Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nope, I Won't Comp You The Day
sahm2three 05:57 PM 12-20-2011
So I am closed Friday and Monday. I am asked today by a dcp if I would allow her child to come on Thurs since I am closed on Friday. Her child isn't normally here on Thurs. or Mondays. I say, no, no one is getting credit or being allowed to move days to make up for the paid holiday days. She was appalled. Sorry. Not the way it works. CONTRACTED hours. Ugh.
momofboys 06:10 PM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
So I am closed Friday and Monday. I am asked today by a dcp if I would allow her child to come on Thurs since I am closed on Friday. Her child isn't normally here on Thurs. or Mondays. I say, no, no one is getting credit or being allowed to move days to make up for the paid holiday days. She was appalled. Sorry. Not the way it works. CONTRACTED hours. Ugh.
ITA with you - stand your ground!
cheerfuldom 07:02 PM 12-20-2011
If that is your policy, then stick with it.
Meyou 02:00 AM 12-21-2011
I would have let her come Thursday if she wanted to pay for an extra day. But other than that I totally agree with you.
godiva83 06:09 AM 12-21-2011
I agree, they signed the contract they should know the policies.

I got yelled at first thing this AM because a child has been off sick all week and I will not refund her pay. She said YOU get sick days ( which I have never taken) so should we!! Well lady, you signed the paper I didn't force you
e.j. 11:07 AM 12-21-2011
Normally, if I have an opening available during the same week, I'll allow a parent to switch days if I plan to be closed for a holiday on the day their child is scheduled to be here. I can't offer it to everyone all of the time and the parents all seem to understand that so luckily, it's not something I get asked for very often.

Taking paid holidays guarantees my income so I can pay the bills - which is my main concern. As long as I'm not losing money, I don't mind switching days. I've got good familiies, though, so I look at it as being flexible for my clients. If it doesn't cost me money and it makes them happy, I figure it's a win for both of us. Ultimately, if they're happy with the service I provide, they're more likely to recommend me to others who are looking for child care.

I think you have every right to enforce your contract and I agree you did nothing wrong. Just saying I do it a little differently here.
Crystal 01:48 PM 12-21-2011
Same here e.j. If I have space, they can come. Good Will goes a long way
sahm2three 01:53 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Same here e.j. If I have space, they can come. Good Will goes a long way
This is the thing, this mom expected that I would just do it. I have helped her out in the past, if one of the kids were sick I would let her switch a day. She has begun to take advantage. The paid holidays almost NEVER affect her with her contracted days. Mondays are affected quite often and she isn't contracted for Mondays. I just figure it isn't fair for everyone else to have to make other arrangements all the time and not her. I am getting a bit jaded I think with all the junk I have been dealing with daycare wise lately. I just need to have SOME of my policies upheld!
youretooloud 01:56 PM 12-21-2011
If I have the space on that Thursday, then I happily allow it. It doesn't bug me at all.

But, I have one kid that I would almost pay to stay home... he's a handful. I'd say no to them, just because I really don't want him on his normal day off.

All the rest, I'd say "sure!"
mac60 03:02 AM 12-22-2011
It's called abusing the system, some people think they are entitled. I have been in the same situation with a past family. You know, that family dubbed PITA. The family that accuses "you" of getting your child sick at your daycare even though they work at an elementary school and allow their 5 year old to Suck on the shopping cart at WalMart.......Yep, saw it with my own eyes. OMG, disgusting.

Well, this very family, because the mom worked at the school cafeteria, got a lot of Mondays off, from Fair Day, to Labor Day, to Teacher Service days and schools were closed. So basically every Monday celebrated holiday was off plus several Mondays for various reasons of closing the schools. Their designated days were Mon-Thr-Fri, that was the schedule.....until a Monday holiday or school closure....then she would switch her days to Tues-Thr-Fri. Well, I caught on pretty quickly and after a year....yep I let it go on that long, I gave her another copy of my handbook and explained that if she switched a day to get out of a holiday or school closing day, she would be charged for 4 days then. The left about 4 weeks later. Good. PITA family for sure. Same mom who said to me....."I don't want to pay you for the 2 weeks the girls arn't here due to Christmas break". ***, I dropped 1 day of pay for the 2 weeks, so she only paid for 4 days off instead of 6. Users and abusers, they are everywhere.

I am all for helping someone out when needed, whether it is parent is running late at work, or family emergency, whatever, but don't screw me, there is a big big difference here.
CheekyChick 05:47 AM 12-22-2011
I offered to let children come another day of the week (if I had space) if they were supposed to come on Friday. That's not my policy, but it's the holidays and I feel especially full of good will.
Tags:comped day, free childcare, free days
Reply Up