Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Children Going to School and Still Doing Childcare
Country Kids 07:22 AM 08-09-2011
All my children are in school and the last one will be in middle school in a couple of years. How many of you are planning on finding a different career when your children are all in school or do you plan on continuing childcare?

I was actually thinking if things turn around in a few years of looking at working in the schools because then I would have the same days off, summers, etc. The only thing is I will be making way less than childcare so I'm not sure if its something that can be a reality.

One thing I don't like is being "trapped" by the money I make doing childcare. No other job is going to pay that but also no other job is going to make you work 50+ hours a week unless you are a lawyer, doctor, or something in that nature. I feel like I'm always working but not getting ahead in life!
sharlan 07:30 AM 08-09-2011
I started my dacare when my daughters were 5 and 7. I kept doing daycare while they were in school. When I temporarily shut down 5 yrs ago, they were 27 and 29.Although I "shut down", I still had my granddaughters, now my grandsons that I cared for. So in essence, I've never stopped providing daycare.

At times, I took little part time jobs in the evening (office cleaning, deli counter) to get out of the house.
AnythingsPossible 07:41 AM 08-09-2011
My kids are in 10th, 7th and 5th. I have thought of closing numerous times over the past few years, but as you stated, nothing will pay me what daycare does.

I think I will probably do daycare till my youngest starts high school, then i plan to look into substitute teaching. Here subs are paid pretty well and are usually busy if you are willing to travel, though that could change over the years!

The other thing you could look into is watching for teachers. I currently have all but one family that teaches and am looking forward to next summer as the family who doesnt teach is only part time. The loss of income in summer will stink, but it will be worth it.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 08-09-2011
My kids are 20 and 23. I am still doing child care. I will be doing it until the mortgage on my child care home is paid off.
MarinaVanessa 08:03 AM 08-09-2011
My kids are young (6 years and 9 months) but I plan on doing childcare for a very long time. I have had other jobs before but I have always come back to childcare or have done childcare on the side as a second income until I started my DC to do it full-time. It's great... and now when things get difficult I just figure out which of my DC parent's is driving me crazy and fire them . Doing childcare is easier than dealing with parents.

I plan on doing childcare until my DH retires. Who knows, maybe I'll keep doing it and he can do it with me.
Crazy8 08:16 AM 08-09-2011
my youngest is going into kindergarten this year - which is only half day for us - but I have thought about just doing before/after school care once he is in school full days. I'm just not sure I would like doing that age group, not sure I can compete with the schools after care program, etc. It would mean totally revamping my playroom AGAIN too.
I will probably just stick with things the way they are till I can afford not to!
DCMom 08:47 AM 08-09-2011
My kids are 25, 22 and 18. The 18 year old just graduated from high school and is starting college this month; she is getting her degree in Early Childhood Education so she can go into business with me.

I guess I'm in it for the long haul
mac60 08:49 AM 08-09-2011
JenNJ 09:06 AM 08-09-2011
I will likely start transitioning to all teachers children in the next few years. My oldest is entering school this fall, so I would like to have summers and school breaks off with my own kids.
cheerfuldom 09:18 AM 08-09-2011
I'm finishing my college education and have no desire to do this long term. Its working for now and I have learned a lot over the past 4 or 5 years but I will be ready to be done doing this when my girls are school aged.
permanentvacation 09:43 AM 08-09-2011
I plan to do home daycare - unless I can open a daycare center - until the day I die! The pay is better than any other job I'm qualified for, if I do lose a daycare kid, I still have income from other clients, I can sit on my butt for most of the day, go to the bathroom whenever I need to, clean my house while I'm working which allows me to have the weekends for fun, when my personal children grow up, hopefully, maybe, I will be able to watch my grandchildren!, if any friends or family take vacation and want to visit me, I can have people visit me while I am working ( I don't have to take my vacation days off work), I can HIRE SOMEONE ELSE TO DO MY JOB FOR ME AND I STILL GET SOME OF THAT INCOME!!!! Yeah, I like my job - I want to do this forever and ever!!! (unless I open a daycare center)
snbauser 09:48 AM 08-09-2011
I officially started in this business when my youngest was 6 months old and planned on staying in it until he started school full time. He is now going into 4th grade. I love my job and plan to continue for a very long time.
Country Kids 09:50 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I plan to do home daycare - unless I can open a daycare center - until the day I die! The pay is better than any other job I'm qualified for, if I do lose a daycare kid, I still have income from other clients, I can sit on my butt for most of the day, go to the bathroom whenever I need to, clean my house while I'm working which allows me to have the weekends for fun, when my personal children grow up, hopefully, maybe, I will be able to watch my grandchildren!, if any friends or family take vacation and want to visit me, I can have people visit me while I am working ( I don't have to take my vacation days off work), I can HIRE SOMEONE ELSE TO DO MY JOB FOR ME AND I STILL GET SOME OF THAT INCOME!!!! Yeah, I like my job - I want to do this forever and ever!!! (unless I open a daycare center)
How do you do it when people want to come on vacation and visit while you are working? I'm very serious on that because that has always been a thorn in my side. I have had out of town guests come and I have to be right with the kids and of course I can't visit, talk, relax and enjoy their company. Also, they will want to go see some local sights and I can't go with them, the rest of the family can but I would have to stay back with the dcks.
Maddy'sMommy 09:54 AM 08-09-2011
I plan on stopping once my kids are in full-time school. That's a long way off though. My daughter is only 9 months, and I plan on having one more in 2013. lol.
WImom 11:22 AM 08-09-2011
I actually did childcare when mine were 18m and 3y and then stopped when my oldest was 5 (we moved). I decided to stay home until my youngest started full time school (this past school year) so I started up again last sept. It's much easier this time around with them in school.

