairs is about 500 to 600 sq ft. There are 4 to 6 kids there at a time. Down stairs, the 4 and ups area is about 1200 sq ft and there are usually 3 to 4 kids down there at any given time.
Lianne 01:32 PM 06-28-2011

I would love to wander around your daycare for a couple hours. It sounds like an awesome place!
Lianne 01:54 PM 06-28-2011
My house is about 900sq ft, total. It's a small, two bedroom war bungalow. The front door is in the livingroom (no foyer) and the babies/toddlers play here. My computer desk, couch, tv and recliner are in this room and up until three months ago, I didn't own a couch. I prefered having the space for the daycare kids but once I separated the big kids from the little kids play areas, I had the space for a couch.

The master bedroom is right next to the living room and is designated for the older kids. The toys in that room tend to have smaller pieces. The big kids nap in that room as well. I measured the living room and master bedroom when I moved in 5yrs ago and I think the living room measured 17x20ft and the master bedroom measured 14x17ft but I'm not positive.

The kitchen is used for mealtimes, art, manipulative play, sensory activities, etc. I have two large pantry cupboards holding our manipulative toys and another holding art supplies. Just past the kitchen is the washroom and a small alcove across from the washroom for the washer and dryer. Past that you can turn right into my (very small) bedroom or left into the backroom/utility/storage room. In my bedroom is my double bed and a playpen. The closet holds my dresser and hanging clothes. Over top of the playpen are long shelves that hold extra bins of toys and resources. In the backroom I have another playpen set up. There is no door on this room but I use a dark curtain to block light/sound at naptime. Also in the backroom is my upright freezer, shelves on the walls and book cases holding....crap, lol. I have extra paper goods, small kitchen appliances (crockpots, etc), sewing machine, and strollers stored in that room. The door to the backyard is alo there which is kept closed and locked at naptime. I have a basement, cellar really, that isn't usable. The furnace is down there but the walls and floor are dirt and its damp and spidery. The door to get into the basement is in the floor of the back room, lol.

I finally went at Christmas and rented a storage unit to house extra daycare stuff. It's mostly larger items like train tables, an art desk, extra tables, baby equipment, etc. as well as my Christmas stuff. I am so glad I have it though! It's so convenient, a tax write off and worth every penny!
Tags:play room, square footage
Reply Up