Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Mention When You or Your Child are Sick?
SunflowerMama 04:03 AM 04-10-2011
I know we have talked about this before but I just can't find the thread.

Here's the background/timeline

10 days ago my daughter tests positive for strep. She finished her antibiotics today but is a horrible mess with what seems to be a cold (yucky cough, green runny nose, goopy eyes). Called her pedi Fri and they said since she's on the antibiotics to just watch her and see if she gets worse.

Thursday I come down with a mild sore throat and low grade fever. Head to Minute Clinic after the kids are gone test negative for strep (culture sent to the lab in case the test was administered too early). Haven't heard back from the lab. Last 3 days I've been running low grade fever (highest was 100.9), achy, yucky cough and congestion and more severe sore throat.

Would you email/contact the parents today just to let them know that my daughter and I are sick. Because I had no voice Friday and was coughing a bit they knew I wasn't well but don't know if I should update them anyway.

My husband is taking the later part of tomorrow off so I can go back to the doctor if I'm still sick and I'll also be taking my daughter back to her pedi tomorrow.

What would you do?
morgan24 04:17 AM 04-10-2011
I usually let them know ahead of time. Give them the choice to come or not.
GG~DAYCARE 04:55 AM 04-10-2011
My thinking is...would you allow dck into your home if they had same symptoms? I would close tomorrow and go to the doc and ask if you are OK to do dc. I have gone to urgent care on a Sunday just to get the doc to say "no strep, no flu. You are fine to do dc tomorrow". It takes away the questioning and guilt you would feel if you open and someone gets sick. I hate to hear a dcp say "well all the kids were exposed already so why can't they come to dc". If I am unsure I always reverse the roles to get my answer! Good luck and feel better!!! Maybe you need the day to just take care of yourself and daughter! I know those days are far and few between for us dcp's!
Meyou 05:42 AM 04-10-2011
I always tell parents if my children are sick with anything more than a cold. I keep them seperated in our living area where the DCK's aren't allowed to go but I would want to know if there were contagious children around so I feel it's only fair I inform them.

If I'm sick I mention it at the door but if I'm well enough to work I trust that proper handwashing will protect the kids from my germs as much as it's possible.

I also inform families if a DCK comes down with anything other than a headcold. Things like strep and pink eye can be treated quickly with less symptoms if the parents are aware and look for signs of illness early on.
SunflowerMama 06:26 AM 04-10-2011
The thing is neither of us are showing signs of anything other than a cold. She has finished her antibiotics for the strep she tested pos. for over a week ago and I tested neg for strep on Thursday.

So right now I think it's just cold symptoms for both of us.
MG&Lsmom 06:29 AM 04-10-2011
I must have the same thing as you! It started on Wed and got progressively worse, tho I never lost my voice. I'm pretty sure I got it from the DCKs so I did not mention it at all. At my last pick up on Friday DCM asked if it was a bad day cuz I looked so tired and horrible. My reply was, "No, I've come down with whatever your son has had all week. I guess it's not allergies afterall."
SunflowerMama 06:50 AM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
I must have the same thing as you! It started on Wed and got progressively worse, tho I never lost my voice. I'm pretty sure I got it from the DCKs so I did not mention it at all. At my last pick up on Friday DCM asked if it was a bad day cuz I looked so tired and horrible. My reply was, "No, I've come down with whatever your son has had all week. I guess it's not allergies afterall."
I felt the same way because I sent a dck home with a horrid cough Wednesday (had been bad all week) and mom claimed allergies but when dck and older sibling returned to care Friday older sibling said he had a fever at the doctor's office when I made them get a doctor's note (note said just allergies). Hmm mom didn't mention the fever when she brought them back.
cheerfuldom 09:50 AM 04-10-2011
I don't say anything unless I am unable to work period (never happened yet) or if I know 100% that it is something serious or contagious. If I am able to work, regardless of what I or the kids have, I call all the parents, let them know what is up and give them the choice to come or not. I will still be open and will get paid whether they take the risk or not. If my kids are ill, my husband will stay home with them if necessary and stay upstairs and away from the others. 90% of the time, anything that my kids have they got from the DC kids anyway. Illness has not been too big of an issue here because we have a small group and we just don't get seriously ill too often. The normal coughs and colds but rarely ever anything more.
nannyde 10:34 AM 04-10-2011
I wouldn't tell the parents if my son was sick because he doesn't have anything to do with the day care. If he had been around the kids or in contact with them before he got sick then of course I would tell them.

I would definitely tell them if I was sick.
SunflowerMama 10:44 AM 04-10-2011
I just sent them all a message saying we've been sick this weekend and that my husband is taking tomorrow morning off. He will keep the girls upstairs until the pedi's office opens and then take them to make sure it's nothing more than a cold.
Michael 02:13 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I know we have talked about this before but I just can't find the thread.
Is this the thread? https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29275
Symphony 07:59 AM 04-11-2011
If my older kids are sick, I might mention they are home, but I don't give details because they are capable of remaining completely seperate from care. If my younger kids are sick, I follow my policy manual. I will close if my younger kids (or myself) are sick in the same manner I would send a child home for.

**I do make exceptions for myself for things like cold sores or if I have had an upset stomach. I am not drooling, mouthing toys, and I know how to practice good handwashing. If a child of mine or in care exhibited these things though, I would exclude.
jojosmommy 11:30 AM 04-11-2011
I USED to call the families and tell them the scoop and let them decide BUT they would all come anyway and anytime within the next month if their kid got sick (even unrelated symptoms) they would in a round about way blame it on my kid being sick so I stopped telling them. I also found that the next time their kid was sick they would want a free go to work day and send their kid sick anyway assuming I wouldnt care.
Tags:antibiotics, sick policy, sickness notice, strep throat
Reply Up