The summer has been hard and I can't wait until school starts again.
TBird 11:43 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I started my dacare when my daughters were 5 and 7. I kept doing daycare while they were in school. When I temporarily shut down 5 yrs ago, they were 27 and 29.Although I "shut down", I still had my granddaughters, now my grandsons that I cared for. So in essence, I've never stopped providing daycare.

At times, I took little part time jobs in the evening (office cleaning, deli counter) to get out of the house.
I totally agree with Sharlan....I always keep my foot in the door with a Part Time business job. It keeps my skills & resume current & relevant as the years go by.
KBCsMommy 12:25 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I'm finishing my college education and have no desire to do this long term. Its working for now and I have learned a lot over the past 4 or 5 years but I will be ready to be done doing this when my girls are school aged.
I hear you on that note!! My son will be starting kindergarten in 2 years and the littles I have now will probaly move on to preschool by that time. Then it will be my turn to get back to school and out in the real world!!!
countrymom 03:36 PM 08-09-2011
well, all 4 of my kids are in school full time (they are age 7-13) I will retire from doing daycare, I already know this. There is no job out there that can give me the hours that I need, the money is good and I don't work weekends and if there is a problem I can help my kids out. My kids like the fact that they know i'm home and when they come home from school they know I'm there and it makes a big difference. I would like to get my ece. My odd wants to be a teacher and work with younger kids. I use to be a nurse. I worked steady afternoons, missed out alot, had to work weekends, had to work holidays, felt like I was rushing all the time, even thou I still have crazy days its nothing like working outside the house.
Unregistered 05:21 PM 08-09-2011
I was thinking of changing jobs when my grandsons didn't "need" me but they are almost 14 and starting high school this year ...they have spent just as much time with me this summer as always ...LOL! Also, I have been doing this for 24 years and I've never made as much money as I have been at any other job so since my husband is semi-retired and not earning as much, I HAVE to work at this to keep the household going ...until I can hopefully get things paid off and start getting my old age pension....
permanentvacation 04:47 AM 08-10-2011
Country Kids

I simply let the daycare kids have a bit more free play time and longer outdoor time while my friends/family and I visit. I do some educational activities, but not as many so I have more time to visit. My parents are fine with that. They know that it's not going to ruin their children if they do not do the exact planned out routine for a few days here and there. All my parents have ever said is that they are sure their child enjoyed playing longer. I also hire my alternate (substitiute) so I can leave my job and go out with my family/friends. My alternate does keep the typical routine, including teaching them the typical preschool lessons. Of course I don't have guests constantly, but on ocassion, things work just fine.
mom2many 05:18 PM 08-10-2011
My kids are 20, 22 and 25 and I started my childcare business when my oldest was 6 weeks old and have been doing it ever since! My husband retired 2 years ago, but I plan to continue doing this till I don't have a mortgage anymore.

When my kids were in high school, I thought about getting a job outside the home, but realized how much I wanted to be at home in the afternoon, when they were out of school and couldn't find anything that paid as well either!

Now that my own kids are grown and moved out of the house, I continue to enjoy the little ones that come each day and fill my home with laughter!
mismatchedsocks 06:14 PM 08-10-2011
That was my plan when I started, then so many oppurtunities were run by me, that i graduated with associates in early childhood and now working toward bachelors with special needs licensurage. I also went from probationary, to certified, to licensed and just became the only family provider in my town to be accredited. Next step is to find a perfect group daycare that I can set up like a home daycare....on the lookout now.....so i guess i am in it for the long haul!! And love it!
Tags:business plan, goals, planning for future, provider - own child
Reply Up