Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tons Of Questions About Before/After School Care?
cheerfuldom 08:18 PM 08-04-2011
I have worked with school aged kids before (as a coach, Sunday School teacher and other capacities) but have never had any as part of my daycare. Please bear with me as I figure out if I even want to open up my daycare to this option. Feel free to direct me to past threads too.

1. Is there anyone here that just does before/after school care? If you do both before/after and full time care, is it a problem to have a wider variety of ages in your group?

2. What is your schedule like for activities after school? Do you serve any meals or snacks? Do you allow TV or video games? Do you have a structure or just let them chill as long as they are not causing trouble? Do parents expect any specific thing with after school care or just basic supervision?

3. Do you provide transportation to and from school? If kids ride the bus, is it safe to allow them to walk to your home from the bus stop? Are you responsible for them between the bus stop and your home should something happen?

4. How is your space set up? Do you have a separate area for them or are they like part of the family for a few hours?

5. What do you do if school is cancelled for the day? Do you then provide all day care? Do you charge for days that kids are not in attendance such as holidays, your vacation, their vacations, sick days, etc?

6. How do you figure out a fair rate?

7. Any pitfalls a newbie should be aware of?

I realize this is a lot of questions and appreciate anyone taking the time to jot down some thoughts.
Pammie 10:50 AM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
i have worked with school aged kids before (as a coach, sunday school teacher and other capacities) but have never had any as part of my daycare. Please bear with me as i figure out if i even want to open up my daycare to this option. Feel free to direct me to past threads too.

1. Is there anyone here that just does before/after school care? If you do both before/after and full time care, is it a problem to have a wider variety of ages in your group?generally not a problem to have a mixed-age group, but i do interview the s/a child, as much as the parents to make sure that they are a good fit for my home. Kids that have grown up with me, and know all my rules and expectations are the best

2. What is your schedule like for activities after school? very loose schedule. Snack time is when they get in from school, then it's outside until pick-up on nice days, or just let them choose activities on inside days.do you serve any meals or snacks? just afternoon snack - and it's just that, a snack not a meal. I do give the s/agers the flexibility to choose an alternate snack if they don't care for what the littles are having.do you allow tv or video games? tv-no. But if they bring their own hand-held game, they're allowed to play it with the volume low. They know that they are solely responsible for their game set and all of their game cartridges.do you have a structure or just let them chill as long as they are not causing trouble? mostly just chill. These kids have been programmed in school all day, and most go off to sports/activities in the evening, i believe they need some time to veg if they want to. Generally their "chill" time is no longer than 20-25 minutes though before they're enticed to join in what someone else is doingdo parents expect any specific thing with after school care or just basic supervision?i'm very clear during interviews that i offer basic supervision to the s/a set. If they need to start on homework, they're welcome to do so, but i don't guarantee that i'll be able to help - and care for the littles at the same time

3. Do you provide transportation to and from school? noif kids ride the bus, is it safe to allow them to walk to your home from the bus stop? yes, it's just one block on a very private, residential streetare you responsible for them between the bus stop and your home should something happen? i suppose i am, but they all know that they need to get to my home asap - honestly, most times they run here They all know that if they get into any mischief between the bus and my house, they'll face my wrath when they get here

4. How is your space set up? Do you have a separate area for them or are they like part of the family for a few hours? no separate space - they're with the group.

5. What do you do if school is cancelled for the day? because most of my regular dcps are teachers, it's never an issue for me to have a spot on a no-school day if they need it. do you then provide all day care? Do you charge for days that kids are not in attendance such as holidays, your vacation, their vacations, sick days, etc?i only charge for regularly scheduled days and of course a full-day rate if they're here on a no-school day. So they do pay if school is in session ,but they don't attend.

6. How do you figure out a fair rate? i go by what the after-school program at the schools charge and charge the same. Parents that use my s/a care want the personal/home environment for their kids

7. Any pitfalls a newbie should be aware of? set your rules and expectations very strict right from the start. Kids can earn some latitude and privileges by demonstrating responsible behavior. It's easier to ease-up on your rules later, than trying to enforce stricter ones once they're established. Also, limit snacks to a single snack-time serving - otherwise many s/a kids will try to eat you out of house and home

i realize this is a lot of questions and appreciate anyone taking the time to jot down some thoughts.
good luck!
mom2many 02:53 PM 08-05-2011
When my oldest started school, I began to watch a few other school aged children, while continuing to care for the younger ones full time. It has always worked out well having a variety of ages. The older ones look forward to seeing the toddlers and babies when they get home from school and will read to them and enjoy playing/interacting with them too. (Many do not have siblings at home & love the little ones) Everyone typically plays in the same area, unless they are playing a game or doing a puzzle with small pieces.

I take them to and from my neighborhood school. At one point, this was a huge deal, because I had to load everyone into my suburban to do drop off and pick up. Now that my husband is retired and helps me, I am able to leave the younger ones at home with him and that's been a big help!

After school they get a snack (most of them are famished, because they usually do not eat their lunches!) so I give them something that is nutritious and substantial. Once snack is finished, they begin their homework and I will assist and help them if necessary. When homework is done and checked, they are free to play and enjoy their afternoon. I want them to have a relaxed atmosphere and they get to run around and play outside or spend quiet time playing inside with games/toys....some of the kinders will even take a nap! I have no video games and none of them bring hand held games from home.

I charge the same amount when they come before/after school, as I do when they are not in school. They are paying for the spot. This makes it simple and easy for in service days etc. When they are sick and do not come, they still pay me as well. My rates are pretty comparable to the YMCA on site at school and the parents like the home environment I provide.

In 20 years, I've never experienced any negative pitfalls to watching a diverse age group and have always had very good success with it. It's proven to be beneficial to the older kids, as well as the younger ones!
Tags:after school, after school - tips, after school care, before school, school-age activities
Reply Up