Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>LOD: Florida Deputy Dies From Infection Contracted While Doing Infant CPR
Cat Herder 10:55 AM 03-18-2011
CHRIS MARTINEZ, ABC Action News | | Friday, March 18, 2011

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - After 11 years on the job, 40-year-old Deputy Sebastian Diana died last weekend in the line of duty.

But Diana did not lose his life the way most people might think. He was responding to a 911 call, trying to save a baby's life by performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

The 3-month-old child didn't make it and the Orange County Sheriff's Office said Diana contracted a bacterial infection. He was sick off and on for the last few years until this past weekend when his heart stopped.

Doctors say bacterial infections can set up and harm the heart valves.

"Especially if we're talking left-side valves, the aortic and mitral valves, we can see these patients set up with heart failure," Waldman said.

Since Diana died in the line of duty, his wife will receive a portion of his pay and benefits for life and the state will cover costs of college for his four children.
squareone 11:06 AM 03-18-2011
What kind of infection was it??????

I don't know what one's chances are of contracting something as a result of mouth to mouth resuscitation. but whatever it is for adults, I would expect it to be waaaaay lower for an infant, right?
Cat Herder 11:17 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
What kind of infection was it??????

I don't know what one's chances are of contracting something as a result of mouth to mouth resuscitation. but whatever it is for adults, I would expect it to be waaaaay lower for an infant, right?
Bacterial Endocarditis is often caused by Strep or Staph infection.

The complete information about officer Diana was not available, but still something to keep in mind when it comes to protecting yourself while caring for children (or adults, for that matter).

My understanding of this is that kids tend to have healthier hearts than adults so would be less likely to contract it.
mac60 11:32 AM 03-18-2011
When I took CPR we were trained to use a device where you did not actually have skin to skin contact by mouth. Here are some examples. http://www.laerdal.com/nav/19/CPR-Barrier-Devices

I am surprised the FD does not use these. We were always told that when you give CPR the person will throw up.

That is very sad.
Cat Herder 11:38 AM 03-18-2011
He was a Deputy, first on scene, before EMS/Fire arrival. The scene has to be "cleared" before the rest can enter. Few are prepared for how they will react when it is an infant placed in their arms, YKWIM?... It is primal.

We are at just as much risk by the daily wiping of noses, picking up of all objects slimy, cleaning up the puddles and the unavoidable sticky finger face grab.

That is why I wanted to share his story here.
Tags:article, bacterial endocarditis, contagious, infection, staph infection
Reply Up