Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Movement and Sound/Breathing Monitors
SSWonders 11:32 AM 09-19-2013
I have a 15 month old dcg who's parents have asked me to go back to giving her a second nap. I don't mind doing that, but the other kids are awake at that point and I don't want to constantly be on them to keep it down so the dcg can sleep. I do have the option of putting her in another room, with the parents blessing. But, I'm very nervous about doing that. My daughter is a nanny for a 7 month old set of twin boys. Three weeks ago they lost one of them to SIDS. So, so sad. I am thinking about using one of the under the mattress monitors that detect breathing and movement. Does anyone have any experience with these? Thoughts?
craftymissbeth 11:38 AM 09-19-2013
My sister lost my nephew to SIDS and used both a prescription apnea monitor and some sort of sensor under the mattress for her next baby.

She said she felt much better using them.

With that said, after 6 months the risk of SIDS is greatly reduced and certainly by 15 months the risk is very, very minimal.
Scout 12:30 PM 09-19-2013
That is terrible. I agree with Craftymissbeth that the risk should be minimal at her age. How sad for that family, your daughter, and everyone involved. I wish they knew why this stuff happens.
Scout 12:31 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
My sister lost my nephew to SIDS and used both a prescription apnea monitor and some sort of sensor under the mattress for her next baby.

She said she felt much better using them.

With that said, after 6 months the risk of SIDS is greatly reduced and certainly by 15 months the risk is very, very minimal.
I am very sorry for your family's loss as well. It must be a nightmare for them.
spinnymarie 12:38 PM 09-19-2013
I agree, I'm so sorry about the twin. That is truly terrifying.
I also agree that at 15 months it should be MUCH less of a worry (though *should* doesn't necessarily help).
I don't have experience with the sleep monitors, aside from the occasional story in both directions - either it saved the baby's life or didn't help to save the baby's life. I know they are also prone to false alarms.
Hopefully you can find something to put you at ease and get the baby another nap!
TheGoodLife 03:46 PM 09-19-2013
What a horrible experience for the family, and your daughter as well!
I don't think it'd work for that age, but a great one is the Angelcare Deluxe one- I used it with my girls and it was a great way to get rest knowing they were breathing. There were some false alarms where it didn't register her breathing and it started beeping, but I'd rather have that than the worry. However, once they start to move and get up, and it wouldn't work well. I'd just do a sound monitor in the situation with a toddler, but you could always try it
Cradle2crayons 03:49 PM 09-19-2013
I agree for a 15 month old there isn't much yu can do as far as prevention.

For the smaller ones the mats etc work.

Once they start turning over and moving around, they aren't accurate.
missy 02:12 PM 09-20-2013
I second the Angelsounds, I could have never survived the worries of motherhood without it. I STILL use it with my 2yo!

A natural worrywart, I did a lot of research on SIDS while pregnant. Granted, the numbers are in our favor but it IS a real risk and DOES happen just like other horrible things we don't expect. SIDS is rare after 6 months of age and almost unheard of after a year, but keep in mind that a baby's death is classified as "SIDS" when there is no known medical reason for the death (an autopsy will show a healthy baby, in other words). But babies can stop breathing for all sorts of other reasons (apnea, undiagnosed heart condition, allergic reaction, choking, etc.). Movement monitors can give so much peace of mind. We just kept using ours for our daughter because we both agreed why not, it can't hurt? :-) Now if she crawls out of her crib we will know as well. And for some reason they are much cheaper than regular monitors.

One thing about these monitors though is you need a steady room--if it picks up on movement then the alarm won't sound if the child stops breathing. For example in hotels, rooms with a window AC, pets or kids causing movement on the floors, etc. I am still only in the planning phase of my child care center (feverishly trying to find property!!), but I planned to do some research to see if these monitors can be used in a daycare effectively (like a few in one room).

Sorry to ramble on but I am just a huge proponent of movement monitors (obviously, lol).
Tags:baby monitor, cctv, monitor
Reply Up